The first S.E.5, A4561, at Farnborough in its original form, without armament, on November 23, 1916. Maj Frank W. Goodden is in the cockpit.
A4561 after installation of a Vickers gun and the fitting of an overwing gravity tank. Note the extended windscreen and revised exhaust manifolds
The first of a famous breed: A4561, the first prototype S.E.5, at Farnborough on November 23, 1916, in its initial form. Its first flight was made by Frank Goodden on November 22 that year.
The second prototype, A4562, at Farnborough, fully armed and fitted with a large windscreen and overwing gravity tank.
A close-up of A4562, the second prototype, with Goodden in the cockpit, protected by the large windscreen. The slipstream-driven petrol pump under the fuselage is well shown.
The third prototype, A4563, at Farnborough shortly after completion, with overwing gravity tank. The repair to the port upper wing leading edge, necessitated by the removal of the original tank, is visible.
A side view of A4563, showing the higher thrust line of the geared 200 h.p. Hispano-Suiza. Also visible are the transparent panels in the top decking just forward of the rear centre-section struts.
The third S.E.5 prototype at Martlesham Heath at the end of May 1917. Apart from the L-shaped exhaust manifolds it is virtually to production standard, with full-depth radiator shutters and gravity tanks in the centre section leading edge.
The first production S.E.5, A4845, is seen at Martlesham Heath in March 1917, the month it was approved by the RAF’s V.A. Department. It has a wind-driven pump under the fuselage, and the pilot's high position is indicated by the high location of the Aldis sight in the voluminous production-type windscreen.
Capt Albert Ball, DSO, MC, of 56 Squadron, in the cockpit of his much modified S.E.5 at London Colney. The new centre-section with internal gravity tanks, small windscreen and lower pilot’s position are apparent.
Another modified S.E.5 for 56 Squadron was A4853. The gravity tank was retained, but a small windscreen and head fairing were fitted.
A8898 in its original form. This aircraft went first to No 56 Squadron, but was issued to No 60 Squadron in August 1917. Later still it was fitted with a 200 h.p. Hispano-Suiza and was with 40 Squadron by March 1918.
A8898 after modification, with revised cockpit, head fairing, internal gravity tank and long exhaust pipes. This aircraft was struck off charge with 158hr 10min flying time when 2nd Lt L. H. Sutton overturned on landing on March 23, 1918.
A8904 of the second production batch at Farnborough on May 1, 1917. Note blunt wing tips owing to shortened rear spars and shutters over top half of radiator.
S.E.5 A8904 of the second production batch was passed as approved on April 26, 1917, and was photographed at Farnborough on May 1.
Самолет с номером A8907 - S.E.5 из 56-й эскадрильи. На этом истребителе летал кавалер креста Виктории Альберт Белл. На ранних S.E.5 над центропланом верхнего крыла монтировался топливный бак, топливо из которого подавалось самотеком.
Подвижные пулеметы, подобно установленному на раннем S.E.5, были далеки от идеала. Появившиеся позже неподвижные пулеметы стали основным оружием истребителей.
Albert Ball (7 May 1917).
A8913 of 56 Squadron, flown by Lt K. K. Muspratt, had its cockpit widened by fitting slightly convex sides. The picture was taken at Bekesbourne in late June 1917, where 56 Squadron was briefly based to defend London against air attacks.
Sgt Vousden poses with K. K. Muspratt’s S.E.5, A8913, during the fortnight in Bekesboume, Kent, July 1917.
A8916 is here seen at the Central Flying School, fully modified yet with original exhaust manifolds. Both guns are fitted, the Lewis having an unusual bag to catch spent cases. This approved on May 18, 1917.
A8918 went to France on May 25, 1917, and initially served with 56 Squadron. On August 21 it was issued to 60 Sqn and fell into German hands on September 14, 1917, when Lt H. T. Hammond was made P.o.W. By this time it had long exhaust pipes.
The installation of engine no 699/2233/W.D. 8274 in A8922, May 23, 1917, with radiator shutters evident. This S.E.5 was approved two days later.
Approved on June 27, 1917, A8944 had a 200 h.p. Hispano-Suiza with the 24:41 reduction gear ratio. It is seen after a typical failure of its steel-tube undercarriage while serving with 56 Squadron.
The S.E.5b sesquiplane, A8947, on April 30, 1918, showing the streamlined nose and spinner, underslung radiator, head fairing and narrow-chord elevators.
Another view of the S.E.5b in its original sesquiplane form on April 30, 1918. The raked interplane struts are particularly well illustrated.
Vickers-built B536 went to France on August 11, 1917, served with 60 Squadron, and then joined 56 Squadron on February 24, 1918, where it is seen as Capt K. W. Junor's Bubbly Kid II. Note extended Lewis gun pistol grip.
Vickers-built at Weybridge, B636 was a typical production S.E.5a with the 1170-geared engine, four-blade propeller and steel-tube undercarriage.
At Farnborough on July 8, 1950, with false serial B4563
S.E.5a F938 marked as B4563 in 1950.
The first Wolseley Viper installation was made in B4862, seen at Martlesham Heath. Note standard 200 h.p. Hispano-Suiza radiators.
B4862 with the modified Viper installation employing an underslung radiator.
The aircraft was among the many visitors to the PFA Rally at Cranfield early in July 1987; SE.5A G-BLXT is actually a US-Built Eberhardt SE.5E. It has been rebuilt to SE.5A standard and painted to represent James McCudden's 'B4863'.
One of the most famous S.E.5as was B4863, flown in October 1917 by Capt J. T. B. McCudden MC, MM, of 56 Squadron. It had shortened exhaust pipes and enlarged cockpit and was allocated to 40 Squadron on February 23, 1918.
This No. 60 Squadron S.E.5A, B4865, is seen in Holland where it forced-landed and was interned in W.W.I. Note squadron's white disc marking on sides and top of fuselage
In October 1917 B4875 was fitted with the Eeman triple mounting, carrying three Lewis guns firing upwards at an angle of 45°. The breeches of the guns were within the cockpit and a special centre section with three suitable slots was used; the gravity tanks were transferred to the leading edge of the starboard upper wing. The top decking ahead of the cockpit was deepened, a long extended windscreen was fitted, and transparent panels were let into the fuselage sides. The aircraft had the all-wood undercarriage.
B4890 was one of the few S.E.5as to be fitted with narrow-chord elevators. It went to No 56 Squadron and was brought down on November 29 by Schubert of Jasta 6, its pilot, Lt Dodds becoming a PoW. It is seen after capture.
Another of McCudden’s S.E.5a’s was B4891, to which he fitted the spinner of the LVG C.V that he shot down on November 30, 1917. The S.E. had shortened exhaust pipes, narrow-chord elevators and the three-strut undercarriage. It survived until McCudden crash-landed it on March 21, 1918, after sustaining combat damage.
B4897 is seen at Farnborough on November 17, 1917, two days after its approval. It had the “three-strut” undercarriage and a type T.28137 two-blade airscrew. Going to France on November 20, it served with No 80 Squadron and was struck off charge following the death in action of Lt A. W. Morey on January 24, 1918.
B4899 with the second Viper installation arrived at Martlesham for tests on November 25, 1917.
C1091 with an experimental variable-pitch airscrew at RAE Farnborough, a picture dated April 26, 1920. In 1928 this S.E.5a joined the civil register as G-EBQQ.
Flown by Lt H. J. Burden of 56 Squadron, C1096 has an adaptation of a 200 h.p. Hispano-Suiza radiator, but the righthand airscrew and low thrust line denote a Viper engine.
Late Viper-powered S.E.5a C1148 displays its shortened exhaust pipes on June 11, 1920.
Another 56 Squadron S.E.5a with lengthened pistol grip on the Lewis gun, C5303 was built by Vickers at Crayford.
Capt L. W. Jarvis of "C” Flight poses in C5430 "V”. The rear fuselage band was the squadron marking at the time the picture was taken. Well portrayed is the overwing Lewis gun mounting.
A fine study of Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.Sa C6473, built by Wolseley Motors Ltd of Birmingham. This is one of many presentation aircraft paid for by voluntary contributions, and bears the legend "1st (reserve) Garrison Battalion, King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry" on a fabric panel stuck beneath the cockpit.
Austin-built S.E.5a C9051 is seen outside the factory building, which was only pulled down 18 months ago.
The protean D203 with reduced dihedral, narrow-chord ailerons, experimental fin and balanced rudder, independent-axle undercarriage and geared Hispano-Suiza with Viper twin-block radiator system and shortened exhaust pipes.
D203 yet again, this time in May 1922 with an experimental aluminium exhaust manifold, fitted on the port side only.
D3511 of 40 Squadron in 1918, displaying an unusual camouflage scheme. In the cockpit is Maj R. S. Dallas, DSO, DSC, commander of the squadron from March 15, 1918, until his death in action on June 1.
Production Wolseley Motors-built Viper-powered S.E.5a D6933 was flown by Lt J. C. Rorison in 85 Squadron in July 1918.
The photograph of S.E.5a D7020 at Farnborough on November 21, 1919, shows the final standard twin-block Viper radiator with two rows of short horizontal shutters. This aircraft became G-EBQM and survived until December 1932.
SE.5A E5658 serving with No.29 Squadron. Beyond is one of its old adversaries - Fokker D.VII OAW, which appears to be 8438/18.
E5923 at Martlesham Heath with extensively redesigned tail unit.
The title picture shows a ground-running test of the early fire-extinguishing equipment with which Sqn Ldr G. H. Norman experimented at Farnborough in 1920-21. The S.E.5a is E5927, and the picture is dated February 26, 1921.
Today, G-EBIA flies as F904. It is seen here on the flight line at Duxford, along with the Shuttle worth Collection’s Avro 504K ‘H1599’ (G-ADEV).
S.E.5a F927 "A" with thin white fuselage band, seen at Bickendorf while the squadron was part of the Army of Occupation shortly after W.W.I
In the RAF Museum, restored as F938
One of the S.E.5a’s issued to the USAS in 1918 was F8005, seen as aircraft 13 of “B” Flight, 25th Aero Squadron, AEF.
A glimpse of Austin’s S.E.5a production line in late 1918/1919. Most of the aircraft are from the batch E5637-E5936, but the foremost machine, F8014, is from a later batch and bears United States Air Service insignia, as does the wing panel in the middle distance. The low overwing Foster mounting on F8014 indicates that it had a direct-drive engine.
S.E.5a A.S.8044 (probably F8044) in post-war American service at Langley Field.
American S.E.5a A.S.8148 (probably F8148) in service at Selfridge Field after the war, seen minus top cowlings.
Истребитель SE.5a из 85-й эскадрильи, которая после обучения и боевого слаживания в мае 1918 года под командованием майора Эвери Бишопа была отправлена во Францию. Позже в том же году командиром эскадрильи стал майор Эдуард Маннок. В последние месяцы войны SE.5a считался, пожалуй, лучшим боевым самолетом своего класса, находившимся во фронтовых частях и с равным успехом применявшимся для штурмовки наземных целей и борьбы с самолетами противника.
S.E.5a F8953 Creiff No 2 was allocated to 85 Sqn, and was regularly flown by 2nd Lt S. C. Elliott.
Another S.E.5., F8990, this time from a New Zealand reader, Gordon Slatter.
One of single-seater fighters which beat the "Albatros" and Fokker Triplane was the S.E.5A with 240 h.p. Wolseley "Viper."
A Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5A, probably with 92 Squadron at Bickendorf. The inscription "Army Pay Office, Winchester" on the cowling of the 200 h.p. Wolseley Viper engine denotes that it was a presentation aircraft.
Английский истребитель RAF SE-5 ("Эсифайф") из состава 1-й ОИЭ. Всего в Советской России было восемь таких машин, захваченных в качестве трофеев у интервентов и белогвардейцев.
Красвоенлет Н.И.Васильченко у своего "Эсифайфа" N C6377, который ранее числился в составе 2-го авиаотряда Добровольческой армии
Possibly an experimental radiator installation that led to the standardisation of twin-block radiators for the Viper engine, this S.E.5a’s cooling system only differs slightly from final standard.
"FACTORY DESIGNED": THE S.E. 5A WAS AN EARLY SINGLE-SEATER FIGHTER, AND WAS FLOWN BY (AMONG OTHERS) MAJOR MANNOCK, V.C.
An S.E.5a of a Home Defence squadron in experimental camouflage with flame dampers on its exhaust pipes and a Hearne illuminated sight on its Lewis gun.
An S.E.5a of 111 Squadron, RAF, in Palestine, bearing the Squadron's zig-zag marking on its fuselage.
Capt D.Grinell-Milne in Shweinhund;R.A.Caldwell in front of H693, 1919; W. E. Clarkson in E5808, January 26, 1919;American Johnny Speaks with H677, 1919; E. H. Smy "Schmy-ee” with F854, 1919; Lt L. N. Franklin of "C” Flight in C5303, late 1917
Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5as.
Истребители SE.5A из 85-й эскадрильи выстроены в ряд (Сен-Омер, июнь 1918 года). На переднем плане - аэроплан Уильяма Бишопа с кодом C1904. Именно на нем в пятидневных боях Бишоп сбил последние 13 из 72 сбитых им аэропланов.
Июнь 1918 года.Строй SE.5a из 85-й эскадрильи в Сен-Оме. Установленный на верхнем крыле пулемет Lewis дополнял синхронный Vickers, стоявший в фюзеляже перед кабиной.
RAF S.E.5a fighters (11 November 1918).
A line-up of 56 Squadron’s S.E.5s at London Colney on April 7, 1917. Lt Lewis’s S.E.5, A4853, is nearest.
«PEG» - самолет SE.5a из состава американской 94-й истребительной эскадрильи «Hat in the Ring» из 1-й истребительной группы, дислоцировавшейся в Селфридж-Филд в 1919-1922 годах.
В Палестине истребители S.E.5a использовались на заключительной стадии войны. Два истребителя сфотографированы в январе 1918 года. На переднем плане истребитель постройки компании "Martinsyde" (серийный номер - B139). Оба самолета стояли на вооружении 111-й эскадрильи, истребители оснащены бомбодержателями, на B139 подвешены бомбы небольшого калибра.
G. J. C. Maxwell runs out his S.E.5 at Estree Blanche in October 1917. The "ack-emma" beneath the nose is pulling a tail-skid dolly.
The strangely decorated S.E.5.
In spite of ambitious production plans, S.C.43153 was the only all-American built S.E.5a to be completed. Its trials commenced on August 20, 1918.
Used by 56 and 60 Squadrons until it force-landed in Holland on January 6, 1918, B4885 is seen in service with the Netherlands Luchtvaart Afdeling as SE214.
This grey-painted aircraft was the personal mount of Capt K. M. St C. G. Leask when he was a fighting instructor.
A2-33 was one of 35 S.E.5a's given to Australia under the Imperial Gift scheme and numbered from A2-1.
One of the two-seat trainer conversions that were made in 1918.
American S.E.5a A.S.22-316 equipped for skywriting, with three-strut undercarriage and extended exhaust pipes clearing the base of the modified rudder.
THE AERIAL DERBY. Photographs of the starters. 7. S.E.5A. (Two of these machines were starters; but as they were identical we only publish photograph of one)
AIRCRAFT IN THE KING'S CUP: S.E.5A (120-h.p. "Airdisco" and 200-h.p. "Viper").
Major Savage’s first S.E.5A, G-EATE, bought from Handley Page Ltd in November 1921. Note the cutaway area on the starboard elevator, above the smoke pipe.
Cyril Turner demonstrating black skywriting in S.E.5A G-EATE, over Hendon in May 1920.
THIS shows the start for the first (and only) Oxford v. Cambridge Air Race, held at Hendon on July 16, 1921. It was a thrilling event for the competitors, from the two Universities, all flew S.E.5a's and started together.
THE OXFORD AND CAMBRIDGE AIR RACE: At top, the S.E.5A machines lined up before the start. In the centre photograph the machines are seen getting away, and below the Home Secretary, Mr. Shortt, is presenting the Cups to The winning Cambridge Team, Messrs. H. A. Francis, R. K. Muir, and W. S. Philcox.
S.E.5A G-EAXW, ex F5259, owned by the Aircraft Disposal Company Ltd, was borrowed for the one and only Oxford v Cambridge Air Race at Hendon in July 1921. 'XW was flown by N. Pring of Oxford, but engine trouble forced him out of the race.
BRITAIN'S FIRST POST-WAR PRIVATE OWNER: Dr. Whitehead Reid, of Canterbury, registered both his machines as long ago as 1922 - the Avro-Renault on March 31, and the S.E. 5 on October 20. As he was, and still is, totally unconnected with the aircraft industry, he can justly claim to be our first private owner. The photograph shows the method employed for taxying the S.E.5 out "under its own power." Inset, Dr. Whitehead Reid in the cockpit of his S.E.5.
Dr. E. D. Whitehead Reid's S.E.5A G-EBCA, ex E5956, seen at the start of the 1923 Grosvenor Trophy Race at Lympne. It was fitted with an 80 h.p. Renault engine and had a breathtaking top speed of 65 m.p.h.
THE GROSVENOR CHALLENGE CUP: Dr. E. D. Whitehead Reid, who flew his own mount, seen on the left, a Renault-engined (80 h.p.) S.E.5a.
Cornering in the Lympne Open Handicap. Below the Sopwith "Swallow" piloted by Mr. Watts, and above Dr. Whitehead Reid in an S.E.5.
S.E.5A G-EBCA was owned by Dr Whitehead Reid, and was powered by an ancient 80 h.p. Renault, giving it a giddy top speed of 65 m.p.h. It was used for visiting outlying patients for many years until it was scrapped in 1930.
S.E.5A G-EBDT was operated on the Continent, mainly in Germany.
G-EBDU, The Sweep, at Gothenberg during demonstration by M. L. Bramson.
THE RACE FOR THE KING'S CUP: Ten of the faster machines, arranged in the order of starting: 8, S.E.5A;
A rare photograph of an S.E.5A on skis, in this case G-EBDW.
S.E.5A G-EBDY, Smokestream, which was scrapped in January 1924.
G-EBGL, one of the S.E.5As operated in America.
Aeen at Dayton, Ohio, in 1924, this aircraft was one of the 11-strong fleet of the Skywriting Corporation of America, whose S.E.5’s had underslung radiators, pointed spinners and faired cowlings. In this picture it has standard exhaust pipes unsuitable for skywriting.
G-EBIA sweeps low across Hendon aerodrome in March 1927.
Another view of G-EBIA over Hendon in 1927.
Although it has not flown for over twenty-five years, the former skywriting S.E.SA, G-EBIA, still exists, and is being rebuilt for flying by the R.A.E. Farnborough.
One of Maj Jack Savage's fleet of British-registered sky-writing S.E.5a’s, the Wolseley-built G-EBIA, demonstrates its “penmanship” for Flight’s camera at Hendon in March 1927. This aircraft is now the world's only surviving airworthy example of this famous fighter, and makes display appearances bearing its original serial, F904, and the markings of 56 Squadron, one of the most famous First World War units to operate the type.
S.E.5A G-EBIA, with smoke on, at Hendon in March 1927. This SE.5A flew with Savage Skywriting 1923-1928.
G-EBIA demonstrates at altitude for Flight’s photographer.
ENTERTAINER: Tait-Cox on one of the Sky-writing S.E.5's, showing the shape of his loops by means of a smoke trail.
Skywriting speaks for itself - and Persil.
G-EBIB at Hooton in August 1934 with Sidney St Barbe in the cockpit. This aircraft survives to this day in the Science Museum, London.
Savage Skywriting S.E.5A G-EBIB at Hooton in 1934.
Recently returned to the Science Museum at Kensington, S.E.5a G-EBIB is seen at Hendon on December 7, 1935, shortly after its C of A had expired. Owned by Maj Jack Savage and part of a large fleet of S.E.5as used for skywriting - note the smokepipes - ’IB was originally E938 with the REC/RAE. It was put on to the civil register in April 1924 and today is preserved in its skywriting guise, with a restoration to its correct configuration nearing completion.
At Hendon in 1936, in the hangars where it is now preserved
As a Savage skywriter, Mansion, August 2, 1924
G-EBIF was used for skywriting in Germany, and was re-registered in that country as D-1633 in 1929.
GOOD FRIDAY AT BOURNEMOUTH: 2, Dudley Watt on his S.E.5A cuts under Jones on the ANEC II while rounding the turning point.
THE "KILL-JOY" TROPHY: Two of the S.E.5A's taking off together.
Mrs Elliott Lynn’s S.E.5A, G-EBPA, seen here competing in the Killjoy Trophy Race at Bournemouth in April 1927, was later owned by F. G. Miles until scrapped in 1932.
SHERBURN AIR PAGEANT: (6) Mrs. Eliott-Lynn winning the Wattle Handicap
A line-up of five skywriting S.E.5As at Hendon.
A different selection of five S.E.5As at Hendon soon after the company was formed.
MANY S.E.5As appeared on the British civil register in the 1920s. The famous comedian Will Hay owned one - G-EBTO (Airdisco) which like G-EBTK had a four-blade airscrew. Normal power was a 200-h.p. Wolsey Viper. The smaller frontal area of the 90/120-h.p. Airdisco offset the lower power conversion at Brooklands, 1927
Another former Savage S.E.5a was G-EBVB, seen here. Registered to Maj Savage in January 1928, it went to Australia in the same year. It later returned to Hendon and is seen here during a visit to Barton, Manchester in August 1933, piloted by W. Ogden. It is believed that it was attached to National Aviation Day Displays for that year’s season. The aircraft was scrapped at Hendon after expiry of its C of A in 1934.
Three dismantled S.E.5As, including G-EBVB and G-EBIC, at Hendon in 1936.
SHERBURN AIR PAGEANT: (4) Flying Officer Scroggs again winning in the Open Handicap;
SHERBURN AIR PAGEANT: (3) Flying Officer Scroggs winning the Private Owners' Handicap on S.E.5a "QM"
AT THE BOURNEMOUTH MEETING: 3, Flying Officer A. H. Wheeler banks his S.E.5A around the aerodrome turning point in the Holiday Final Race.
HOOTON AIR PAGEANT: (3) Mrs. Eliott-Lynn (left) on her S.E. 5a beating Capt. Sparks on S.E.5 "TO" by 2 secs, in the High Power Handicap.
AN EXTRA TURN AT THE KING'S CUP RACE: An S.E.5 (Savage Sky-Writing) and a Bristol "Bloodhound" put up some smart banking during the impromptu race at Hendon last Saturday.
NECK AND NECK: Hamersley on the Avro "Lynx" and Watt on his S.E.5A approaching the finishing line in the High-Power Handicap. Watt won by a few feet.
Hot on the heels of the Fury, S.E.5a B4863/G-BLXT, made its first full flight on December 12 at Booker, watched by owner Patrick Lindsay. It had already hopped briefly on November 18.
Farnborough’s S.E.5a, F904, is the only genuine, airworthy example of its type in the world. It is seen here before its Hispano-Suiza was replaced by a Viper.
Wg Cdr Bywater demonstrated S.E.5a F904 during the first of the Shuttleworth Collection’s displays for 1977, on April 10 and 11, its first public appearance since being re-engined with a direct drive Wolseley Viper engine.
Wg Cdr Bywater flying F904 from Old Warden in April 1977.
Listed among the surviving SE.5a scouts in the new book by J M Bruce is F904 owned and flown regularly by the Shuttleworth Collection.
After nearly five years grounded, owing to crankshaft failure in July 1972, S.E.5a F904 flew again at Farnborough on January 19, 1977, piloted by Wg Cdr David Bywater. A 200 h.p. Wolseley Viper now replaces the Hispano Suiza previously fitted.
A replica S.E.5A with tail wheel and other mod cons.
PROM THE AERIAL DERBY: Flight-Lieut. Longton crossing the line on one of the A.D.C. S.E.5a's.
AT THE R.A.F. PAGEANT: Flight-Lieut. Noakes, A.F.C., M.M., on "S.E.5b," during his remarkable series of exhibition flights, described by "Contact" as "an exhibition of circus-flying on an 'S.E.5B.' Loops, rolls, spinning nose-dives - all the contents of the aerial bag of tricks were displayed at a height of 1,000 ft., to the accompaniment of gasps from the packed enclosures.''
Flt Lt Noakes stunts the SE5B.
HOUSEHOLD BRIGADE FLYING CLUB "AT HOME": Mr. D. A. N. Watt on his D.W.1.
THE FIRST CROYDON AVIATION MEETING: Two S.E.5.'s come round on their first lap in the second race.
THE R.A.F. PAGEANT: Exhibition Flying on two S.E.5a's, looping, etc. (Note the left-hand machine is just commencing to loop and the right-hand 'plane is on its back at the top of a loop.)
An Aerial Combat at the R.A.F. Pageant: On the right the "Enemy" Bomber (a D.H.10 piloted by Squad.-Ldr. Roderic M. Hill, M.C., A.F.C.) arrives, and on left the two fighting S.E.5's attacking. Note the S.E.5 on the right hand turning on its back to meet the Bomber.
THE FOURTH R.A.F. "PAGEANT," 1923: Five S.E.5a's gave a wonderful display of simultaneous stunting, such as looping in V-formation, as shown above on the left, and zooming in close formation.
The trusty old Virginias' only (and probably last) Hendon Display item - parachute escapes by the "crews" of bombers attacked and set on fire by Gauntlets of No. 111 (F) Squadron; note the war-time S.E.5a on the ground.
The old and the new: Gloster Gauntlets over two equally famous fighters from another epoch - the Bristol Fighter and the S.E.5s.
SHERBURN AIR PAGEANT: (7) shows the line-up for the Wattle Handicap
GOOD FRIDAY AT BOURNEMOUTH: 5, The line-up for the Poole Handicap.
SOME OF THE LARGER MACHINES AT LYMPNE: From left to right, the Avro-Lynx, Bristol "Lucifer," Bristol "Bloodhound," S.E.5, Sopwith "Gnu," A.D.C.l, and a sky-writing S.E.5.
Bristol Fighters, Sopwith Snipes, a Camel, an S.E.5a, a Fokker D.VII and a Sopwith Scooter await the day's flying at the first Hendon Pageant, 1920.
Aircraft are prepared for flight testing at X Aircraft Park. They are, from left to right, a Bristol F.2B Fighter, an S.E.5a, a Nieuport 17 and a D.H.9. A Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.2e is also visible on the threshold of the Bessonneau tent hangar. The white circles in the foreground delineate a compass base for swinging the compasses of the aircraft.
During the 1920, the Air Service Tactical School at Langley Field mainly consisted of SE.5s and MB-3s.
Part of a batch of 26 Atlas Trainers delivered to the RAF between April and June 1930, photographed at Whitley Abbey. In the background at left may be seen the S.E.5a G-EBIB.
G-CYCE (ex F9117) in Canadian service as a dual-control two-seater at Camp Borden. It survived until April 3, 1926.
Two more S.E.5a’s at Camp Borden in 1920. G-CYBJ (D8472) and G-CYBP (F9016).
Fitters hard at work in the engine installation bays at X Aircraft Park. From right to left, the aircraft include an Airco D.H.9 (awaiting its engine), a Nieuport Scout, an S.E.5a, another D.H.9 and a Sopwith F.1 Camel. The Egyptian Expeditionary Force had been formed in March 1916 under the command of General Archibald Murray.
The fabric shop, with wing panels being covered (or re-covered) in the foreground. Visible in the background on the right are a D.H.9, an S.E.5a and a Nieuport. The second wing panel along is a port upper wing panel for either a B.E.2e or R.E.8; its inverted-vee bracing struts for the upper-wing extension are seen here being fitted.
S.E.5as under production in the Wolseley works.
S.E.5as under construction at Wolseley Motors show the state of airframe and engine complexity by 1918. The youngsters working on the aircraft are indicative of the dilution of labour.
Another view of G-EBIA during the skeletal existence with Armstrong Whitworth. Ensign I G-ADSW ‘Eddystone’ provides scale,
Mr. Kenneth Hunter's S.E.5a, which he renovated himself. The photograph reveals the small garage space in which the old single-seater fighter can be kept with the wings taken down. It won the first race of its career at the Hampshire Pageant, when Mr. Youell carried off the Morris Cup and ?100.
The Noakes Landing Skid acted directly on an extension of the control column. Also shown is the post-war steel-tube undercarriage with independently pivoted half-axles.
Several experimental installations of parachutes were tested on S.E.5a’s with a view to their operational use. The method of stowing the Guardian Angel Type A was somewhat clumsy, as it was a static-line parachute.
Several experimental installations of parachutes were tested on S.E.5a’s with a view to their operational use. The Mears parachute, which fitted into and under the rear top decking, was by far the neatest.
An S.E.5a of 40 Squadron with its full load of four 25lb Cooper bombs. The officer is distinguished fighter pilot Capt G. E. H. McElroy, MC, DFC.
An unknown pilot, probably Argentinian, stands beside the S.E.5a as it has its engine run up while in service with the Aviacion Naval, the Argentinian naval arm, in the late 1920s.
SOME PRIVATE OWNERS AT BOURNEMOUTH: 3, Flying Officer A. H. Wheeler, who raced his S.E.5A (G-EBQM) at the meeting.
Эдвард Мэннок в кабине S.E.5a
A close-up of Ball in A4850. The Vickers gun was absent at this stage, having been replaced by a downwards-firing Lewis gun.
7 мая 1917г.: капитан А. Болл перед своим последним вылетом во Францию. Он погиб на SE.5a, войдя в облако во время преследования немецкого самолета над Пенсом.
Capt Albert Ball, VC, DSO, MC, seated in S.E.5 A4850 on the morning of April 7, 1917.
J. T. B. McCudden in his S.E.5A. When killed in a flying accident, McCudden had 57 confirmed victories to his credit.
R. T. C. Hoidge in an S.E.5 at London Colney. The "wrap-around” transparency was quickly removed and replaced by a simple windscreen.
2nd Lt Rhys Davids, DSO, MC, at Bekesbourne in June 1917.
Lt Gerald J. C. Maxwell of 56 Squadron at Estree Blanche in B502, the second Vickers-built aircraft. Note the substantially shortened exhaust pipes and widened cockpit.