Корректировщик и самолет связи. Одномоторный подкосный моноплан с верхним расположением крыла. Шасси неубирающееся. Являлся усовершенствованным и "англизированным" вариантом легкого самолета Е-2, спроектированного под руководством Г. Тэйлора в "Тэйлор эйркрафт
корпорейшн" (США). Переделка конструкции осуществлялась группой инженеров фирмы "Тэйлоркрафт эйроплейнз ингланд", являвшейся флагманом вновь созданной Тэйлором компании "Тэйлоркрафт эйроплейнз". Модернизированный гражданский вариант ("модель D") появился в 1939 г., специализированный военный АОР ("air observation post" - "воздушный наблюдательный пункт") - в мае 1942 г.
Серийный выпуск осуществлялся заводом "Тэйлоркрафт" в Тармастоне с 1939 г., серии АОР -с августа 1942 г. Всего изготовлено около 1900 машин военного назначения.
Экипаж самолета - 2-3 чел. Вооружения нет. Двигатель - в зависимости от модификации.
Самолет находился на вооружении Королевских ВВС с сентября 1939 г. (первоначально только как связной).
Основные серийные модификации военного времени:
- "Остер" I (модель D/1) с мотором Циррус "Минор", двухместный;
- "Остер" II (модель F) с мотором "Джипси Мейджор" I, двухместный;
- "Остер" IV (модель G) с мотором O-290-3, трехместный, укороченный фюзеляж, измененное остекление кабины;
- "Остер" V (модель J), вариант модификации IV с усовершенствованным оборудованием.
Закупленные у фирмы гражданские самолеты "модели D" ("Остер" D) летали как связные на территории Великобритании с конца 1939 г. В апреле 1941 г. в Северной Африке "остеры" впервые использовали в роли корректировщиков артиллерийского огня. Позднее они в этом качестве служили также в Европе и Бирме. В Италии их применяли и южноафриканские подразделения.
Производство "Остера" закончилось лишь в марте 1953 г. (модификация V строилась до января 1946 г.). Последнюю модификацию, AOP Mk.6, сняли с вооружения в 1955 г.
Моторы, количество х мощность:||1 x 130 л.с.
Взлетная масса, максимальная:||903 кг
Максимальная скорость:||209 км/ч
Практический потолок:||4575 м
Jane's Encyclopedia of Aviation
Auster Aircraft (UK)
Because of the large number of basically similar aircraft produced by this company during the 1940s and 1950s, it is considered expedient to cover the earlier types in the following paragraphs. Many of the later types are covered separately thereafter.
Auster Aircraft Ltd was a successor to Taylorcraft Aeroplanes (England) Ltd which was formed in 1939 to manufacture a cabin monoplane under licence from Taylorcraft Aircraft Corporation of America. The company assumed the name Auster Aircraft Ltd on 7 March 1946.
The British Taylorcraft was produced in a number of different forms for the RAF and the British Army. The Auster 1 (Cirrus Minor engine), the Auster 3 (Gipsy Major engine) and Auster 4 and 5 (97 kW; 130 hp Lycoming engine) were all used on active service as three-seat artillery spotters or Air Observation Posts. Throughout the war development of the design continued, and although the same basic welded steel-tube structure remained, considerable strengthening was achieved and performance improved. In later Auster 5 models trailing-edge flaps were incorporated. During the wai the company built 1,604 Austers for the RAF and the Army Air Corps: 100 Mk 1s,
2 Mk 2s (shortage of Lycoming engines), 467 Mk 3s, 255 Mk 4s and 780 Mk 5s. In addition, six Model H gliders were built.
Taylorcraft Plus C
This Taylorcraft Plus C, owned by the Romford Flying Club, was burnt in a hangar fire at Maylands on February 6, 1940.
This Taylorcraft Plus C was operated by the Romford Flying Club at May lands in 1939.
Taylorcraft Plus C G-AFTN.
Impressed Taylorcraft Plus Cs were upgraded following to C/2 standard, replacing the original Lycoming with the Cirrus Minor I. HH985, here in June 1942, was struck off charge on February 28, 1943.
Taylorcraft Model D G-AHXG of the Shropshire Aero Club following C of A renewal at Baginton. It was destroyed in a gale at Sleap on February 12, 1961.
Taylorcraft Plus D
Taylorcraft Plus D, G-AHWJ, was used by Bristol & Wessex aero club for years.
Two views of the Taylorcraft Plus D LB312 in civvies.
Taylorcraft Plus D G-AHXE, ex LB312, was photographed by AIR VISUAL.
Now back in the air following an eight-year rebuild is Taylorcraft Plus D G-AHEN, now finished in military markings as LB375.
The photo was taken by MICHAEL BLACKMAN near Middle Wallop on July 17, 1979.
Plus D T9120 was the first aircraft delivered to the British military from Taylorcraft Aeroplanes, being used in the original evaluation.
Taylorcraft Plus D LB312 over Shoreham in mid-1977. Inset, Major Roy Waters
One of the visitors to the PFA Rally at Sywell on July 1-3, 1977 was Taylorcraft Plus D G-AHXE.
Taylorcraft Plus D W5741 of No 1424 Flight from Larkhill was previously G-AFZI, and was later restored to the civil register.
Taylorcraft Plus D G-AFZl was impressed soon after the outbreak of hostilities, becoming W5741.
With Butlin’s bunting waving in the breeze in the background, G-AKOG comes in over Taylorcraft Plus D G-AHCG to land at Ingoldmells.
"Остер" I на аэродроме
Auster Mk.I LB278. The 'stick' in front of the cockpit is the crude fuel level indicator, while visible under the horizontal tailplane is the aerodynamic trim vane.
The new engine for the Mk.II - MZ105 illustrated - required a shorter cowling design.
Like many British prototypes of the era, MZ105 had camouflage upper surfaces and yellow undersides. The lines on the underside of the fuselage are zips in the fabric that gave easy access to the internal structure of the aircraft.
The Auster was the backbone of the RAF Army Co-operation Squadrons during World War Two and throughout the 1950s. This example, MT105, was built as an AOP.III but is seen here after being temporarily converted to Mk II standard with a Lycoming engine. In 1944/45 it was one of many transferred to the Royal Australian Air Force, as the RAF reequipped with later models.
Classic view from a 'walk-around' sequence of MZ105 as a Mk.II at Boscombe Down in February 1943.
MZ105 was one of two prototype Mk.IIs with a Lycoming O-293-3.
Taylorcraft Auster III LB319 pictured in October 1942
The prototype Auster Mk.III, October 1942, introduced the Gipsy Major I. LB319 lacked other features of the Mk.III, most notable of which was the extension of the glazing to the rear of the fuselage.
Taylorcraft Auster AOP III at Foggia Main, Italy, on December 2, 1943, where it was engaged on RAF Communications Squadron duties.
Taylorcraft Auster III MZ127 was delivered ex-Rearsby early in 1943.
Taylorcraft Auster III MZ108 operating in Italy in 1943. Built at Rearsby early in 1943, it was finally struck off RAF charge in August 1944.
Air Observation Post (AOP) Austers initially played a complementary role to close air support, guiding artillery where targets were within range. They operated in detached flights, each of four aircraft, one aircraft and pilot being a section: A (numbered 1-4), B (5-8), C (9-12) and HQ (13-16). This Mk III flew with B Flt, No 655 Sqn.
The Austers of the four RAF squadrons in Italy played an important part in the Rover system. Flown by Army pilots from advanced landing grounds, they could call in fighter-bombers to attack targets out of sight of ground controllers via their Army links. Seen here is Auster III NJ908 of No 651 Sqn, attached to the Army’s V Corps.
A fine study of Auster AOP III NJ747 making an uncharacteristic leap off the ground during a demonstration at Rearsby in September 1943.
Auster III NJ747 demonstrating its manoeuvrability at Rearsby in September 1943.
An Auster III is guided on to a beach at Akyab, Burma.
The Auster III was powered by a 130 h.p. D.H. Gipsy Major engine and had split trailing-edge flaps to give better short field performance.
Visibility was vital to the AOP mission, and also the survival of the Auster itself. Production Mk.IIIs, such as MT407, had more extensive Perspex glazing at the rear of the cockpit. In addition a rear-view mirror was mounted above the cockpit cabin.
Capt Day RA shortly after his arrival on HMS Hunter in an Auster III in the Bay of Bengal in May 1945.
An Auster III on a beach at Akyab, Burma in January 1945.
Photographed from a train near Beilen in 1965 are an unidentified Tiger Moth and the mortal remains of Auster III PH-NIN. Formerly NX537 with the RAF, this aircraft became R-7 and 8A-10 with the Dutch Air Force before being sold directly to Skylight, an aerial advertising company. It was written off near Beilen in the northern province of Drente, on June 27, 1964, and was broken up the following year. We would like to hear from anyone who knows the meaning of the name Antic Aeroplanes painted on the fuselage, or the identity of the Tiger Moth.
Auster III PH-NGK also began life with the RAF, as MZ331, before being passed to the Dutch Air Force, becoming R-18 and 8A-11. At the time the aircraft was photographed, at Eelde Airport in May 1968, it was owned by Tugair.
Auster III PH-NGF initially flew with the RAF as MZ166. In the Dutch Air Force it became R-5 and 8A-1 before being registered as PH-NGF. It is pictured at Hilversum Airport on May 14, 1966.
Looking fresh out of the paintshop in an updated almond-and-blue colour scheme is Auster III PH-UFP, formerly NJ916 of the RAF, at Rotterdam in 1960. It had previously served with the Dutch Air Force and Navy. In 1964, registered G-ATAX, it was operated by the Geilenkirchen Flying Club in Germany. Following a return to the Dutch register in July 1965, the aircraft flew again as G-ATAX, this time with the Laarbruch Flying Club. Later it was sold in Australia as VH-KRL.
Like many foreign air arms that operated Austers, Greece used them in combat. NJ894 was one of a batch used by the Royal Hellenic Air Force during the civil war in the country following the German withdrawal
Left, Mrs Richard Law with Maj Tetley Jones inspecting the Austers of 653 Squadron at Penshurst in January 1944. Right, another view of the same occasion with Auster AOP.III NJ838 at left.
An Auster AOP.III of 653 Squadron takes off from Penshurst in 1944.
Amongst the Mk.IIIs used by the RAAF was one of the original Mk.II prototypes, MZ105, which was upgraded to Mk.III standard before being handed over to the Australians. The aircraft survived its RAAF service and still flies in private hands.
A11-55 as it appears today, restored to its original RAAF scheme.
A11-55 as VH-ALS in the colours of the RAAF Richmond Gliding Club.
The first AOP.IIIs for the Netherlands were operated in RAF markings before adopting R-prefixed serials - R-2 was one of two later transferred to the Dutch police, both becoming PH-POL.
Auster 3 9M-ALB, probably at Sharjah
An interesting photograph of the Nene-Vampire A78-2 when in use at the RAAF base at Rathmines as an instructional airframe. Also visible in this photograph are a Wirraway, Mustang, Auster III and Tiger Moth.
MT454 was the Mk.IV prototype. It was in this aircraft that A L Wykes was killed on May 15,1944.
Production Mk.IVs had a neater engine exhaust than used by the prototype. Another difference was that navigation lights were mounted in fairings on the wingtips.
Except for the new engine, the Perspex cabin roof and the tailwheel, the Auster IV resembled previous models externally.
AOP.IV MS951 carrying a red cross and white undersides to denote its use in the casualty evacuation role with the Netheravon Station Flight in 1947.
Taylorcraft Auster AOP IV MS951 modified to take a stretcher and with ambulance markings.
The rear visibility of the Auster Mk.IV was further improved by redesigning the rear and upper Perspex units.
Auster Mk.IV MS958 was one of a batch of 254 built as such between March and May 1944. It served with 653 Squadron, surviving the war to be sold in March 1947 as G-ALYA.
Taylorcraft Auster IV MS958 pictured in January 1944 before it went to 653 Sqn. In 1949 it became G-ALFA.
Taylorcraft Auster AOP IV MT306 of No 651 Squadron is surveyed by RAF personnel at Count Ciano’s Villa near Forti, after suffering flak damage while flying over the 8th Army Front during artillery spotting duties during the winter of 1944/5. Note the rough terrain which was typical AOP country.
RAF mechanics “servicing" an Auster AOP for the Royal Artillery on the Western Front during the winter of 1944-45.
A line of factory-fresh Taylorcraft Auster IVs awaiting collection at Rearsby early in 1944. MT177, in the foreground, served with 659 Sqn until it crashed on August 2, 1944. In the background is a Turbinlite Havoc, fitted with a high-powered searchlight in the nose.
A Taylorcraft Auster AOP IV takes off over a line of brand new AOP IVs at Rearsby.
Taylorcraft Auster IV MT237 leaps into the air at Rearsby in 1944. It served with 656 Sqn until struck off RAF charge in August the following year.
Taylorcraft Auster IV MT237 demonstrating its apparent steep take-off capability - followed, no doubt, by a mile or so of nose-up wallow and a slight rate of sink! Seen here at Rearsby in 1944, MT237 later served with 656 Sqn until struck off charge in August 1945.
The Auster IV was fitted with a 130 h.p. Lycoming flat-four air-cooled engine and had an all up weight of 1,700lb. With maximum load the take-off run was quoted as “less than 100yd”.
A Taylorcraft Auster AOP IV MT237 during a press demonstration for the benefit of Charles E. Brown's camera at Rearsby on May 2, 1944. Note the Typhoons outside the repair shops in the background.
Taylorcraft Auster IV MT242 of 651 Sqn flying in Italy in 1944. This aircraft was struck off charge in July the following year.
Someone once described flying in the Auster IV as “like sitting in a bubble." The moulded Perspex cabin roof was almost entirely free from optical distortion and the all round view from the aircraft was excellent.
Auster V израильтяне купили у англичан прямо в Палестине
The Taylorcraft Auster V Light Liaison and Observation Monoplane (130 h.p. Lycoming O-290 engine).
Taylorcraft Auster V TJ458 was delivered to 657 Sqn in 1945.
AOP.V 5404 was one of six of the variant used by the SAAF in South Africa, mainly to help train artillery personnel.
The Auster Mk.V was externally identical to the Mk.IV. It was the most widely produced version and the final type to enter service before World War Two ended.
Mk.V TJ537, in December 1945, served throughout its life with the RAE at Farnborough. Can readers explain the rig it is mounted on?
No 1315 Flight provided transport and liaison support for BCOF. For the latter task it used Auster Vs like TJ603 here at Miho in mid-1947.
TJ603 served with the British Commonwealth Occupation Force in Japan and was serving with the Iwakuni Station Flight when photographed at the main RAF Spitfire base at Miho in 1947.
Taylorcraft Auster V TJ626 at Santa Cruz in May 1946.
Taylorcraft Auster AOP. V TJ477, one of 400 delivered to the RAF between October 1944 and December 1945, at Fayid, Egypt in November 1946. It served with 216 Sqn Communications Flight during the time that the squadron’s fleet of Douglas Dakotas was maintaining regular transport services around the Middle East. The Auster was sold as surplus in January 1948.
A rare shot of Auster V TJ704 at Stretton, while serving as a communications aircraft with 1831 Squadron.
B. H. Hargrave's Sherburn-based Auster 5, G-AKPI, in its old military camouflage as NJ703 at the "taildraggers" fly-in at Old Warden 22/5/77
Post-war many Austers abandoned the camouflage scheme and were painted silver overall. AOP.V TJ524 has a glider tug attachment under the tail.
TJ212 in contrast was apparently (if not officially) on the strength of 45 Squadron, presumably for communications or, perhaps, spotting duties while the unit was at Negombo, Ceylon, also in 1947. The squadron's main equipment comprised Bristol Beaufighter TF.10s - one of which can be seen behind.
AOP.V TJ651 served with 791 Squadron of the Fleet Air Arm at Sembawang in Singapore in 1946. It later went to the Airwork unit.
Between January 1950 and July 1952, AOP.5 TJ688 was flown by 1832 Squadron from St Merryn.
Auster 5, G-AJTV competing for the Southend Cup.
HALF-'N-HALF. Lycoming O-290-3 - powered Auster 5 operated by the Royal Queensland Aero Club of Archerfield, Brisbane, has Auster 5D-standard Aiglet empennage, but not the conversion to D.H. Gipsy Major inline. Rudder stripes identify R.Q.Ae.C.
It was useful to the Army that the Auster could be easily dismantled and loaded onto a 3-ton truck. Mk.V TJ465 plus another, served with the Austria Communications Flight.
Auster V RT538 of 656 Sqn being loaded into a C-47 “Dunibo” for Padang.
Taylorcraft Auster AOP V TJ207 was fitted with floats for the Admiralty.
Three Auster Mk. Vs were converted to operate from floats. TJ207, the first, under test at Beaumaris, Anglesey, in 1944.
FLOATPLANE AUSTER V. S/Ldr. L. S. Ash, R.A.F.O. (white overalls) has sent us this photograph of the first Taylorcraft Auster (a Mark V: TJ207) to be fitted with twin floats taken from a D.H.82 Queen Bee. S/Ldr. Ash carried out the test flying while at Saunders-Roe, Beaumaris, Anglesey, during the winter 1944-45. In this seaplane form the Auster V had a maximum speed of 105 m.p.h. on 130-h.p. Lycoming O-290-3/1. Later, two more Mk. Vs and two Mk. lVs were similarly "booted".
Rudimentary flying control somewhere in the Imphal Valley. The controller is flashing a green, perhaps a red, with his Aldis lamp. Cloud obscures the mountaintops in the distance and an AOP Auster lurks on the dusty airfield in the background.