Handley Page H.P.18, H.P.26, H.P.27 и H.P.30 (Type W.8, Type W.9 и Type W.10)
У военного бомбардировщика O/400 имелись внутренние распорки фюзеляжа, что делало его непригодным для использования в качестве гражданского транспортного самолета. Специалисты компании "Handley Page" решили перепроектировать эту машину в вариант, первоначально
обозначенный как W/400 (H.P.16 в системе обозначений 1924 года). Новая машина имела фюзеляж другой конструкции, позволявший устанавливать до восьми пар кресел с центральным проходом, крылья бипланной коробки - от модели V/1500, но уменьшенного размаха, шасси - по типу самолета V/1500. В состав силовой установки включили два двигателя Rolls-Royce Eagle VIII. Первый полет состоялся 22 августа 1919 года, последующие летные испытания подтвердили достаточно высокую прочность выбранной конструкции. Однако было решено внести ряд усовершенствований и установить на серийных самолетах более мощные двигатели. Так появился прототип W.8 (H.P.18), оснащенный двумя W-образными двигателями Napier Lion IB мощностью по 450 л. с. и отличавшийся бипланной коробкой меньшего размаха (вместо 25,91 м стало 22,86 м), а также некоторыми изменениями в конструкции хвостового оперения. Свой первый полет самолет совершил 4 декабря 1919 года, а 4 мая 1920 года он поднялся на высоту 4276 м с полезной нагрузкой 1674 кг - в то время это было рекордом Великобритании.
После W.8 появились четыре серийных W.8b, в которых в полностью застекленной кабине размещались 16 пассажиров, а пилот и второй пилот находились в открытой кабине в носовой части. Ввиду трудностей с поставкой двигателей Lion на этих самолетах снова были установлены двигатели Eagle VIII, поэтому количество пассажиров пришлось сократить до 12. Три самолета использовались авиакомпанией "Handley Page Transport", один - поставлен бельгийской "Sabena", а уже впоследствии еще три транспортных W.8b были построены для "Sabena" компанией SABCA (Бельгия). Самолет W.8c являлся вариантом, выпущенным в 1923 году, с двигателями Eagle IX.
Самолет W.10 (H.P.30) - последний гражданский вариант, четыре экземпляра которого были построены компанией "Handley Page" для "Imperial Airways" в 1926 году, последний из них эксплуатировался до 1933 года, на самолетах устанавливались два двигателя Napier Lion IIB мощностью по 450 л.с.
Flight, December 1919
THE PARIS AERO SHOW 1919
PRELIMINARY REPORT ON BRITISH SECTION
The main feature on this stand will be one of the new Handley-Page biplanes, type W 8, one of which flew to Paris in 2 hours 10 mins. recently, after a brief test flight of only 20 mins. duration. The W 8 is much smaller than either the O 400 or the V 1500, having an overall length of 60 ft. and a span of 75 ft. It is thus quite a "baby"! Fitted with two Napier Lion engines of 450 h.p. each, the machine is capable of a maximum speed of 112 m.p.h. With the engines throttled down to 350 h.p. each the cruising speed is about 90 m.p.h., while the landing speed is as low as 45 m.p.h. The machine is thus capable of alighting in and starting from comparatively small fields.
The engines are mounted comparatively high up in the gap between the planes, and drive two tractor air screws. Effective silencers are fitted so that it is quite possible for the passengers to converse in an ordinary voice during flight. Sufficient fuel is carried for a flight of 6 1/2 hours' duration, or somewhat over 500 miles, and it is claimed that the machine is capable of flying on one engine entirely, should the other fail.
The passenger cabin is extremely roomy and comfortable, and provides seating accommodation for from 15 to 20 passengers. The seats are well upholstered in velvet, and have on the back pockets in which the passenger sitting behind can keep maps, books, papers, etc. Each passenger is provided with a porthole covered with Triplex glass, while at intervals windows are placed in the floor, giving the passengers a view straight down. The cabin is entered through doors in the sides, and there is also a trapdoor in the floor for the loading and unloading of freight when the machine is to be used for the carrying of goods. In that case the seats are removed and the cargo space available is no less than 470 cub. ft. The lifting capacity is then about two tons. As will be seen from the accompanying illustrations, the Handley-Page W 8 is of very pleasing appearance, and should soon become a favourite with travellers who appreciate speed and comfort.
Flight, January 1920
The Handley Page W 8
Particulars of the new Handley Page, W 8, have already been published in previous issues of Flight, and it may now be added that in the large machine class the machine was one of the most admired at the show. The French President appears to have shared this opinion, for the W 8 was the first large machine into which he entered. From an engineering point of view certainly the Handley Page can more than hold its own against any of the other large machines exhibited. The cabin has been extremely well arranged, the fuselage structure having been so designed as to avoid the transverse bracing which somewhat marred the comfort of the converted machines. There are 15 seats inside the cabin, the odd number being due to the door in the port side, which occupies the space of one seat. Should any passenger feel the need for a few minutes’ seclusion during the journey, there is a small compartment for this purpose immediately aft of the main cabin and connected with it by a door. The pilot and a mechanic are seated in an open cockpit in front, and between this and the main cabin is a luggage compartment, for, of course, passengers on a modern Handley Page are not expected to restrict their luggage to a tooth-brush.
The main planes are of approximately rectangular plan form, with the corners rounded off. In addition to the engine struts, there are two pairs of apruce struts on each side. The bracing is by streamline wire. Ailerons are fitted to top and bottom planes, the method of balancing them being indicated in one of the accompanying sketches. An interesting feature of the H.P. W 8 is its undercarriages, which are now of a very simple form, as shown in the sketch. There are two simple Vees of steel tube, one Vee being anchored at the top to the fuselage, the other to the bottom plane where occurs the engine mounting. There are two wheels to each undercarriage, each being placed on the outside of its Vee. Transverse bracing is by a diagonal tube, the system including universal joints to allow of unequal travel of the two wheels. The whole structure looks very simple for such a large machine, and would appear to have a very low resistance. The shock-absorbers are contained in the casings on the front vertical struts.
Mounted comparatively high in the wing gap are the two Napier Lion engines, which are enclosed in streamline engine nacelles with nose radiators. The fuel tanks, which hold sufficient for a flight of 6 1/2 hours' duration, are placed behind the engines, and there is thus no petrol in the main fuselage.
It might be mentioned that the Handley Page made the journey from London to Paris in an actual flying time of 1 hour 50 mins., which fact naturally impressed visitors considerably. The maximum speed of the machine is about 112 m.p.h., with a normal cruising speed of about 90 m.p.h. It is said that the machine is able to fly on one engine only (when that engine is developing its full power, of course), when the speed is 75 m.p.h.
Flight, July 1920
The Olympia Aero Show 1920
Handley Page, Ltd. (STAND 49) Cricklewood, London, N.W. 2.
THE Handley Page Co. are exhibiting the "W.8" - the same type of machine as shown at the Paris Salon last year, and which recently put up a British record for height, duration and weight carrying.
The machine is a medium size twin-engined biplane, specially designed for commercial use, having an exceptionally large carrying capacity and reserve of power. The particular machine shown has two Napier-Lion engines, but these may be replaced by either the Liberty engine or Rolls-Royce "Eagle" VIII. The fuselage provides one large saloon or cargo space, which is entirely free from wires, tubes or internal structure of any description. The planes are arranged to fold, thus allowing the storage of the machine in a very small space, and owing to the special design of the wings, the overall height of the machine is kept smaller than usual. The weight of the machine fully loaded is 12,000 lbs. - which includes fuel for 6 1/2 hours' flying and a useful load, in addition to the crew, of 3,200 lbs.
The planes follow the same general arrangement as previously employed on the large four-engine machines. The spans of the top and bottom planes are equal and a dihedral angle is given to the bottom plane only. The ailerons are constructed on the firm's patented system of balance which was first fitted to the large four-engine machine, with the result that this large machine can easily be controlled by one pilot without the use of servo motors or other contrivance. The overall span of the planes is 75 ft., and there is no stagger. It is proposed in a short time to fit the new plane system which has been evolved by this firm. Experiments along these lines are proceeding.
The fuselage is devoted entirely to carrying the crew, passengers and/or cargo. The pilot and engineer are seated on the extreme nose of the machine in a comfortable cockpit, in which all engine controls, instruments and other apparatus necessary for the working of the machine are arranged within easy reach of the pilot or engineer, as required. The dashboard carries a full set of instruments, and provision is made for Marconi wireless gear to be fitted if required. Both pilot's and engineer's seats are comfortably upholstered, and the rudder bar is adjustable both as to height and distance from the pilot. A partition immediately to the rear of the pilot divides the forward cockpit from the main fuselage saloon or cargo space. This saloon occupies three complete bays of the fuselage and measures 4 ft. 6 ins. wide by 6 ft. high by 22 ft. long. The whole of this space is provided with flooring which is of a new type, considerably lighter and stronger than previously used. Adjustable Triplex Safety Glass windows are fitted in the sides of the fuselage, and seating accommodation provided for 15 passengers, each of the passengers having a window immediately next to him. As previously mentioned, no struts or internal structure of any description occur throughout this saloon. A large side door is provided for access to the saloon, and steps are provided which can be adjusted to position from inside the saloon if necessary. For cargo purposes, trap doors can be arranged in the cargo space, as required. The fuselage is constructed in three sections. The front section comprises the pilot's cockpit, with all the instruments and controls. The second section contains the passenger saloon or cargo space, and the third and last section extends from the rear end of the saloon to the rudder post, either of these sections being easily changeable.
The engine nacelle framework is of steel tube, and is so arranged that the engine stands outside the wing hinges. The petrol tanks are carried on the same framework but behind the engines, and a fireproof partition is arranged between the tank and the engine. No bracing wires or struts pass through the petrol tank, and both the engine and tank are very readily removable when required. The oil tank is immediately behind the engine, and the radiator is of the nose type carried in front of the engine. The whole of the engine unit, tanks, etc., are covered with a stream-lime aluminium cowling circular in cross section.
The undercarriage is similar in design to that used so successfully on the large four-engine Handley Page machines, and consists of two entirely separate units, each unit having two wheels, one below the engine and the other near the fuselage, and all members are universally jointed so as to allow for any movement of either shock absorber. No portion of the undercarriage projects below the fuselage, and thus any arrangement for dropping mails, etc., from the fuselage will not be interfered with. The tail skid is of the usual type, with the exception that it is kept almost entirely within the fuselage, thus considerably reducing head resistance. A monoplane tail is fitted of ample size, and carries the usual elevators. The vertical surfaces consist of a monoplane fin and balance rudder arranged on the centre line of the fuselage. The elevators are unbalanced, but are carefully proportioned so as to reduce the load on the pilot's hand, and, in addition, hand-adjusting gear is provided for the tail plane itself, whereby the pilot can alter the trim of the machine at any time during the flight.
Flight, January 1922
THE HANDLEY PAGE W.8B.
Two Rolls-Royce "Eagle" Engines.
AFTER winning the Air Ministry Competition at Martlesham in 1920, the Handley Page W.8 remained, for various reasons, idle until fairly late in 1920, at any rate as far as actual commercial flying was concerned. When it was, finally, put on the London-Paris route it soon demonstrated that it was capable of making excellent time and of maintaining a good schedule, due to the ample margin of power which the two Napier "Lions" provided. Anyone who has seen the W.8 take off at Croydon must have realised that the reserve power was more than ample, the machine literally bouncing into the air after an exceedingly short run, and climbing at an angle which was more reminiscent of a scout than of the usual commercial passenger carrier. While, however, a good margin of power is the best possible manner of securing regularity and safety, a point is ultimately reached where economical reasons dictate a stop. For instance, although normally running the engines throttled down to about three-fourths or two-thirds of their maximum power results in increased life and reliability, the efficiency of the engines is not so good, owing to the smaller compression, if throttling is carried much farther. The petrol consumption is greater per horse-power developed, although smaller per engine, and consequently too great an excess of power results in a certain amount of waste.
In the case of the Handley Page W.8, practical experience has shown that not only is the excess of power provided by the Napier "Lions" too great, but that the speed of the machine so fitted is greater than is necessary for the work on the London-Paris line. It has, therefore, been decided to replace the present engines by Rolls-Royce "Eagles" of about 360 h.p. each, which will still give a sufficient margin of power and the requisite speed, while giving greater economy in running. Several of the new machines, which will be known as the Handley Page W.8 B, are to be put on the service in the spring, and will serve as a happy mean between the admittedly too-slow O-400's and the too-fast W.8.
In order to obtain actual flying data of performance before installing the Rolls-Royce engines, an interesting experiment was tried. The Napier engines were fitted with Rolls-Royce propellers and the "Lions" throttled down to the power of the "Eagles." In this way actual conditions were fairly represented, and the tests thus carried out gave a very good indication of the performance which may be expected from the machine in its new form. The machine was loaded up with its proper quantity of petrol, and carried, in addition to pilot and mechanic, 16 passengers. The machine weighed, with fuel and water, 9,672 lbs., and the 20 passengers brought the weight up to 12,000 lbs. On a basis of 360 h.p. per engine this gave a power loading of 16-7 lbs./h.p. With this loading, the following performance was obtained :-
Time (mins.) Height (ft.) R.P.M. (average) I.A.S. (m.p.h.).
1 425 1,510 73
2 1,000 1,525 75
3 1,550 1,530 75
4 1,900 1,550 75
5 2,300 1,560 79
6 2,850 1,550 75
The full speed was 103 m.p.h. at 1,675 r.p.m. and the cruising speed 90 m.p.h. at 1,500 r.p.m.
The accompanying general arrangement drawings, which have never hitherto been published, show the machine as it will appear when fitted with Rolls-Royce engines. Several modifications will at once be noticed. Thus an interesting innovation, as far as H.P. machines are concerned, is found in the placing of the petrol tanks. Instead of having the tanks in the engine nacelles, behind the engines, they are placed, in the W.8B, on top of the upper plane. One result of this arrangement is a greatly simplified petrol system. Instead of gravity tanks, petrol pumps, etc., with their extensive piping and joint there is a single pipe leading direct to the engine, with gravity feed from each main tank. Each tank has a capacity of 100 gallons, and great attention is being paid to such few joints as still remain in the petrol pipes. These joints, we understand, are to be metal couplings of the Air Ministry type, and no rubber joints will be employed. Each tank is provided with a petrol level indicator of the "Clift" pattern. Each of the engines is provided with an oil tank of 6 1/2 gallons capacity, to which a thermometer is fitted.
Generally speaking, the mounting of the engines will not be-greatly altered, except for such variations in dimensions as are necessitated by the difference in size of the two types of engine. Also, of course, with the transfer of the petrol tanks to the top plane, the long streamline fairing containing the present tanks will disappear, and we understand that it is not intended to streamline the Rolls engines, experience with the type O-400 machines having shown that the gain in speed resulting from such streamlining is so small as to be scarcely worth while, especially when taking into consideration that the engines are very much more accessible when left uncovered. The engines will be fitted with long exhaust pipes of the R.A.E. pattern.
Apart from the alterations indicated above, the machines will remain almost identical with the present W.8. The large cabin will have accommodation for 12 passengers, and light racks will be provided for light luggage. For heavier luggage there will be two special compartments, one between the pilot's cockpit and the cabin, of 80 cu. ft. capacity, and one aft of the cabin, of 70 cu. ft. capacity. A tip-up seat is placed at the side of that of the pilot so that, if desired, a mechanic can be carried here.
Needless to say, the machines will be constructed in accordance with all the usual requirements of the Air Ministry, and including a good degree of positive stability in all directions. A trimming tail is fitted so that the pilot may adjust the machine for any given conditions of load and speed in order that the machine may fly horizontally with little attention from the pilot except for corrections of course.
As regards equipment, the machine will be provided with the following instruments: Wireless telegraphy apparatus, 2 air-speed indicators, 2 altimeters, clinometers, 2 revs, indicators, 2 radiator thermometers, 2 oil pressure gauges, 2 petrol level indicators, 2 oil thermometers, and 2 Pyrene fire extinguishers (one in cabin).
The weight of the machine, and the loads carried are as follows :- Weight empty (with water): 7,700 lbs. Pilot, 160 lbs. Petrol for 3 1/4 hours (this is not the full capacity of the tanks), 1,000 lbs., 10 gallons of oil 100 lbs. 12 passengers (at 180 lbs.), 2,160 lbs. Cargo, 880 lbs. Total loaded weight, 12,000 lbs.
The performance with full load will be approximately as follows :- Maximum speed near ground, 104 m.p.h.; maximum speed at 5,000 ft., 101 m.p.h.; ground rate of climb, 550 ft. per minute; service ceiling, 10,000 ft.; landing speed, 54 m.p.h.
Several of the W.8 B type of machines are now being built, and will be put on the London-Paris service in the spring.
Flight, November 1922
THE HANDLEY PAGE W 8C
Two Rolls-Royce "Eagle" Engines
EXPERIENCE having shown, and the new arrangement of the services (whereby Handley Page Transport, Ltd., operate the London-Paris route only) accentuating the fact, that it pays to carry passengers in preference to goods, Handley Page Ltd., of Cricklewood, have decided to build for next year's services a modified type of twin-engined machine which will have passenger accommodation for 16 passengers instead of the 12 passengers for which the present W 8B's were designed. The new machines will differ but slightly in outward appearance, and not at all aerodynamically, from the older type, which has proved so successful during the past year.
The W 8C, as the new model will be called, will have approximately the same total loaded weight as the W 8B, but the cabin is to be lengthened to give room for four more seats, while the freight carried aft of the cabin will be reduced by an amount equivalent to that of the four extra passengers. The extra length is to be obtained by doing away with the wireless compartment which, in the W 8B, separates the cabin from the pilot's cockpit.
The total loaded weight of 12,500 lbs. of the W 8C will be composed as follows :- Weight of machine light (but with cooling water), 7,200 lbs.; pilot, 160 lbs.; petrol for 3 1/4 hours (137 gallons), 1,000 lbs.; oil (10 gallons), 100 lbs.; 16 passengers (at 180 lbs.), 2,880 lbs.; freight, 1,160 lbs.
The performance will, of course, depend somewhat upon the load carried; but it is of interest to compare the performance with full load with that attained when passengers only, and no freight, are carried. These figures, it should be noted, are certified and not estimated figures :-
Loaded weight 12,500 lbs. 11,500 lbs.
Max. speed at 1,000 ft. 96 m.p.h. 101 m.p.h.
Ground rate of climb 370 ft./min. 425 ft./min.
Service ceiling 7,500 ft. 8,700 ft.
Landing speed 44 m.p.h. 42 m.p.h.
Run to "get off" 320 yards 300 yards
Run to "pull up" 240 yards 240 yards
The cruising speed will naturally vary somewhat according to the load carried, but it is expected that an average of about 85 m.p.h. will be maintained. Taking the power of the Rolls-Royce "Eagle" engines as 360 h.p. each, the power expenditure per passenger carried (with full load, of course) is 45 h.p., which is a very reasonable figure, considering that the speed (at full power) is round about 100 m.p.h. At cruising speed the economy is naturally even better. Looked at in another way, the useful load carried is 4,040 lbs., or 5-6 lbs./h.p. at maximum power; somewhat greater at power corresponding to cruising speed. From the point of view of performance, it cannot be denied that there are in existence single-engined machines which, with the same power expenditure per passenger, have a considerably greater speed; but the makers and users of the Handley Page aeroplanes maintain that the speed is sufficient, while the splitting-up of the power plant into two units results in greater security, as simultaneous failure of both engines is a most unlikely happening.
In this connection it is of interest to remark that tests at Martlesham Heath have shown that, with a weight of 12,500 lbs., the machine can be flown straight, although losing height slightly, whereas with slightly less than full load, i.e., when the total weight is about 11,500 lbs., the machine will actually remain aloft with only one engine running. As it is probably not on a great percentage of trips that machines are loaded up to the maximum of their capacity, it is claimed that the twin-engined machine affords every chance of reaching a safe emergency landing ground in case of engine failure, and certainly the record of Handley Page Transport on the London-Paris route would appear to bear out this contention. Another feature of the W 8B's, which will be retained in the W 8C, is the low landing speed. The actual figure is round about 40 or 42 m.p.h., but it appears to be less, probably owing to the size of the machine. In watching the Handley Page machines "float" into Croydon aerodrome, one never has the anxious feeling with which one often watches small, fast machines, and if experience has proved that the lower top speed is sufficient, there does not appear to be any very good cause for retaining high landing speeds. The subject is, however, a controversial one, and one upon which we do not propose to enter here.
As already mentioned, the main alteration will be to the saloon, the length of which is to be increased to 23 ft., so as to afford accommodation for 16 seats, placed along the sides of the cabin, with a passage down the centre. In the W 8B there was a wireless compartment between the saloon and the pilot's cockpit. In the latest model this will be omitted, and the cabin will extend forward right up to the bulkhead behind the pilot. One result of this arrangement will be that the passengers - those in the front seats, at any rate - will obtain a very excellent view, and as a matter of fact, all passengers in a Handley Page have a fairly good view, owing to the placing of the Rolls-Royce engines well up in the gap between the wings and forward of the leading edge.
The cabin arrangement, apart from the extra seats, will follow closely that of the older machines. Entrance is by a door on the port side, this door being securely fastened before the machine leaves the ground. On the forward wall of the cabin will be mounted such instruments as clock, altimeter and airspeed indicator. A map of the route will also be placed on the wall, so that passengers will be able to follow the progress of the machine, a fact which adds considerably to the interest of the journey. A door will communicate with the pilot's cockpit, should it become necessary for any reason to do so. At the aft end of the saloon will be a lavatory, similarly arranged to that of the W 8B's, in which, during the journey, a transverse door separates it from the saloon. On landing this door closes back and shuts off entirely the lavatory, while giving access to the exit. This arrangement is particularly neat, and saves a considerable amount of space.
Large Triplex windows will be provided in both sides of the saloon, some of which will be made to open, thus forming emergency exits. Further exits will be provided in the form of ripping panels, so that in case of emergency the passengers should be able to leave the cabin in a minimum of time.
Behind the saloon will be a large freight compartment, measuring 10 ft. in length by 3 ft. 6 ins. in width, and having an average height of 5 ft. 2 ins. The cubic capacity of this compartment will be 178 cu. ft. The door in the port side leading to this compartment will be of large dimensions, and will open in the centre so as to leave an unobstructed opening through which bulky goods may be passed. In order to trim the machine according to load, the man who looks after the loading will know how great is the weight of the contents of the freight compartment, and if heavy freight is carried and the saloon is not full, the aft seats will be locked by a strap running across from one arm rest to the other, thus preventing the passengers from using these seats and thus make the machine tail-heavy. (A wag has suggested that a more positive method would be to lock the passengers in their seats by aforesaid straps, but some might object to this procedure!)
The pilot, placed as he is in the nose of the fuselage, will have a particularly good view in all directions. An extra seat will be provided next to the pilot, for use by an engineer or navigator, should it be desired to carry one for special purposes. A complete wireless outfit will be carried, and it is possible that a "listening-in" set will be fitted in the saloon for the benefit of the passengers.
The power plant will consist of two Rolls-Royce "Eagle" engines, mounted on a structure of steel tubes some distance above and in front of the lower plane. The engines will not be cowled-in, with the. result that smaller radiators can be fitted, while access to the engines, or even their removal and replacement, will be greatly facilitated.
As in the W 8B, the main petrol tanks will be gravity tanks, thus avoiding all pumps, piping, etc. In the new machines, however, the tanks will be slung underneath the top plane, and not mounted on top of it. Each tank will have a capacity of 100 gallons, and the petrol will flow to the engines through metal tubes, incorporating metal couplings of the R.A.F. pattern so as to avoid the use of rubber in the petrol system.
It has been stated that aerodynamically the W 8C will not differ at all from the W 8B. This is not strictly accurate, as slotted ailerons will be fitted. The section of these is shown in the accompanying diagram. As the aileron trailing edge moves down, the slot is opened, while on the opposite side the aileron moving up closes its slot. Normally the slots are very slightly open, but as they are the same on both sides, this will not affect the flying of the machine. It should be pointed out that this form of aileron has been found to give excellent results. Not only are slotted ailerons very effective, so that a very small movement suffices, but they have been found to retain their effectiveness right up to the stalling angle of the wings, while the forward projection serves as a balance, and the load on the control column is quite small in proportion to the rolling couple produced by the ailerons.
Although Rolls-Royce engines will be fitted as standard, Napier "Lion" engines of 450 h.p. each may be fitted with this type of machine, with a resulting improvement in performance. The weight will then remain practically the same as before, but the performance will be: Maximum speed near ground, 120 m.p.h.; ground rate of climb, 750 ft./min.; service ceiling, 12,000 ft.; landing speed, 44 m.p.h.
Прототип W/8 "Ньюкасл", позднее получивший имя "Герцогиня Йорка" (рег. G-EAPJ), стал родоначальником серии удачных коммерческих авиалайнеров 20-х гг. прошлого века. Он воплотил в себе ряд конструктивных элементов O/400 и V/1500. Находясь в эксплуатации HPT, этот самолет разбился 10 июля 1923г. при выполнении аварийной посадки в Пуаси, недалеко от Парижа. Самолет сфотографирован с первоначальным вариантом хвостового оперения.
FINE RECORD: Handley Page (H.P.18) W.8 (Reg: G-EAPJ) powered by two 450-h .p. Napier Lions, which recently established a British record by lifting a useful load of 3,690 lbs. to an altitude of (official) 13,999 ft. We have no official information as to whether it was the barograph or the e.g. of the machine, or the e.g. of the useful load which reached this altitude. The duration of the flight was 1 hour 20 minutes
Handley Page's first purpose-built civil transport, W.8 G-EAPJ first flew at Cricklewood on 2nd December 1919. Only one example was built
THE NEW HANDLEY PAGE W.8 BIPLANE: For some considerable time there have been rumours of a new type of H.P. which was going to surpass anything hitherto seen in the way of luxury and comfort. The machine is now an accomplished fact, as will be seen from our photograph, and for once rumour has not been far from the truth. The new H.P., which is fitted with two 450 h.p. Napier Lions, is smaller and faster than the War types, and has a magnificent saloon cabin seating from 15 to 20 passengers. A feature of this is that there is no transverse cross bracing, so that the passengers have ample room to move about, while, if the machine be used for the carrying of cargo, the space available is 470 cub. ft. The machine has a maximum speed of 112 m.p.h., and a cruising speed of 90 m.p.h., while the landing speed is as low as 45 m.p.h. After a short test flight of only 20 minutes' duration, the machine was flown to Paris in 2 hours 10 minutes.
THE HANDLEY PAGE W8. - Our photograph shows this machine, which has two Napier "Lion" engines, starting off for its first flight to Paris, which was made in two hours five minutes.
A study in contrasts: The little 10 h.p. de Marcay “Passe-Partout" standing under the wings of the Handley Page W 8 at Le Bourget Aerodrome
A RECORD BREAKER AT OLYMPIA: The Handley Page W 8 which reached an altitude of 14,000 ft. with a load of 3,690 lbs.
The Handley Page, seen from above: In the large machine class, this was probably the finest all-round cabin ’bus in the exhibition
THE NAPIER LION: View from above, showing installation in a Handley Page W 8
AT WADDON: The Handley Page W8, winner of First Prize in Air Ministry Competition.
Handley Page W.8 G-EAPJ was a rebuild of an H.P.W.4. It was operated by Handley Page Transport Ltd on the London-Paris run and was named Newcastle, but later became Duchess of York. 'PJ crash-landed at Poix in Northern France on July 10, 1923.
AT WADDON: The machine arriving at Waddon
AIR CONFERENCE VISIT TO WADDON: A Handley Page W.8.B, with Rolls-Royce "Eagle" engines, takes up visitors.
Stages in the evolution of commercial aircraft. The W.8B;
THE HANDLEY PAGE W.8B: Three-quarter front view.
THE HANDLEY PAGE W.8B: Front view.
By far the largest aircraft to attend the rally in August 1930 was SABCA-built Handley Page W.8 OO-AHJ of Sabena. Seen here beside it at the airfield are, from left to right; M I. Renard, Director of Sabena; Mme J. Coomans; Col and Mme J. Smeyers; Mme Cocquyt; M Calembert; Capt Prosper Cocquyt (Sabena’s chief pilot) and M Regout.
View of the mounting of one of the Rolls-Royce "Eagle" engines in the Handley Page W.8B.
THE HANDLEY PAGE W.8B: This machine was a 14-passenger, twin-engined (Rolls-Royce "Eagle") biplane, originally in service with Handley Page Transport, in 1922.
Typical machines at Waddon, alias Croydon, in 1922. Two Handley Page Transport W.8Bs - a picture taken when this type, a development of the O/400 bomber and the W.8., first went into service
THE HANDLEY PAGE W.8B: Three-quarter rear view.
A W.8 airliner of Handley Page Air Transport at Croydon (31 March 1921).
"LAUNCHING" TWO HANDLEY PAGE W.8B BIPLANES: On May 16 two of the new W.8B's to be put on Vhe London-Paris air service were christened by Major-General Sir Sefton Brancker, the new Director of Civil Aviation. The names of the two machines are "Princess Mary" and "Prince George." Our Photographs show - 1 The two machines before the christening. 2. Mr. Handley Page and, in the doorway of the machine, the D. of C.A. 3. Sir Sefton Brancker breaks a bottle of champagne on the first machine and (4) tears off the strip which covers the name. In 5 Lieut.-Col. Barrett-Lennard is seen explaining some of the details to Sir Sefton Brancker.
This Handley Page W.8b of Handley Page Transport Ltd is pictured on June 13, 1922 on the day it was used to fly a group of women on a rose-selling expedition to Paris. Gordon Olley can be seen suitably attired.
Ранее принадлежавший HPT W/8b "Принц Георг" передается новому хозяину, "Империал Эйруэйз".
28 апреля 1924г.: на линии Лондон-Париж начала работать компания "Imperial Airways". Она объединила "Handley Page Aerial Transport", "Daimler Airways", "Instone Airlines" и "British Marine Air Navigation", став одним из предшественников нынешней "British Airways".
Handley Page W.8b G-EBBI Prince Henry, chartered by Capt Edward Fielden and used for joyriding.
H.P.W8b, G-EBBI, of HPT and named Prince Henry. It carried fifteen passengers and operated on the London-Belgium service.
Крылья Heyford выполнялись из металла, с полотняной обшивкой, а металлический фюзеляж был покрыт обшивкой из легкого сплава и полотна. Экипаж - четыре человека, шасси - неубирающееся с хвостовым колесом.
HOME FROM THE CAPE: These three photographs tell the story of the home-coming of Cobham, Elliott and Emmott on Saturday of last week from their flight to Cape Town and back in a D.H.50 fitted with Armstrong-Siddeley "Jaguar" radial air-cooled engine. The photograph shows the D.H.50 arriving over Croydon aerodrome, followed by some of its escorting machines.
THE HANDLEY PAGE W.10: This was a 1926, an improved model of the original W.8B. The engines, however, were Napier "Lions."
Handley Page W.10, G-EBMM of Imperial Airways.
Originally owned and operated by Imperial Airways and named City of Melbourne, Handley Page W.10 G-EBMM was sold to National Aviation Day Displays Ltd (NADD) in November 1933 and, based at Ford, was renamed Youth of New Zealand. The W.10 is pictured at Woodford on June 10,1933. Later that year the aircraft was converted to a tanker for flight-refuelling experiments with an Airspeed Courier for an attempted non-stop flight to India on September 24, 1934. Its job done, the tanks were removed and 'MM was flown to continue pleasure-tripping with NADD. During the flight the aircraft suffered structural failure and it was destroyed in the subsequent crash near Aston Clinton.
The new Croydon terminal in 1928. Posed in front are a W.10, Argosy and W.8b of I.A.L.
The fuel supply is of paramount importance on a tour like this, and throughout this National Benzole lorry will accompany the outfit to each aerodrome.
GET YOUR MAGNIFYING GLASSES OUT: The D.H. "Tiger-Moth" (D.H. engine) takes shelter under the Imperial Airways Handley Page air liner, "City of Melbourne," which spent a busy time at Hucknall taking up passengers.
NEW WINE IN OLD BOTTLES: A Handley Page biplane which has been fitted with Rolls-Royce "F" engines.
THE HANDLEY PAGE W.10 IN FLIGHT: These four views, taken at Cricklewood recently, show the new H.P. machine in various attitudes during a test flight. The pilot on this occasion was Capt. Hubert Broad.
AS.5 «Курьер» дозаправляется от W.10 над Портсмутом, Великобритания. На фотографии запечатлен момент тренировки перед перелётом в Индию.
Airspeed Courier G-ABXR takes on fuel from Handley Page W.10 tanker G-EBMR in 1934, watched by D.H.60 Moth G-AADB.
PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT: Sir Alan Cobham carries out a refuelling test at Portsmouth in preparation for his forthcoming non-stop flight to India with Sqd. Ldr. Helmore in the Airspeed "Courier." The "tanker" seen above is Sir Alan's Handley Page W.10 (ex City of Pretoria of Imperial Airways).
Ex-Imperial Airways Handley Page W.10 G-EBMR flew with Cobham s National Aviation Day Displays during 1933-34. It is seen here near Maidenhead in company with Southern Martlet G-ABBN, circa 1933.
On the move. Cobham's National Aviation Day display team in close formation, led by the Handley Page W.10 G-EBMR, probably in 1933. Nearest the camera is Avro 504N G-ABVH, powered by a Mongoose IIIA. The author knew this aeroplane inside out during the time it was based at Penshurst with F. J. V. Holmes and later Air Travel Ltd.
This classic National Aviation Day display formation was probably taken in 1933, the year that Cobham purchased Handley Page W.10 G-EBMR, seen here leading Tiger Moth G-ABUL, Southern Martlet G-ABBN, D.H.60G Gipsy Moth G-ABJC and an anonymous Avro 504K. Cobham's two Handley Page W.10s were joined by Handley Page Clive G-ABYX Astra in April 1933. In two years YX carried 120,000 passengers; it was scrapped in 1935.
Capt G. P. Olley waits to fly the chartered W.10 G-EBMR to Prague, January 22, 1932.
Handley Page W10 G-EBMR served with Imperial as City of Pretoria.
NEW AIR LINERS FOR I.A.L.: One of the Handley Page W.10's making a flight at Croydon, among the passengers carried being Sir Samuel Hoare, Secretary of State for Air, Lady Maud Hoare, and Mr. P. C. Larkin, High Commissioner for Canada.
H.P. W10 G-EBMT, City of Ottawa.
Imperial’s Handley Page fleet lined up at Croydon during a christening ceremony on March 30, 1926.
NEW MACHINES FOR IMPERIAL AIRWAYS: Last week a batch of Handley Page machines of the W.10 type, each fitted with two Napier "Lion" engines, were delivered to Imperial Airways at Croydon, the event being the occasion of a visit to the aerodrome by a number of prominent people. Our photograph shows the machines lined up for inspection.
CHRISTENING NEW MACHINES FOR IMPERIAL AIRWAYS: The upper photograph shows the crowd inspecting one of the Handley Page W.10's. In the inset Lady Maud Hoare is seen performing the christening ceremony by "unveiling" the name plate of one of the machines, and the lower photograph shows the giving of a hearty cheer for Lady Maud Hoare, the group including Lieut.-Col. Barrett-Lennard, Sir S. Instone Mr. Hubert Scott Paine, Air Vice-Marshal Sir Vyell Vyvyan, Sir S. Hoare, Mr. Larkin, Lady Maud Hoare, and Sir Eric Geddes.
PROMINENT PERSONALITIES AT CROYDON: The photograph shows Mr. Larkin, High Commissioner for Canada, Sir S. Hoare and Lady Maud Hoare emplaning in a Handley Page W.10.
CROYDON DURING THE STRIKE: The general strike resulted in a vast increase in the air traffic between Croydon and the Continent and a great number of extra machines were called into service. Shown a quantity of luggage being loaded for Paris.
CROYDON DURING THE STRIKE: The general strike resulted in a vast increase in the air traffic between Croydon and the Continent and a great number of extra machines were called into service. Shown passengers emplaning in a W.10
The circus comes to yet another town. In this formation, led by H.P. W.10 G-ABMR, are two Gipsy Moths, Comper Swift, Desoutter, Tiger Moth, Airspeed Ferry and a Southern Martlet.
CROYDON DURING THE STRIKE: The general strike resulted in a vast increase in the air traffic between Croydon and the Continent and a great number of extra machines were called into service. Shown a line-up of machines, among which may be recognised two Farman "Goliaths," a Spad, and two Handley-Page W.10's.
An Aerial view of Baldonnel Aerodrome. The H.P. W.10 in the foreground was doing joy-riding throughout the meeting piloted by Capt. E. B. Fielden.
A typical view of Croydon in the 1930s, with the famous terminal building dominating the scene. On the apron, left to right, are a Fokker F.III, Rohrbach Roland, Liore et Olivier 21, Handley Page W8b and Handley Page W10.
THE PARIS AERO SHOW: may be seen the Handley Page, the Liore et Olivier and the Caproni
The Handley Page W.8.B: All engine controls, etc., are carried along the starboard side of the fuselage, and are enclosed in a casing having detachable covers at intervals.
ALEXANDRA DAY IN THE AIR: The operations of the rose-sellers are gradually extending. In our photographs are seen the bevy of beauties who went over to Paris on Wednesday, June 13, in the special Rolls-Royce Handley Page aeroplane.
THE HANDLEY PAGE W 8: View inside the cabin
The Handley Page W.8C brought new standards of comfort to airlines in 1922. This photograph was taken inside the saloon of one of the W 8B machines, but the saloon of the new type will look exactly similar, except that there will be 16 seats instead of 12.
THE HANDLEY PAGE W.10: View inside the saloon, looking forward. There is seating accommodation for 14 passengers.
The interior of the Handley Page W.8 as fitted up for ballast tanks when up for record
H.P. W.8B G-EBBI and Avro 504K G-EBYW caught by the tide at Rhyl.
Катастрофа W/10 "Сити оф Оттава" (рег. G-EBMT) авиакомпании "Империал Эйруэйз", произошедшая 17 июня 1929г. Обломки W/10 вылавливает из вод Ла-Манша бельгийский траулер "Гэйби". На снимке виден характерный трапециевидный киль W/10, отличавший его от более ранних машин типа W/8.
"THE PARIS Mail”: A D.H.16 and a Handley Page passing each other over the English coast
A 14-seater triple-engined S.A.B.E.N.A. Handley Page.
Interiors of Commercial Machines: The Handley Page W.8.
View inside cabin of Handley Page W.8B.
The Handley Page W 8C: Section and plan of Saloon.
THE HANDLEY PAGE W 8: Sketch of one of the undercarriages, and details of the universal joints
ON THE HANDLEY PAGE W 8: Method of balancing ailerons
The Handley Page W 8C: Diagram of slotted and balanced aileron
Diagram of the engine mounting of the Handley Page W 8
The Handley Page W.8B: All engine controls are carried on the starboard side of the fuselage, and are enclosed in a casing, as shown. Inset shows, diagrammatically, one of the under-carriages.
SOME DETAILS OF THE HANDLEY PAGE W.8B: 1, Mounting of petrol tanks on top plane. 2, Sketch showing one of the petrol tanks. 3, The metal shoe on the tail skid. 4, Diagrammatic view of port engine mounting. 5, Details of mounting of balanced ailerons.
The Handley Page W 8, two 450 h.p. Napier Lions
Handley-Page W8.B 2 Rolls-Royce "Eagle" Engines
Handley-Page W8.C 2-360 Rolls-Royce Eagle Engines