TWO OF A KIND. Likely to cause possible recognition confusion are these two twin-boom cargo transports, the U.S.A.F., French-based Fairchild C-119C-FA Packet (photo) and the Nord 2501 Noratlas, the latter now engaged in North African operations against the rebels.
Seen at Stavanger's Sola airport recently, a realistically-painted Luftwaffe Junkers Ju 52/3M g7e. However, the starboard side retains the correct S.A.S./D.N.L. colours and registration LN-KAG. The reason? LN-KAG is taking part in a new Norwegian film called "Contact".
A sky-writing North American AT-6A Texan (ex-Flygvapnet Sk 16) bought in May 1955 by Herr A. P. Botved and normally based at Dusseldorf. Smoke chemicals are in rear cockpit and fed to engine exhaust through stack. Visible in background is B.K.S.'s Auster 5 G-AKWS.
First photo of the new Hiller 12-C (U.S. Army H-23C) mounted on skids. Canopy is more rounded. This is Australia's first commercial helicopter - T.A.A.'s VH-THA, beating A.N.A. by one day. W. German air force will have 14 Model 12-Cs.
TWO OF A KIND. Likely to cause possible recognition confusion are these two twin-boom cargo transports, the U.S.A.F., French-based Fairchild C-119C-FA Packet and the Nord 2501 Noratlas (photo), the latter now engaged in North African operations against the rebels. This recent production model (2501-90) has the now standard increased area dorsal fillet. The Noratlas is to be built (112) in Western Germany by Flugzeugbau Nord. An initial batch (25) will be French-built.
PANAMANIAN PBM-5R. With crudely-daubed ferry registration N10419, this ex-U.S. Navy Martin PBM-5R Mariner (BuAer 95011) was photographed on its way from N.A.S. Norfolk, Va., to Panama. The U.S. Navy is now releasing all of its PBM-5 Mariners to civilian buyers - less radar and armament. In this case, the PBM-5R was already converted as a forty-eight "bucket-seat" transport (five crew). Note the JRM Mars-type bows' transparency . First seen on PBM-3Rs and PBM-5Gs (U.S.C.G.), PBM-3Rs were U.S.N. contract-flown by P.A.A. and AmExport Airlines during the war.
In June "Letters" Reader Porteous mentions the Ferranti on-loan Meteor "11 1/2" (WD670) - which was illustrated in the April issue. Now another reader has produced a "normal-nosed" M.o.S. Meteor "11 1/2" (WD791) complete with wing 20-mm. cannon.
Smartly bedecked with "Royal Air Force" on the white top decking is this de Havilland D.H.114 Heron Srs. 2 (XG603) which is based at Washington, D.C., for the use of the British Ambassador, Sir Roger Makins.
Only Convair T-29A resident in Europe is based at Sculthorpe, attached to the 47th Operations Squadron, U.S.A.F. The T-29A is a direct Convair 240 conversion with four dorsal astrodomes and built-in steps as shown in this photo of 49-1941-A (c/n. 20a). The suffix "A" indicates "last three" serial duplication .
Latest Steve Wittman Tailwind (N9052C-Exp'l.) has a larger-area, redesigned fin and rudder. The single-rod landing gear is the latest development of the Wittman-patented oleo-leaf leg. The Tailwind is powered by a 115-h.p. Lycoming.
Now called the Auster Alpha, the Auster J/1 conversion to J/1N standard is clearly shown in this photo of G-AJRH (c /n. 2606 of 1947) which belongs to Newcastle-upon-Tyne civic authorities. The chief modifications are the larger Aiglet/Autocar tail and the more powerful 130-h.p. Gipsy Major I.
A 1928/30 Swiss-built Comte A.C.4 Gentleman (ex-CH-262) two-seater is still flying. Owner is A. Kammacher of Lausanne. Power is a 140-h.p. close-cowled, British-built Armstrong Siddeley Genet Major.
This 1925-designed Consolidated PT-1E (A .C.26-233) two-seat primary trainer is owned by Hollywood's Paul Mantz and has appeared in the film "One Man Mutiny". Engine is 180-h.p.Wright V-720.
No Piper Cub but an original single-seater, the Kraemer LK-1 Rapid Rambler (N6002V-Exp'l) cruises at 95 m.p.h. on 65 h.p. Continental A-65-8. Span 24 ft. 6 in.; length 18 ft. 3 in. L. A. Kraemer of Rapid City, South Dakota, is owner-builder.
Photographed at Ellsworth A.F.B. recently, a 1928, 100-h.p. OX-5 powered two seat, Alexander Eaglerock, rebuilt in 1954/55 by its current owner, Floyd Hesler.
The 1952-built prototype Piaggio P.150 (T-6 Texan replacement) now has revised duo-bubble canopy and a machine gun in the starboard wing-camera in port wing. No production order is anticipated.
The 1941-built Player Monoplane (N21778) has unusual all-wood (fabric-covered) Geodetic construction (as Vickers Wellington). Power is 65-h .p. Continental; a.u.w. 750 lb.; cruise 100 m.p.h.; span 30 ft.
A comparatively little-known pre-war American two-seater is the Spartan Model C-3-225 (N720N) shown here with a 250-h.p. Wright Whirlwind R-760, driving a metal two-blade airscrew. Spartan also built Models 7-W (1936) and 12 Executive (1946) cabin monoplanes, plus C-3 dev. U.S. Navy NP-1 (1940) - 201 built.