Designed from the outset as a military type, the Auster AOP 9 first flew in March 1954. It was a two/three seat AOP/light liaison aircraft powered by a 180 h.p. Blackburn Cirrus Bombardier 203 engine. The example shown, WZ670, flew with No 656 Squadron, RAF.
AOP9 WZ672 is owned by F & H (Aircraft) Ltd and is registered G-BDER, although markings are only carried on the owner's name plate.
The Auster B.4, designed as an ambulance/freighter, was a four-seat aircraft powered by a 180 h.p. Blackburn Cirrus Bombadier 702. It was first flown in September 1951 and is seen here in civil markings G-AMKL.
The sole Auster B.4, seen during evaluation by the Army and Boscombe Down. It bears the military serial XA177 and is seen after rebuilding with modified fin and rudder. The B.4 was dismantled at Rearsby in 1956.
View of the prototype Auster B.8 Agricola demonstrating its spraying capabilities. This aircraft first flew at Rearsby on December 8, 1955, with the Class B markings G-25-3. The British marks G-ANYG were not taken up and it became ZK-BMI. It was dismantled at Rearsby in 1959.
The Autocrat was the mainstay of the British lightplane and club movement during the early post-war years. Here Auster J-1 Autocrat G-AGXJ of the London Aero Motor Services is seen near Elstree in 1946.
The Auster model P Avis was not a success. G-AJXW was dismantled at Rearsby and the registration cancelled in February 1949.
This Auster J-5F Aiglet Trainer was later converted to a J-5K. For two years its pilot was comedian Jimmy Edwards, but for many years it was flown by Keith Ewart at Elstree.
Part of an early batch of Auster D.5/160s delivered to Portugal, CS-LEB is seen shortly before departure from Rearsby for that country in early 1961.
The wingless fuselage of the sole Auster C.6 Atlantic at the SBAC Farnborough Show in September 1957.