Air Enthusiast 2007-01
The Roundels File
Fairey Flycatcher N9662 '507' of 402 Flight, HMS 'Courageous', Eastern Mediterranean in 1932.
Fairey Flycatcher N9676 '13' of 407 Flight, HMS 'COurageous', Malta in July 1928.
Fairey Flycatcher N9680 '1' of 401 Flight, HMS 'Argus', Atlantic Waters/Bay of Biscay in 1924/1925.
Fairey Flycatcher S1279 '8' of 409 Flight, HMS 'Glorious' and Hal Far, Malta in early 1931. Plus top wing.
Fairey Flycatcher N9960 '6' of 403 Flight, HMS 'Hermes', in the China Station in 1931.
Fairey Flycatcher S1274 '527' of 401 Flight, HMS 'Furious', Western Mediterranean in early 1933.
N9619 was delivered to Gosport, Hampshire, during the summer of 1924. Much of its time was spent on development flying, before ending up at the RAF Training Base Leuchars from 1928 - illustrated in late 1930 - and was still active in 1934.
An unidentified Flycatcher floatplane over Malta's Grand Harbour, with Valetta in the background.
N9953, the second production Flycatcher amphibian, at Hamble in late 1925. The substantial strut arrangement is evident
A wonderful line-up - place and time unknown. In the foreground is N9933 '10' of 405 Flight, attached to HMS 'Glorious'. This machine was with 405 by the summer of 1929.
The pilot of N9673 of 402 Flight, attached to HMS 'Eagle' having fun around the Maltese coastline, circa 1929. Carrying the individual number '6', note that this has been repeated under the tip of the upper wing
N9678 was the first production Flycatcher fitted with amphibious floats (illustrated). It served initially with the Marine Aircraft Experimental Establishment at Felixstowe, Suffolk, in 1924 and is very likely illustrated during their trials.
S1290, showing its Fairey construction number - F.1114 - behind the serial number. Delivered to Gosport in January 1929, it served with the RAF Training Base Leuchars, Scotland, 1931 to 1933.
N9943 '549' of 405 Flight, HMS 'Glorious', circa mid-1932. Note the pennant attached to the upper aileron.
The prototype Flycatcher, N163, was first flown on November 28, 1922 from Hamble in the hands of Vincent Nicholl. It spent its life involved in testing and trials, and was still extant in 1925.