De Havilland Tiger Moth / D.H.82
Варианты:
De Havilland - Tiger Moth / D.H.82 - 1931 - Великобритания
Страна: Великобритания
Год: 1931


Двухместный учебный и спортивный самолет
Описание:
de Havilland DH.82 Tiger Moth
Flight, November 1931
The New “Tiger Moth”
Flight, November 1932
British Aircraft
Flight, October 1933
THE "TIGER MOTH" FIGHTER
Flight, March 1938
British light aircraft
Flight, September 1939
To-day's Light Aeroplanes
Фотографии:

Ч/б фото (299)

de Havilland DH.82 Tiger Moth

Успех DH.60 Moth стимулировал разработку военной версии машины, известной как DH.60T Moth Trainer. По сравнению с гражданскими вариантами, конструкцию DH.60T усилили для полетов с большей массой. Он мог оснащаться подвеской для четырех практических бомб массой по 9,1-кг под фюзеляжем, а также фотопулеметом либо АФА различных типов для разведки. Поэтому Moth Trainer годился для обучения пилотов, бомбардиров и стрелков. Для облегчения аварийного выхода из передней кабины расчалки были наклонены вперед к передней части крепления корневой части крыла, а дверцы кабины - увеличены. Стойки центроплана все еще окружали переднюю кабину, однако в новом учебно-боевом самолете, разработанном по спецификации 15/31, их сдвинули вперед для облегчения покидания машины. Смещение центра тяжести, вызванное этим смещением крыльев, компенсировали, придав консолям небольшую стреловидность. Был установлен перевернутый рядный мотор Gipsy III мощностью 120 л. с. (90 кВт) и скошенный капот, обеспечивший лучший обзор из кабины пилота.
   Построили восемь предсерийных экземпляров с тем же обозначением DH.60T, но с новым наименованием Tiger Moth. За ними последовала машина с увеличенным поперечным "V" и стреловидностью нижнего крыла. Этот самолет получил новое обозначение DH.82. Он впервые поднялся в воздух 26 октября 1931 года. По спецификации 23/31 заказали 35 таких машин под военным обозначением Tiger Moth Mk I. В ноябре 1931 года первые из них прибыли в учебную часть FTS №3. Другие поступили в часть CFS в мае 1932 года. Звено из пяти летчиков CFS показало свое мастерство и перевернутый пилотаж на новом учебно-боевом самолете на аэрошоу 1932 года в Хендоне. Подобные машины поставлялись на экспорт в Бразилию, Данию, Персию, Португалию и Швецию. Еще два самолета со спаренными поплавками фирмы "Short Brothers" были построены по спецификации T.6/33 для оценки британскими ВВС.
   Затем де Хэвилленд разработал улучшенную версию с мотором Gipsy Major I мощностью 130 л. с. (97 кВт) и фанерной (вместо полотняной) обшивкой фюзеляжа. Этот самолет назвали DH.82A или Tiger Moth Mk II. ВВС Британии заказали 50 таких машин по спецификации T.26/33. На Tiger Moth Mk II имелся съемный колпак, которым можно было накрыть заднюю кабину для обучения полетам по приборам. Первые машины поступили в Кинли с ноября 1934 по январь 1935 года. Другие попали в летные школы авиакомпаний "Bristol Aeroplane Company", "de Havilland School of Flying", "Brooklands Aviation Ltd", "Phillips and Powis School of Flying", "Reid and Sigrist Ltd", "Airwork Ltd" и "Scottish Aviation Ltd".

   Эти компании участвовали в обучении резервистов для британских ВВС. В августе 1939 года действовало не менее 44 таких школ, хотя 20 из них закрылись с началом войны.
   До Второй мировой войны бипланы Tiger Moth строили по лицензии в Норвегии, Португалии, Швеции и Канаде. Фирма "de Havilland Aircraft of Canada" собрала 227 DH.82A. Позднее эта компания построила 1520 бипланов DH.82C зимней версии с мотором Gipsy Major IC мощностью 145 л. с. (108 кВт) с переделанным капотом, сдвижным фонарем, обогревом кабины, колесными тормозами и хвостовым колесом вместо стандартного костыля. При необходимости вместо колес могли устанавливаться лыжи либо поплавки. Некоторые экземпляры, для которых не хватало двигателей Gipsy Major, оснащались моторами Menasco Pirate D.4 мощностью 160 л.с. (119 кВт). 200 DH.82C, от которых отказались канадские ВВС, заказали ВВС США под обозначением PT-24.
   После начала войны гражданские машины мобилизовали в ВВС Британии для связи и обучения, а также заказали для военных нужд новую большую партию. 795 самолетов собрали на заводе в Хэтфилде, затем этот завод перевели на серийное производство самолетов Mosquito. Линию по сборке Tiger Moth восстановили на заводе фирмы "Morris Motors Ltd", где изготовили до 3500 машин, фирма "de Havilland Aircraft of New Zealand" построила еще 345 бипланов, а австралийская фирма "de Havilland Aircraft Pty" отправила военным заказчикам 1085 машин.
   17 сентября 1939 года, всего через две недели после объявления войны, звено "А" эскадрильи связи британского экспедиционного корпуса (позднее 81-я эскадрилья) отправили во Францию. Всю зиму и весну 1940 года бипланы Tiger Moth этой части летали в северной Франции, поддерживая связь вплоть до эвакуации британских войск из Дюнкерка. Уцелевшие самолеты перелетели в Великобританию.
   Бипланы Tiger Moth также готовили к ударам по возможному немецкому десанту. Под задней кабиной либо под нижним крылом устанавливали пилоны для подвески восьми бомб калибра 9,1 кг. Хотя было изготовлено и распределено по летным школам до 1500 комплектов пилонов, ни один такой самолет не применили в боях. Ранее, в декабре 1939 года, сформировали шесть эскадрилий прибрежного дозора, пять из них оснастили бипланами Tiger Moth. Они не могли атаковать субмарины, но звук их моторов и возможность обнаружения могли заставить немецких подводников погрузиться, тем самым помешав возможным атакам на корабли. На Дальнем Востоке несколько Tiger Moth переделали в санитарные самолеты, увеличив багажный отсек и расширив его створки, чтобы туда можно было поместить носилки с раненым.
   Однако наибольший вклад в победу Tiger Moth внес в качестве учебного самолета. Машинами этого типа оснастили 28 школ начальной летной подготовки в Британии, 25 в Канаде (плюс четыре школы радистов), 12 в Австралии, четыре в Родезии (плюс школа инструкторов летного дела), семь в Южной Африке и две в Индии.
   Также необходимо упомянуть радиоуправляемый самолет-мишень DH.82B Queen Bee, представлявший собой упрощенную цельнодеревянную версию Tiger Moth. Он имел фюзеляж от Moth Major, крылья от Tiger Moth, мотор Gipsy Major, электрогенератор с приводом от крыльчатки и бензобак большой емкости. 5 января 1935 года прототип облетали с ручным управлением, затем собрали 380 машин для обучения пилотов-истребителей, зенитчиков и воздушных стрелков.
   До конца войны собрали более 8000 аэропланов Tiger Moth. С окончанием войны многие из них попали на гражданский рынок. ВВС Британии передали много бипланов для гражданского и военного применения в Бельгию, Францию и Нидерланды. Кроме обучения, спорта и досуга они стали применяться в самых неожиданных ипостасях. Многие оказались ценными помощниками в сельском хозяйстве, что оказалось очень важным для Новой Зеландии. Ряд самолетов оборудовали закрытыми кабинами для повышения комфорта пилота и пассажира. Самую серьезную переделку осуществила британская компания "Jackaroo Aircraft Ltd", расширив фюзеляж для посадки четырех пассажиров попарно, плечом к плечу. В период с 1957 по 1959 год собрали 19 таких машин под названием Thruxton Jackaroo, включая варианты с открытой кабиной пилота и закрытым салоном. В 2010 году во всем мире еще летало изрядное число этих "долгожителей".


ТАКТИКО-ТЕХНИЧЕСКИЕ ХАРАКТЕРИСТИКИ

   de Havilland DH.82C Tiger Moth

   Тип: двухместный учебный и спортивный самолет
   Силовая установка: рядный поршневой мотор de Havilland Gipsy Major 1С мощностью 145 л.с. (108 кВт)
   Летные характеристики: максимальная скорость 172 км/ч на оптимальной высоте; крейсерская скорость 145 км/ч на оптимальной высоте; начальная скороподъемность 229 м/мин; практический потолок 4450 м; дальность полета 443 км
   Масса: пустого самолета 506 кг; максимальная взлетная 828 кг
   Размеры: размах крыльев 8,94 м; длина 7,29 м; высота 2,69 м; площадь крыльев 22,20 м2

Flight, November 1931

The New “Tiger Moth”
Strictly speaking the sub-title of this article should be "The Tiger Moth is dead. Long live the Tiger Moth." The original "Tiger Moth" was a very diminutive monoplane on which a world's speed record for light planes was established. It was fitted with the first De Havilland "Gipsy" engine. The new "Tiger Moth," described below, is a machine specially designed for training.

   ECONOMY in training is a subject which every nation possessing an Air Force is studying very intently at the moment. In the great majority of cases economy is sought by choosing for training a type of aircraft which, while reasonably cheap in first cost and maintenance, does not differ too greatly in its flying characteristics from the more powerful service types upon which pilots will have to do their flying after tuition. The old idea of the need for specialised types in the various stages of training dies hard, and, incredible as it may seem, there are still those who believe that efficient training demands something like four different aircraft types.
   Provided that the training machine has living characteristics not too different from those of more powerful aircraft, it would seem that one training type, followed perhaps by a relatively short period of practice on a really high-powered machine to accustom pilots to the roar of the big engine, should do all that is necessary. For this to be possible, the training machine must provide a good compromise, or rather series of compromises. It must be fairly easy to fly, yet not too easy. It must be capable of all the usual aerobatic manoeuvres, which is to say, it must be very controllable in all attitudes. It must be capable of carrying a very considerable load in the form of equipment, so that tuition in several subjects other than flying may be possible. But obviously there is no real necessity for the training machine to be capable of all these things simultaneously, provided the change-over from one form of training to another can be made quickly.
   We believe that considerations such as those outlined above guided the de Havilland designers in producing the new "Tiger Moth," which is now beginning to issue from the Stag Lane factory in considerable numbers. One batch was delivered recently to No. 3 Flying Training School, Grantham, and others are coming along.
   The name "Tiger Moth" was chosen - somewhat unwisely in our opinion - because under the Air Ministry's scheme training machine titles must begin with a T, and no other appropriate "Moth" name complying with that requirement presented itself. Most of our readers will remember that some years ago the de Havilland Company produced a very interesting little racing monoplane known as the "Tiger Moth," and some confusion is likely to arise by using the same name for a new type. However, doubtless in a couple of years, when the new "Tiger Moth" will have become familiar to everybody, the original machine bearing this name will have been forgotten, and so, perhaps, any disadvantage which the choice of this name may present at the moment will be of a temporary nature only.
   The new "Tiger Moth" retains most of the characteristics of appearance which one associates with the "Moth" machines of all types, but considerable changes have been made, changes which have a profound effect on the practical use of the machine. It may, perhaps, be recollected that some months ago we described and illustrated a type of "Moth" in which alterations to the wing bracing, and some smaller changes in the cockpit doors, resulted in a much easier path of exit from the front cockpit. In the "Tiger Moth" this principle has been carried to its logical conclusion by departing from the vertical biplane arrangement which has always been characteristic of the "Moth" and introducing a fairly heavily staggered cellule. To bring the centre of pressure back to its proper position, the stagger has had to be accompanied by a considerable sweep-back, not altogether beneficial in the matter of looks, but having probably no other disadvantages.
   Structurally, the "Tiger Moth" differs not at all from the earlier "Moths." The fuselage is a welded steel tube structure, while the wings have wooden spars and ribs, although quite probably sooner or later an all-metal version will be introduced by producing a set of metal wings for the welded steel tube fuselage. The earlier "Moth" is so well known the world over that it is unnecessary for us to devote space to a description of the constructional features of the "Tiger Moth," and our readers will doubtless prefer to be told something of the respects in which the "Tiger Moth" differs from previous "Moth" biplanes.
   The "Tiger Moth" is a tractor biplane with staggered and back-swept wings, and the engine fitted is the de Havilland inverted "Gipsy III," rated at 120 h.p. By staggering the upper wing, the centre-section struts are brought forward, ahead of the front cockpit, and as the doors have been made to hinge along a line quite low over the fuselage, exit from the front cockpit is very easy, and the occupant has as good a chance of using his parachute as has the occupant of the back seat. What further adds to the facility of exit is that the exhaust pipe has been changed to come straight down from the engine instead of running along the side of the fuselage, while the lift bracing wires both run to the front bottom spar fitting, so that the rear wire does not get in the way at all.
   The wings of the "Tiger Moth" do not fold. For a private owner this might be something of a drawback, but for service training there is usually plenty of hangar space available.
   Although the "Tiger Moth" can be used for a great variety of purposes, there are five main functions which it has been specially designed to fulfil. These are training in the following branches of air duties: Flying training, observation and reconnaissance, long-range light bombing, single-seater fighter training and two-seater seaplane training. The fact that the machine is of low first cost and very cheap indeed to operate and maintain should be a great point in its favour in these times of economy. The maximum permissible gross weight of the "Tiger Moth" is 1,825 lb. (828 kg.) for "Normal" Certificate of Airworthiness, and 1,650 lb. (748 kg.) for the "Aerobatics" Certificate. The tare weight varies, of course, according to the duties for which the machine is equipped.

Standard Equipment

   A very complete equipment is carried, irrespective of the duties for which the machine is being used at the moment. Dividing this into instruments, fixed equipment and loose equipment, the following are carried under these three subheads :-
   Instruments. - Duplicated, i.e., provided in both cockpits, on instrument boards: Airspeed indicator, altitude meter, oil pressure gauge, revolution indicator and inclinometer.
   Also duplicated, but not mounted on the instrument boards, are the following: Hughes Compass, III A 6/18 mounted on brackets on the control boxes; when the machine is equipped for wireless, the compass in the front cockpit is mounted on port side. D.H. strut-type airspeed indicator is mounted on interplane struts, and can be read from both cockpits.
   Fixed Equipment. - This comprises the following: Parachute-type seats; luggage locker; inter-cockpit telephones; 3-piece unsplinterable windscreens; D.H. aerobatic harness in both cockpits; parallel motion adjustable rudder bars; dual tail trimming control; dual throttle control; dual control column; split axle undercarriage with Dunlop low-pressure tyres; special wide doors for emergency exit; Essex fire extinguisher; special large cowl rolls; master ignition switch in front cockpit.
   Loose Equipment. - Airscrew and cockpit covers; engine and aircraft tool roll; engine and aircraft instruction books; engine, aircraft and journey log books; certificate of airworthiness; certificate of registration.

Special Equipment

   The following special equipment is supplied at extra cost when it is desired to use the machine for duties other than flying training :- Ten-gallon auxiliary petrol tank (larger auxiliary tanks can be supplied at the expense of other load); bomb racks to carry four 20-lb. bombs, complete with release gear; bomb sight; camera gun; gun sight; Marconi A.D. 22 wireless apparatus; P. 14 camera with slides and envelopes; parachutes; Handley-Page automatic wing tip slots; slot-locking device, operated from cockpit; metal airscrew; navigation lighting; turn indicator; drinking-water tank; ration boxes, etc.
<...>

Performance

   When loaded to a gross weight of 1,643 lb. (745 kg.), the following official speed figures were attained (the first figure is the altitude in feet, and the second the speed in m.p.h.) :- Sea level. 109.5; 2.000, 107.5; 3,000, 106.5; 5,000, 104.0; 6,500, 102.5; 10,000, 97.0; 13,000, 91.0; 15,000, 85.5. The stalling speed is 46.5 m.p.h.

Climbing Tests
   Standard Height Time from Start Rate of Climb
   ft. m. s. ft. per min.
   Sea Level - - 700
   1,000 1 29 650
   2,000 3 5 605
   3,000 4 48 560
   5,000 8 40 480
   6,500 12 0 420
   10,000 22 13 280
   13,000 36 12 160
   15,000 54 0 80
   Estimated absolute ceiling, 17,000 ft.

Flight, November 1932

British Aircraft

The De Havilland Aircraft Co., Ltd.
Stag Lane, Aerodrome, Edgware, Middlesex

   CAPT. GEOFFREY DE HAVILLAND is one of the oldest (aeronautically speaking) British aircraft designers, having designed his first aircraft somewhere around 1908, and having been actively engaged on aircraft design and construction ever since. The present company has been in existence since shortly after the war, and has branches in many of the Dominions overseas.
   It was the "Moth" which started the de Havilland Company on its post-war career as specialists in civil aircraft, and more particularly in aircraft suitable for the private owner, and more "Moths" have been built and flown over the world than any other type of aeroplane.
   The standard "Moth" with Gipsy II engine is already a familiar sight in almost any country, and needs no description here. A fairly recent version of it is the Gipsy III "Moth," which is offered as an alternative to, and not as a substitute for, the older model. The Gipsy III "Moth" is fitted with the inverted Gipsy III engine, and the view forward is thereby greatly improved. The very clean nose also improves the performance somewhat.

"Tiger Moth"
  
   Designed for economical training, the "Tiger Moth" (Gipsy III) can be used for flying training, and for training in bombing, wireless, etc., as well as for gunnery training with camera gun. Structurally the machine is of composite construction, with welded steel tube fuselage and wooden wings. The wings are slightly staggered and swept back, so that both occupants can use their parachutes. The rear lift wires are anchored at their lower ends near the lower front spar attachments, so that they do not interfere with getting into or out of the front cockpit.
   When the "Tiger Moth" is used for flying training, it has a tare weight of 1,075 lb. (488 kg.) and a gross weight (in acrobatic category) of 1,650 lb. (750 kg). As an observation aircraft, with camera and wireless, the tare weight is the same, but the maximum permissible gross weight is then 1,825 lb. (828 kg.). The same weight figures apply when the machine is used as above, but carrying three 20-lb. bombs.
   By fitting an extra 10-gall. tank and equipping the machine with four 20-lb. bombs, it becomes a light bomber, still retaining the same weight figures. Finally, by removing the front seat and installing a camera gun the "Tiger Moth" becomes suitable for single-seater fighter training. Weights: Tare, 1,075 lb. (488 kg.); gross (aerobatic), 1,650 lb. (750 kg.). The machine can also be supplied with floats and used for seaplane training. At a gross weight of 1,643 (745 kg.) the "Tiger Moth" has a maximum speed of 109 m.p.h. (175 km./h.) and an initial rate of climb of 700 ft./min. (3,6 m./sec).

Flight, October 1933

THE "TIGER MOTH" FIGHTER

   THE "Tiger Moth," fitted with a "Gipsy Major” engine, has been converted for use as a single-seater fighter. A machine gun, firing through the propeller, has been mounted on the fuselage, and slung beneath it bomb racks capable of holding eight 20-lb. bombs. With a load of four bombs the machine carries fuel for a distance of 500 miles. The machine gun. which has been tested on the machine, was manufactured by the Czechoslovakian Arms Factory, of Prague; the muzzle velocity is 839 m./sec, the maximum rate of fire 900, plus or minus 100 rounds a sec, the bore 7.92 mm., and a Pratt and Whitney synchronising gear is fitted, which is very light and efficient, the drive being taken from the top-half of the rear cover of the engine, where provision for hand-starting gear is normally allowed for. The gun is mounted in the front cockpit and shoots over the engine cowling; it is fixed to the machine mounting by two bolts, the rear bolt incorporating a vernier adjustment for direction and elevation. The ammunition box, holding 200 rounds, and the cartridge chute, are fixed to the mounting itself, the only connections between the gun mounting, and fuselage, being four holding-down bolts. The mounting is attached to the two top longerons by four bolts, but no extra holes have been drilled in the longerons. The gun mounting and sight can be very easily taken off by just removing eight bolts. The cocking handle is on the right-hand side of the cockpit, and is connected by a cotter pin to the lever which acts on the gun. The trigger is a little lever attached to the front of the joy stick and connected to the gun by a Bowden cable. The mounting for the sights is on the right side of the fuselage in front of the cockpit, the ordinary ring and bead sights can be fitted, or an Aldis Telescopic Gun Sight for long-distance firing. The ammunition box can be taken out and refilled without disturbing the rest of the mounting. Tests with propeller speeds varying between 800 and 2,400 r.p.m., were done with the following results: pulling over the propeller by hand the first round penetrated the disc attached to the propeller 19 1/2 degrees after top dead centre; dispersion throughout the entire speed range occurred between the angles 45 and 86 degrees.
   The machine looks a very nice little job and should be very useful for ground straffing, for which purpose it was probably designed more than for actual aerial fighting. It can easily be converted into a trainer by the removal of the gun and bomb racks. A detachment of this machine has been ordered by a foreign Government and has already been packed up for dispatch.

Flight, March 1938

British light aircraft

DE HAVILLAND

   ORTHODOX in construction and viceless in its aerobatic or normal flying characteristics, it is not surprising that so many Tiger Moths are being used for training all over the world. Actually, the figure,is the somewhat phenomenal one of six hundred, and, since the regretted demise of the universally applicable Gipsy Moth, the Tiger has, to a large extent, taken its place. Naturally enough, with the increasing popularity of the cabin type for normal purposes an open machine is considered almost purely from its training capabilities, but the few enthusiasts who still prefer an open machine for day-to-day travel find an excellent compromise in this trainer.
   In spite of the fact that its controls are sufficiently powerful and its structure amply strong for aerobatics of the most complete kind, the Tiger is, nevertheless, a delightfully docile machine in the hands of the complete novice. It can safely be brought in under full control at an air speed of 50 m.p.h., and the process of landing is just difficult enough because of its comparatively light load­ing. to provide good training. The machine's only fault is one which does not greatly concern the club or school operator - a somewhat meagre flying range. Needless to say, special tankage can be arranged for other purposes.

   SPECIFICATION: Span, 29ft. 4in.; length, 24ft.; all-up weight, 1,770 lb.; weight empty, 1,115 maximum speed, 109 m.p.h.; cruising speed, 93 m.p.h.; landing speed, 45 m.p.h.; initial rate of climb, 673 ft./min.; cruising range 290 miles.

Flight, September 1939

To-day's Light Aeroplanes

DE HAVILLAND

   Needless to say, the Tiger Moth, which is essentially an ab initio and aerobatic trainer, is still in quantity production. It is a staggered biplane with tandem seating, and is normally sold with full blind-flying dual equipment. Floats or skis may be fitted in place of a land plane undercarriage for specialised operations.

Span 29ft. 4m.
Length 24ft.
Weight empty 1,115 lb.
All-up weight 1,770 lb.
Max. speed 109 m.p.h.
Cruising speed 93 m.p.h.
Landing speed 45 m.p.h.
Initial rate of climb 673 ft./mm
Cruising range 290 miles.
Makers: The De Havilland Aircraft Co., Ltd., Hatfield Aerodrome. Herts.
The D.H.60T Tiger Moth test aircraft, E5/G-ABNJ, at Martlesham in August 1931 with the low-set bottom mainplanes.
Taxying out for take-off. Note the absence of anti-spin strokes and the fabric and stringer fuselage decking characteristic of early production Tiger Moths.
DE HAVILLAND "TIGER MOTH": "Gipsy III" engine.
GOOD LINES: When one becomes accustomed to the downward slope forward resulting from the installation of the Gipsy III engine, the "Tiger Moth" is of pleasing appearance.
FOR NAVIGATIONAL TRAINING: A D.H. "Tiger Moth" fitted with a hood for instruction in the art of "blind flying." As previously recorded in FLIGHT, a number of "Tiger Moths" so equipped have been ordered for the Royal Air Force. The particular machine illustrated belongs to No. 24 (Communications) Squadron.
THREE-QUARTER REAR VIEW: Both planes are swept back, but only the lower has a dihedral.
THE NEW "TIGER MOTH": This three-quarter front view shows the small obstruction to view presented by the Gipsy III engine.
On September 13, 1981, a large gathering of Tiger Moths assembled to celebrate the type's 50th birthday. The immaculate example illustrated here was doped trainer yellow and silver and bore the RAF serial number K2572 representing an aircraft from the first production batch of 1931-32.
GORDON BAIN photographed Vic Wheeler's D.H.82A Tiger Moth G-AOZH/NM129/"K2572" on August 20 this year
I have been rebuilding my Tiger Moth over the last five years, during my lunch breaks, but only as a static model for display purposes. My Tiger Moth is also painted with the serial number K2572 and I assume this is authentic having found the batch order number on the fuselage to be: NERO/MCO/R/SO 1744 DTD 308 & 83A C and having checked through paperwork and found it to be from the original 1931-32 batch. North Ferriby, B. H. CLARKE North Humberside.
D.H. Tiger Moth K2592 was part of a batch of 35 RAF Tigers delivered between October 1931 and January 1932. In addition to spending time at Kai Tak, this Tiger was later stationed at Tengah. K2592 was converted to a seaplane in May 1934. On December 15, 1940 K2592 crashed at Kranji, Singapore.
Taking off under the hood. N9181 during instrument training at Yatesbury in April 1940.
The D.H. Tiger-Moth II Two-seat Primary Training Biplane (130 h.p. D.H. Gipsy-Major engine).
Большинство экипажей британских ВВС и многие пилоты из стран Содружества во время Второй мировой войны обучались на Tiger. Самолет активно использовался в Великобритании и других странах даже в 1950-х годах.
All 18 University Air Squadrons were equipped with de Havilland Tiger Moths after the Second World War. Machines belonging to Glasgow UAS bore the codes RUG, and those belonging to Aberdeen UAS bore RUA. Tigers continued in service with UASs and RAF Volunteer Reserve units until February 1955, when the last few were replaced by Chipmunks.
Seen flying over Lake Mead, near the borders of Arizona and Nevada, is Ray Upton's D.H.82A Tiger Moth N7966. Ray is flying the aircraft from the rear cockpit, with Gary W. McConnell along for the ride.
A Tiger Moth in RAF standard training configuration in 1940, showing the absence of anti-spin strokes, and the gas detection diamond on the fuselage forward of the fin. Note the Handley Page slats on the upper wing, seen here in the closed position, and the large ailerons on the lower mainplanes, which were not particularly effective at large angles of deflection and low airspeeds.
As T6645 flying over Hong Kong harbour in July 1977.
Typical of almost every EFTS is this scene at No 10 EFTS, RAF Yatesbury in August 1940.
Tiger Moth T8191 cannot fly in formation with the Sea Fury because its maximum speed in level flight is below the fighter's stalling speed.
de Havilland D.H.82A Tiger Moth.
Shuttleworth's new de Havilland hangar was officially opened on August 29, 1982 by Grp Capt John Cunningham. George Ellis flew the Collection's Tiger Moth T6818 overhead in salute.
Tiger Moth DE709 of the Light Aircraft School at Middle Wallop takes a look at Stonehenge in July 1952.
Tigerfly's pleasure-flying de Havilland Tiger Moth, resplendent in RAF wartime training yellow and camouflage.
The R.A.F. is but one of many military air services employing the versatile De Havilland Tiger Moth trainer. The engine is the Gipsy Major.
DE HAVILLAND TIGER MOTH: Trainer (Gipsy Major engine - 130 h.p. at sea level); span, 29ft. 4in.; gross weight, 1,825 lb.; max. speed, 109 m.p.h.
Classic shot by The Aeroplane of R5130, later converted to a Jackaroo and registered G-APOV in 1960.
The photograph of the Tiger Moth, which looks rather upset in the hands of Test-Pilot Buckingham, was obtained on quite a different occasion. Below the clouds it was just an ordinary grey overcast autumn day, yet here again are blue sky and sunshine unlimited.
Aerobatic training in L6923, 1939.
The De Havilland Tiger Moth is a well-established type on which thousands of pilots have been trained and which is still in large-scale quantity production.
4FTS Tiger Moth T6742 flying over the “Bundu” from Heany in 1948. One of a batch of 2,000 Tigers delivered between May 1940 and April 1941, T6742 was diverted to the South African Air Force in October 1941 to become 2218. In May 1947 it returned to the RAF.
Tiger Moth DX709 was built by de Havilland Aircraft Pty, in Australia during the war. Large numbers of Australian-built Tigers were shipped to Southern Rhodesia and South Africa for use under the Commonwealth Air Training Plan. The engine cowlings of the example here look somewhat battered.
4 FTS Tiger Moth DX709 flying from Heany in 1948 with Terry Kingswood and his instructor obviously enjoying the experience.
A Tiger Moth II photographed by the author in 1949 at which time it was serving with No 17 RFS, Hornchurch. Note the folded blind-flying hood behind the rear cockpit.
Tiger Moth K4288 of No 18 EFTS, Fairoaks, in all-silver training colours, 1946.
Tiger T6818/ G-ANKT, owned by the Shuttleworth Trust. Note the authentic gas-detection panel.
Tiger Moth MC542 of 4 FTS, Rhodesian Air Training Group, climbing out of Heany aerodrome - visible in the haze in the background - in May 1949.
A close-up of David Vernon flying Tiger Moth DX600 from Heany in 1948.
DH.82 «Тайгер Мот» из «Родезийской Учебной Авиагруппы». Фото периода 1941-1946 гг.
No 4 FTS Tiger Moth, T6629, seen during local formation flying in the vicinity of RAF Heany. Five Elementary and Reserve Flying Training Schools in the Rhodesian Air Training Group were equipped with Tiger Moths between the years of 1937-39 and it was the last biplane trainer in the RAF. The type remained in service at RAF Heany with the RAF Volunteer Reserve until 1951.
Tiger Moth T7785 of B Flight, No 4 FTS RAF Heany, Southern Rhodesia, built by Morris Motors Ltd at Cowley.
When flying, always keep an eye on somewhere to forced-land! Tiger Moth T8189 from B Flight in the Motopo Hills.
Tiger Moth T6629 is featured again, during a formation landing by No 4 FTS aircraft in May 1949.
Эти пять Tiger Moth Mk I из первых 35 машин, построенных в 1931 году для Центральной летной школы. В 1932 году на воздушном параде в Хендоне они показали полет в перевернутом строю.
INVERTED FLYING: "Tiger Moths" from C.F.S. In the photograph the leader is inverted and the others "right way up."
INVERTED FLYING: "Tiger Moths" from C.F.S. All five machines are upside down.
The flight of three D.H.82A Tiger Moths owned by Leisure Sport and flown in Second World War Royal Navy colours. The Tigers are, left to right, T7187 (G-AOBX), T6553 (G-APIG) and N9191 (G-ALND).
Студенты имели возможность получить летную подготовку в звеньях Tiger Moth университетских эскадрилий, которые дислоцировались на авиабазах ВВС Великобритании и реже в гражданских аэропортах. На снимке - тройка Tiger Moth II из университетской эскадрильи Оксфорда, сформированной в 1925 году, была сфотографирована в 1947 году.
Tiger Moths of the Oxford University Air Squadron flying over the city of dreaming spires in 1947.
An echelon by the University of London Air Squadron near White Waltham in 1950.
A Batch of De Havilland "Tiger-Moth" Trainers, belonging to the Swedish Army Air Service.
LINING UP FOR THE TORTOISE RACE: Four "Tiger Moths" getting ready for the slow-flying race.
The Tiger Moth Diamond Nine team gave an excellent display at Cottesmore. The volunteer pilots in the team, founded by its leader Charlie Shea Simmonds in 1986, are a popular attraction at airshows.
TRAINING TYPES: The machines from top to bottom are "Atlas," "Tutor," "Tiger Moth," "Tomtit" and "Siskin."
Two Tigers escorted by a Rapide arrive overhead Strathallan.
One of two shots highly commended by the judges was by Murray Howlett of Granville, NSW, Australia, who photographed a Bellanca 7AC leading two Tiger Moths in a tethered flypast during the AAAA Flying Display at Drage's Airworld, Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia in March 1986.
BETWEEN CLOUD AND CROWD: Tiger Moths from the Reid and Sigrist School at Desford manoeuvre at the Leicester Coronation Air Display.
ENTERTAINING IMPRESSION of a high-spirited batch of D.H. Tiger Moths picking up formation. They are from No 12 Elementary and Reserve Flying and Training School, Prestwick, Ayrshire, operated by Scottish Aviation Ltd
Tigers of No 3 EFTS, ё, New Zealand.
Early production D.H.82 Tiger Moths K2567-K2571 awaiting collection from Stag Lane in November 1931.
de Havilland D.H.60T Moth Trainers (???).
Training and Operational Aircraft of the Royal New Zealand Air Force at Rongotai, near Wellington. [ZK-AAO - DH.60G Moth, ZK-AFZ - DH.82A Tiger Moth]
Pupils and instructors at No 10 EFTS, Yatesbury, in April 1940, with Bristol's civil and Service Tiger Moths in identical camouflage and yellow, with roundels.
The Tiger Moth remained in RAF service for more than 15yr and by the outbreak of World War Two more than 1,000 had been delivered, mostly to Elementary Flying Training Schools.
Impressed civil Tigers at the Indian Air Force Training School, Risalpur, in March 1940.
PRIMARY TRAINING. Viscount Swinton of Masham, our energetic Secretary of State for Air, inspecting a parade of instructors, pupils and Tiger Moths during his visit, last Friday, to the new Reid and Sigrist flying training school at Desford, near Leicester. This school is the ninth of the thirteen of its kind which are being introduced for the primary training of regular and reserve pilots of the R.A.F. under the expansion scheme.
The AOC Rhodesian Air Training Group on his annual inspection. The AOC is talking to Pilot 1 Stan Currie. The three cadets behind him are the author, Ken Povey and Geoff Thomas.
Panorama: The new building can be seen behind the Club fleet, which is lined up on the tarmac in the centre picture.
The Tiger Moth T7168 was later civilianised as G-AILR and destroyed in the Broxbourne hangar fire in June 1947.
RESERVE TRAINING IN SCOTLAND: The photograph shows a line-up of D.H. Tiger Moths outside the new Reserve School which, established by Scottish Aviation Ltd., at Prestwick, near Ayr, started flying operations last Monday. The hangar accommodates twenty-five machines, and the administrative block contains lecture rooms, armament and photographic sections, parachute room and instructors' and pupils' quarters. The directors of the company are Mr. W. E. Nixon, Lord G. N. Douglas-Hamilton, Flt. Lt. D. F. McIntyre (who served as second pilot on the Everest expedition, and who is chief instructor) and Messrs. R. L. Angus and T. P. Mills. Eight flying instructors and a ground instructor are engaged.
The picture was taken in July 1952 and shows the Auster 6s and Tiger Moths of the Army Light Aircraft School in the foreground. In the background can be seen the Spitfire LF XIVs of No 288 Sqn and several Oxfords.
Is what must surely be the lowest-altitude aerial photograph on record. Taken from a machine coming in, it shows the fleet of Tiger Moths and Harts. The deep windows of the instructors’ new room are just visible.
The pleasant vista from the lounge.
WAITING TO GO: Seven "Tiger Moths" and one "Dragon" at Hatfield, ready to start for Copenhagen. The Danish crews include Capt. C. C. Larsen, Lts. Clausen, Meincke and Rydman, Sgts. Eriksen, Petersen and Hansen, and Machine Officer Petersen.
The first batch of women ATA pilots at Hatfield in April 1940. These pilots were restricted to delivering Tiger Moths, usually to Scotland, but by the end of the year were ferrying Hatfield-built Oxfords and Masters from Woodley.
Pupils and instructors at an Elementary Flying Training School at Yatesbury prepare for the day’s flying in August 1940 - a new batch of pupils after classroom instruction goes out for flying practice and takes over the aircraft which the former batch have just used.
Would you dare to send these young men off solo it you harboured the slightest apprehension about the quality of the engine to which their lives are being trusted? Training on a large scale demands scrupulous care in every matter that affects safety. It demands the best engine obtainable. The de Havllland Gipsy engines, of which more than six thousand have gone into service, hold the confidence of pilots and engineers throughout the world. They may be trusted.
Most of the post-war RAF Tiger Moths finished up in the hands of Rollason at Croydon in the mid-fifties, after demobilisation. Large numbers were disposed of for about ?5-?25 each to civilian operators. A rebuilt Tiger Moth today will fetch anything up to ?20,000.
How the children revelled in it! This picture, centring round a "Tiger Moth" of No. 24 (Communications) Squadron at Hendon, is typical of scores of similar scenes all over the country.
Подготовка к вылету DH.82 «Тайгер Мот» из родезийской военной авиашколы в Крэнборне. Конец 1930-х гг.
A pupil preflighting a Tiger Moth at Yatesbury in August 1940.
The author beside a de Havilland Tiger Moth during training. He joined Scimitar-equipped No 800 Sqn in March 1961 and later served with No 736 Sqn on Scimitar conversion duties.
Happiness is ... The author pictured immediately after his first solo, which he made in the Tiger Moth behind him.
Tiger Moth эксплуатировались в ВВС Великобритании в 1923-1951 годах. Для британских ВВС построили 4200 самолетов, еще 2949 самолетов собрали согласно плану подготовки летчиков для стран британского содружества. На Tiger Moth также готовили летчиков в Родезии и ЮАР.
Early post-WWII RTAF procurement included a number of Tiger Moths.
Tiger Moth K4271 of 9 EFTS at Ansty in February 1942. Delivered to 3 ERFTS in the winter of 1934/35, K4271 passed to 9 EFTS, then to 21 EFTS and finally ended up with the AOP School. It was struck off charge in September 1952.
Air Schools ground crew prepare to guide Tiger Moth T5878 '33' of 16 EFTS in December 1945. Note the blind flying hood stowed behind the student's cockpit. This example was sold to the civilian market in September 1953, becoming G-AOGT.
As BB726 after demob at Croydon
The SRAU's only Tiger Moth was SR7 was fitted for blind flying and in September 1939 was re-serialled as 200.
Tiger Moth EM953
Tiger Moth RS241 '8' served with 16 EFTS from September 29, 1940, until it passed to 10 EFTS at Weston-super-Mare in February 1941. It is seen at Abbots Bromley, one of Burnaston's two RLGs. R5241 was written off on July 1, 1952, after being struck by another Tiger Moth, T7737, while parked at Dyce in Scotland.
The classic lines of the Tiger Moth, displayed by A17-565, one of the 1,085 D.H.82As built in Australia. Inset: The Tiger Moth BB704 was built as G-ADGF and impressed in 1940 for service with No 6 EFTS, subsequently acquiring the anti-spinning strakes on the rear fuselage (Mod 112) shown here in a 1949 photograph when it was serving with No 21 EFTS.
D.H. Tiger Moth T6234 of 9 EFTS at its Ansty base in February 1942. Following a period with 25 Polish Flying Training School, this Tiger became G-AMVF in April 1957 and was sold in Australia in August 1960, becoming VH-SCI.
Tiger Moth II T7694 was RCAF Digby's station hack.
No 10 EFTS Tiger Moth at Yatesbury in April 1940.
A post-war photograph of a Tiger Moth in RAF markings (silver finish with day-glo bands), serving with No 227 Operational Conversion Unit, principally for the training of Army Air Corps pilots.
Pupils under training in 10 EFTS Tigers at RAF Yatesbury in August (April ???) 1940. Note the blind flying hoods folded down behind the rear cockpits.
The author in a Tiger Moth at Nkomo, Southern Rhodesia, April 1943.
A Tiger Moth at an RAF Initial Training Wing.
Strathallan’s airworthy Tiger Moth, DF155, alias G-ANFV, is seen here, as Bernie Sedgwick brings it in.
The Strathallan Collection includes a fair cross-section of de Havilland types: Yellow-painted Tiger Moth G-ANFV/DF155.
Инструктор смотрит, как его подопечные готовятся выполнить свой первый самостоятельный полет на Tiger Moth британских ВВС, середина 1930-х годов.
Tiger Moth BD170 after repair at Rearsby, photographed on April 17, 1941.
De Havilland D.H.82A Tiger Moth II EM918, was built by Morris Motors and is seen in service with the Indian Air Force at Comilla, India, on August 1944.
Tiger Moth G-ANEL, newly painted in wartime camouflage as N9238, on roll-out at Sherburn 18/4/73;
Old friend of southern counties enthusiasts, Tiger Moth G-APCC was extremely well known in more spacious times as the last of all the camouflaged specimens, PG640, a unit of the Redhill Reserve Flying School.
ODD-BIRD de Havilland D.H.82A Tiger Moth bears ultra-modern military serial XL715. Originally R.A.F. DE395, this trainer Tiger was sold to Hants & Sussex Aviation Ltd. and might have become G-AOIK - but the Navy bought it and three others instead.
The Navy's Tiger Tug at the Lasham Gliding Championships, serial A17-84
Buccaneer pilot Lt Cdr L. E. Middleton landing on HMS Eagle during the carrier's post-modernisation trials in the English Channel, south of Eddystone in June 1964. The Tiger was attached to the Dartmouth Royal Naval College Flight.
HANGING ON THE ANTI-LIFT WIRES: Captain Hubert Broad doing inverted flying on one of the new "Tiger Moths." The first of a batch of these machines have already been delivered to the R.A.F. Flying Training School at Grantham.
FOR ECONOMICAL TRAINING: The de Havilland "Tiger Moth" can be fitted with "Gipsy III" or "Gipsy Major" engine.
Flt Lt Turner Hughes climbs into Tiger Moth G-ABUL. Note the faired-in front cockpit and the Cobham practice of identifying each aircraft type in large letters on the fuselage.
Top: “You there - give me a swing”. Aviation’s foremost impresario, Alan Cobham, sitting in one of his Tiger Moths. Sir Alan died on October 21, 1973 at the age of 79 having made his own way to the top.
Bottom: Toc H - Turner Hughes - sits on the fuselage coaming of one of the National Aviation Day Tigers, possibly G-ABUL. His handling of this aircraft had to be seen to be believed.
Flt Lt Turner Hughes inverted in D.H. Tiger Moth G-ABUL.
Flt Lt Turner Hughes inverted in D.H. Tiger Moth G-ABUL.
This classic National Aviation Day display formation was probably taken in 1933, the year that Cobham purchased Handley Page W.10 G-EBMR, seen here leading Tiger Moth G-ABUL, Southern Martlet G-ABBN, D.H.60G Gipsy Moth G-ABJC and an anonymous Avro 504K. Cobham's two Handley Page W.10s were joined by Handley Page Clive G-ABYX Astra in April 1933. In two years YX carried 120,000 passengers; it was scrapped in 1935.
Southern Martlet G-ABBN flew with National Aviation Day Displays for the 1932 season and is seen here in company with Avro 504K G-ABHI and Tiger Moth G-ABUL. G-ABBN was scrapped in 1935.
Tiger Moth G-ACDB of the de Havilland School of Flying, complete with blind flying hood, in the late Thirties.
The author in a de Havilland School of Flying Tiger Moth at White Waltham.
This pre-war shot of G-ACDC was taken at Shoreham when it was on the strength of the de Havilland School of Flying at Hatfield.
Outside Rollasons at Croydon in 1957 after re-build.
Doyen of all Tiger Moths, G-ACDC (c/n, 3177, ex-BB726) sports the original silver and maroon it wore at Hatfield twenty-four years ago. As mascot of the Tiger Club it will take part in their very full, country-wide 1958 programme. It is also hoped that the aerobatic Tiger G-APDZ, alias "The Bishop", and the Arrow Active G-ABVE, just acquired by Mr. Norman Jones, will also take part.
G-ACDJ in its original de Havilland Flying School scheme in mid-thirties.
At Biggin Hill in the mid-sixties in Surrey Aviation's colours.
De Havilland Tiger Moth G-ACDJ is the second oldest surviving example of its type on the British register
Tiger Moth G-ACDJ, photographed from the Calleva Flying Group's Tiger by Mark Peters.
Geoffrey Tyson celebrated the 25th anniversary of Bleriot's crossing of the English Channel by flying Tiger Moth G-ACEZ over the route inverted on July 25, 1934.
The National Aviation Day display invariably opened with a Grand Flypast. This one consisted of, from top to bottom: de Havilland D.H.82 Tiger Moth G-ABUL; D.H.83 Fox Moth Youth of Newfoundland; Airspeed Ferry G-ABSI; Handley Page Clive G-ABYX Youth of Australia; Cierva C.19 Autogiro G-ABGB; Airspeed Ferry G-ABSJ; Fox Moth G-ACEX Youth of Ireland and Tiger Moth G-ACEZ.
The Handley Page Clive G-ABYX leads the three Avro Cadets (G-ACLU, G-ACOZ and G-ACPB), Tiger Moth G-ACEZ and Ferry G-ABSI during the Grand Formation Flypast at Dagenham on April 14, 1934.
The circus comes to yet another town. In this formation, led by H.P. W.10 G-ABMR, are two Gipsy Moths, Comper Swift, Desoutter, Tiger Moth, Airspeed Ferry and a Southern Martlet.
Part of a National Aviation Day formation: left to right, the Airspeed Ferry G-ABSI, D.H. Tiger Moth G-ACEZ and Handley Page Clive G-ABYX.
Alan Cobham's National Aviation Day display team hits town, led by an Airspeed Ferry flanked by Tiger Moths, Desoutters, a Gipsy Moth and an Avro 504K.
Geoffrey Tyson doing his party trick in G-ACEZ, picking up a handkerchief by means of a spike fitted to the lower port wing tip, during a National Aviation Day Display at Reading in April 1934.
UN COIN ANGLAIS: In the foreground the de Havilland Aircraft Co. are together with their agent showing three types of aeroplane. On the left is the Miles "Hawk," and on the right can be seen Herr Schwabe's "Klemm" in which he has recently returned from a flight to Capetown.
INSTRUCTIONAL FLEET: Now that the London Aeroplane Club have obtained their new D.H. Dragonfly for twin-engined training their instructional fleet is one of the most complete in the country. In this Flight photograph there will be seen the Dragonfly, two Hornet Moths and five of the six Tiger Moths. In the foreground (though not to be recognised) are Messrs. Rodwell, Harris, Goodyear and Maclaren, respectively secretary, chief instructor and assistant instructors.
A composite panoramic view of Hatfield on Friday evening, June 29, 1979.
Air Commodore Allen Wheeler CBE, aged 75, refuelling his Tiger Moth at Hucknall. This aircraft won the Hatfield Concours, and its driver won the prize for the oldest pilot.
Air Commodore A. H. Wheeler near Old Warden in his Tiger Moth G-ADGV, beautifully restored at Rush Green in the Brooklands black and red which it wore as a new aeroplane at No. 6 F.T.S., Sywell, from 1935 until impressed 9/40 as BB694. After four years with No. 29 E.F.T.S. at Clyffe Pypard, Wilts., it was stored at Stretton 1946-55 and used finally by the Royal Navy at Exeter and elsewhere
IRAQ STUDIES BRITISH TRAINING METHODS: Capt. Madhat Abduk Rahman, chief instructor of the Iraq Air Force Training School, is over here to study typical R.A.F. Reserve and Volunteer Reserve organisation. He is here seen with Flt. Lt. C. A. Pike, at the De Havilland School of Flying at Hatfield, where, incidentally, he conducted the acceptance trials of three new D.H.89S for Iraq
An aerial photograph of White Waltham taken in January 1936. Amongst the de Havilland School of Flying Tigers visible is G-ADLX, nearest the hangar, in which the author made his first solo flights.
FOR THE RESERVE SCHOOLS: A batch of D.H. Tiger Moths at Hatfield before being delivered.
Going On and Coming Off: Mrs. Crossley taxies out in her chequered Tiger Moth, and Mr. Ashley sets down the Autogiro before the crowd.
The D.H.82A Tiger Moth G-ADWG, a regular pre-war airshow performer with C.W.A. Scott's circus during the mid-1980s. The aircraft was sold in India in January 1940.
In the foreground are the handicappers and starters of the Folkestone Trophy race - Messrs. Dancy and Rowarth. The machine in the foreground, the Tiger Moth piloted by R. M. Hackney, finished second.
Another of author's regular mounts was Tiger G-AERW
Basking in the summer sun, with the Brooklands clubhouse behind, is Tiger Moth G-AESA, often flown by the author.
D. H. Tiger Moth G-AESA of the Brooklands Flying Club, is seen overtaking a species of Alfa Romeo at Brooklands in 1937.
The photograph of Tiger Moth G-AESD was taken in September 1937.
The Brooklands Flying Club Tiger Moth G-AESD is the subject of the photograph, taken by Flight.
Another view of the same machine - 'SD was often flown by the author.
Tiger Moth G-AFWI (c/n 82187) flew with the FAA as BB814 until August 1972, but now belongs to Frank Cox at Yeovilton.
Framed by the mainframes of a stablemate, G-AFWI, a pre-war Tiger Moth was impressed as BB814 and, subsequent to WWII, was based at Roborough with the Britannia Royal Naval College Flight
Bill Tomkins’ interest continued after the last war, and for many years he owned the de Havilland Tiger Moth G-AHME, which he kept on his land in Northamptonshire. In April 1947 he made the news when he had 20 acres of rain-sodden land sown with wheat by air from a Miles Aerovan. The job took 2hr, including reloading. Bill Tomkins is seen here with his Tiger Moth positioned outside his own front door.
Bill Tomkins takes off for a quick circuit of his house.
Herts & Essex Tiger Moth, G-AIDT, in May 1947.
Herts & Essex Tiger Moth G-AIDV at Broxbourne in ]947. This aircraft was later given to the Enfield ATC.
Line up of Herts & Essex types at Broxbourne in 1947; Tiger Moths, Proctors and a Hornet Moth,
G-AIIZ at Fairoaks shortly after its introduction into service in 1946. In the front cockpit is Flt Lt Ted Baker, the current owner's father.
Photograph was taken at Sywell in 1974, when 'IIZ was still on the strength of the London Transport Flying Club.
D. H. Tiger Moth G-AINW during the morning's racing.
The Hampshire Aero Club’s Tiger Moth G-AISR flying over Netley near its Eastleigh base on August 24, 1947. Formerly T6068 with the RAF, 'SR was sold in Italy as I-GIVI in February 1965.
You can "almost hear the wind in the wires” remarks the author about this photograph of a civilian Tiger Moth (post-war, following RAF service). The anti-spin strokes are also shown here to advantage.
The RAE Farnborough Aero Club has been in existence for many years, initially with Tiger Moth G-AJHS on strength. However, with retirement of this aircraft it was replaced with Chipmunk G-BDDD from the mid-1970s. Both aircraft are seen here in formation over Farnborough airfield, the Chipmunk still serving to this day, albeit now in the 'Raspberry Ripple' colour scheme.
Peter Coleman's yellow and silver Tiger Moth, G-AKXS took to the air last October. It has now joined the Club's Diamond Nine team.
Можно заметить противоштопорные гребни, установленные перед стабилизатором этого бережно хранимого аэроплана Tiger Moth. Многие британские компании после войны списали эти модификации.
ADRIAN BALCH attended the de Havilland Moth Club's Woburn weekend, attended by 71 Moth types. Two of the 40 or so visiting Tiger Moths: Frank Curry flying G-ALIW and Chris Parker's G-BJZF flying in the vicinity of Woburn Abbey.
The “photographic” aircraft was the Tiger Moth G-ALWW, Weary Willie, up till then the mainstay of the SWA Flying Group, piloted by Ray Norten with Derek Lowe in the rear seat, Derek and myself being full-time members of the company’s photographic staff.
Tiger Moth G-AMHF has now been rebuilt, it is believed with parts of G-BABA, and is seen here at Thruxton (Roger Kunert).
Tiger Moth G-ANDE at Croydon in December 1953, shortly after its arrival. The aircraft was silver/grey and the zig-zag stripe and cheat-line may have been dark blue. Note the twin chimneys of Waddon Marsh power station in the background, narrowly avoided by the author - these are now landmarks for the Croydon Ikea store.
A happier return - G-ANDE at Biggin Hill in September 1964. In 1958 Biggin Hill ceased to be an operational RAF station; and, with the closure of Croydon in 1959, much of the civil and light aviation activity at the latter relocated to Biggin. Tiger Moth G-ANDE survives today and is being repaired and rebuilt after a non-fatal accident in 2007.
Built by Morris Motors at Cowley in 1943, Tiger Moth G-ANDE (c/n 85957) was originally given the RAF serial EM726 and was sold on to the UK civil register in September 1953.
D.H.60 Moth G-AAWO in company with two Tiger Moths over Woburn, Bedfordshire, during the Ah! de Havilland Moth Club Rally in August 1984.
An evocative photograph of Tiger Moth G-ANFM cloud chasing
De Havilland fly-by during the Shuttleworth display at Old Warden on 27th June. Formation consists of D.H.80 Puss Moth G-AEOA, D.H.89 Dragon Rapide G-AHGD, with D.H.83 Fox Moth G-ACEJ behind it, and D.H.82 Tiger Moth G-ANOH
The Warwickshire Aero Club’s D.H. Tiger Moth G-ANON pictured at Baginton following routine maintenance. On December 17, 1961 it was damaged beyond repair at Fairoaks following a taxying mishap.
Flt Lt David Cyster, flying Tiger Moth G-ANRF, took off from Dunsfold, Surrey, on February 7, 1978 to make a solo flight to Australia, marking the 50th anniversary of Bert Hinkler's England-Australia flight in an Avro Avian.
TIGER DUSTER (ex-R.A.F. TB263) is a single-seat conversion by Britten Norman, Ltd., of Stapleford, for a Crop Culture (Aerial), Ltd., contract in the Sudan. Note outrigged (wing) rotary atomisers. Colour: silver and red.
A fine static restoration was rolled out at the Mosquito Aircraft Museum at London Colney on July 13, 1991 - built in 1938 and last flown in 1961, de Havilland Tiger Moth G-ANRX/N6550 is returning to life in its 1957 cropspraying configuration, which makes a pleasant change.
The ex Deacon, built without centre-section tanks, seen with a substitute after the fuel tank was removed from the forward cockpit to make way for the passenger.
Her last hand hold gone, parachuting instructress Sue Burges calmly counts off the seconds before pulling her ripcord. Between her and the ground, which is only 13 seconds away, is a G.Q. Blank-Gore steerable parachute - internationally acknowledged to be the finest equipment of its type in the world.
G. H. Crump of London SE20 wins Third Prize for his photograph of Tiger Moth G-AOEI, taken from another Tiger over Cambridgeshire in March 1985.
The Warwickshire Aero Club’s Tiger Moth G-AOIM with a brand new C of A. Registered in December 1956, ’IM was formerly T7019 in the RAF.
Coupe conversions of the Tiger Moth are growing increasingly popular. Apart from the elaborate Jackaroo four-seat conversion by the Wiltshire School of Flying, four straightforward schemes are available, as for instance this one on G-AOXS.
A Blackburn Beverley makes a low and slow pass in front of the Baginton crowd line. In the foreground is Tiger Moth G-APDZ The Bishop and dominating the background is the dark form of DHC-3 Otter G-AOYX.
Tiger Moth G-BEWN, formerly the well known Norfolk-based VH-WAL, at Rochester 24/9/77 for the Esso Aerobatic Competition;
D.H.82A Tiger Moth G-BFHH, jointly owned by Peter Harrison and Martin Campbell, near Redhill on August 23, 1982.
Tiger Moth G-BFHH, owned jointly by Peter Harrison and Martin Campbell. The photograph was taken by GORDON BAIN near Redhill on August 23, 1982.
F/O. G. King's machine snapped during the hectic display which he gave in company with F/O. V. Moon; both flew "Tiger Moths."
A hanging windsock and open umbrellas tell their tale while F/O. King winds up his nerve-shattering display.
Flt. Lt. Johnson makes a final circuit - dead on time - around the Hatfield beacon after his aerobatic display with the "Tiger Moth."
Joan Hughes flies through the gap between the Bigmore Lane bridge and the roadway on the M40 in G-ANFM on May 21, 1967. She was supposed to land and taxy under the bridge, but as she explained to the court: “It was a little turbulent as I came in and I considered it was not advisable to land when I was 150-200yd from the bridge. I decided to fly rather than touch down. There was positively no danger”.
Tiger Moth G-ANFM, probably at Booker, in its distinctive red and yellow Thunderbird 6 colours and with life-size dummies clinging to the wing struts and undercarriage structure. The aircraft, D.H.82A c/n 83604, was built in 1941 and served with the RAF as T5888, before being put on the civil register as G-ANFM in October 1953.
Fig. 1: Superimposed photographs of the tufted Tiger Moth wing at 50 and 60 m.p.h.
In 1960 Ivy sold Ivy Hassard Fashions and opened a beauty salon, Jolie Madame, and another in the Chevron hotel, both in Gold Coast. In 1968 Ivy sold the salons and returned to fashion, and it was around that time that this photograph of her posing with a Tiger Moth was taken, harking back to her days as one of Australia’s most famous pioneering female pilots.
With control column in hand, Scottish entertainer Jimmy Logan climbs from a Tiger Moth at Newtownards.
Though there were some truly stunning photographs of aeroplanes, many of them did not really convey the magic of flight. This was not so with the winning entry, that submitted by Mrs Enid Typson of Edenbridge. Her winning photograph was taken at Redhill aerodrome in September 1983 and vividly conveyed the magic of flight. It was voted a clear winner.
The conspirators between acts: Mr. G. E. Lowdell and Flt. Lt. H. A. Howes snapped a moment before the latter took off to "pose" for the next picture.
Herr Seimondl, wearing the Eschner parachute, embarks in a Luton Club Tiger Moth (flown by Mr. E. W. Bonar) preparatory to making the low altitude departure.
Herr Seimondl, wearing the Eschner parachute, making the low altitude departure. The torn canopy can be seen.
This is probably the first photograph ever taken of a machine on its back with the pilot - in this case Flt. Lt. H. A. Howes - by himself and under the hood.
Same pilot, different aeroplane. Tyson in characteristic attitude in a Tiger Moth at Dagenham on Saturday, April 14, 1934.
Flt Lt Turner Hughes eyes the crowd from Tiger Moth G-ABUL as he flies inverted over Avro 504K G-ABHI and Cierva C.19 G-ABGB.
Tyson spent much of his time with National Aviation Day displays inverted, generally at low level.
“I’m not looking at that silly fool - it's obviously a photo-montage!“ (Oh no it's not! Ed.)
THROUGH THE HOOP: Mr. Tyson diving a "Tiger Moth" underneath a cord preparatory to looping up over it.
Tyson dives his Tiger Moth through the hoop at Dagenham on April 15, 1934, before looping up over it, causing Flight to comment: “He is very accurate indeed... but here again takes, we feel, undue risks in his desire to give the public a good show".
Some of the lighter types on view at Duxford before the Christie's auction. Moth Minor, Tiger Moth and Gemini nearest.
Part of the Fleet Air Arm Museum’s vast exhibition area at Yeovilton. Seen here are the de Havilland D.H.82A Tiger Moth, Fairey Swordfish II and Fairey Fulmar.
THE DANISH ARMY AIR FORCE STAND: The machine in the foreground is a Danish Fokker with Bristol "Pegasus" engine. Beyond it, on the left, can just be seen the de Havilland "Tiger Moth."
Amazing scene on the civil ramp at Kindley Field with three PanAm DC-7s including N737PA 'Clipper Climax' and N750PA 'Clipper Matchless', a DC-6, an Eastern Constellation, a Trans-Canada North Star and a KC-97 Stratotanker, just visible in the background are a Globemaster, an Albatross and a Tiger Moth.
The photograph was taken at Almaya, Cairo, shortly after the war and features the Avro York MW173, built as a freighter for the RAF. Note the Misr Airwork Tiger Moths in the background.
At Rollason’s, Croydon, November 4, 1956, after certification.
The de luxe Swiss Tiger Moth
At its Berne Airport base early 1976.
Patri’s Tiger in flight over Swiss countryside, 1976.
Swiss Tiger Moth HB-UPM in immaculate condition, one of handful of foreign Moths at the rally. These included visitors from Denmark and Germany.
Tiger Moth LN-BDM, now at Redhill after recent overhaul, was sold in Norway 9/54 ex G-ANSC;
This photograph shows the Tiger Moth By J. M. G. Gradidge before the registration was altered.
Three D.H.60GIII Moth Majors are featured in the photograph. Moths OE-TUE, OE-TAT and OE-TOE were acquired by the Austrian Aero Club in 1936 for training military pilots, note the military serial numbers on the rudders. Licence-built Udet U-12b trainers are visible in the background.
As ’ELA at Tampere in 1952
As XLA at Vesivehmaa in July 1983.
Another immaculate specimen from Belgium.
Этот голландский Tiger Moth демонстрирует увеличенный киль, ставший обязательным для самолетов этого типа в Нидерландах после войны.
Dutch airworthiness authorities required Tiger Moths to be fitted with massive and unsightly dorsal fin extensions in place of the anti-spin strokes on the fuselage. They provided a major improvement in directional stability.
The Travelling Flying School ready for action with the instructor’s car, the tent and the Tiger Moth. The place is Gatooma, Rhodesia
Самолет ZK-BBS, ранее принадлежащий ВВС Новой Зеландии, после войны был переделан в сельскохозяйственный вариант. Этот снимок DH.82 сделан во время работ на новозеландском Норт-Айленде. Погрузчик, переделанный из армейского грузовика, удерживает емкость с химикатами (бывшая нефтяная бочка) над бункером, установленным в передней кабине самолета.
OGMA/de Havilland DH.82A Tiger Moth, in typical blue finish with yellow wings and tail, at Sintra.
The RIAF received several batches of D.H.82A Tiger Moths, the first seven being acquired during 1935-36. This example, serial 207, was one of 15 delivered in July 1947. The air arm would ultimately receive 42 examples of the trusty biplane trainer.
Swedish advisers and instructors introduced the Tiger Moth and a total of almost 100 trainers of this type were acquired by the IIAF. Aircraft 152, nearest to the camera.
Иранский Р-5 на аэродроме. Справа - разведчик Хаукер "Одэкс" английского производства, закупленный иранцами позднее. Середина 1930-х гг.
Ten Polikarpov R-5 reconnaissance aircraft were acquired from the Soviet Union in 1933, but this type was not very popular in Iran. Aircraft 33 preparing to take off, Tiger Moth to the left and Audax is the foreground.
THE DE HAVILLAND "TIGER MOTH" IN SWEDEN: Captain H. Broad recently gave a series of demonstration flights at Barkeby, as a result of which the Swedish Air Authorities purchased the demonstration machine at the conclusion of the trials. In the photograph are seen Captain Broad, Major V. Porath, Director of Equipment, General Virgin, and Captain A. Florman.
The US registration of Tiger Moth N85882 is based on its c/n 85882 and it was previously SE-COY and G-ANDN
До начала Второй мировой войны, во время войны и первые годы после ее окончания Tiger Moth являлся основным учебным самолетом британского содружества наций. На нем прошло обучение огромное количество летчиков не только из Великобритании, но и из Канады, Австралии и Новой Зеландии. На снимке: австралийский DH.82A.
Учебный биплан "Тайгер-Мот"
The de Havilland Factory and Aerodrome at Rongotai, New Zealand. The aircraft are D.H. Dominies, with a Fox Moth, a Puss Moth, a Moth Minor, and a Tiger Moth in the foreground.
MIXED GRILL IN CANADA: The Canadian type of De Havilland Tiger Moth, the Fairey Battle, North American Harvard, Westland Lysander and Airspeed Oxford are all in use in the R.C.A.F. and are represented in this group. The Lysander is built in Canada but the Battles and Oxfords were imported from England.
Ex-RAF, the Tiger Moth NZ859 acquired a coupe top in New Zealand and served with the Air Training Corps Touring Flight.
A line up of Tiger Moths and Jackaroos at Baginton. Today, Jackaroos are being converted back into Tiger Moths.
One of the 136 Canadian-built Menasco Moths, 4923 is a Mk II version. The cockpit enclosure was standard on Tiger Moths used by the RCAF.
A typical Canadian-built Tiger Moth, photographed about 1942. Visible modifications include the tailwheel, Perspex canopy, steel interplane struts and repositioned undercarriage.
The Canadian-built D.H.82C Tiger Moth, first flown in March 1940, was more suited to operating in Canada, being equipped with a sliding cockpit canopy. Early D.H.82Cs were fitted with Gipsy Major IC engines; the 125 h.p. Menasco was also used, although heavier and less powerful than the Gipsy.
D.H. Tiger Moth 5155 from 32 EFTS of Swift Current and later at Bowden Alberta.
This and 5056 are D.H.82Cs and were fitted with sliding hoods, tail wheels and brakes for landing on runways as distinct from grass fields. Note the airspeed indicator showing 65 m.p.h. and the gent wearing a ten gallon hat while appropriately flying over Medicine Hat.
The enclosed cockpits of one of the Canadian-built Tiger Moths. The protective rubber covering for the instrument panel, and the "jacket" for the oil tank, are among the noticeable features.
Canadian Tigers nearing completion in de Havilland’s Toronto factory, 1940.
Completed machines, including 4053, 4052, 4056 and 4057, awaiting delivery outside the Toronto plant.
Part of a batch of specially equipped De Havilland Tiger Moths for the Royal Canadian Air Force before delivery from the Toronto factory.
Watt Martin's D.H.82C Tiger Moth CF-CKF at Milton, Ontario, Canada.
G-ANSA a D.H.82A Tiger Moth (formerly N6944) owned by Mr. D. E. Bianchi, has been fitted with wheel spats and an enclosed cabin. It is the first Tiger to embody both these refinements .
The Canadian D.H. "Tiger-Moth" Two-seat Training Biplane fitted for Winter flying.
THE "TIGER MOTH" ON FLOATS: In the description of the De Havilland "Tiger Moth" Training Machine (Gipsy III engine), published in "Flight" of November 13, 1931, we included a side elevation drawing showing the machine fitted with floats and, alternatively, wheels. A set of floats has now been made for it by Short Brothers, and our photograph shows the machine in one of the shops at Stag Lane. It will be seen that the "Tiger Moth" makes quite an attractive-looking seaplane.
Это один из двух самолетов DH.82, изначально построенных с поплавками. Таких машин компании больше не заказывали, хотя большинство самолетов-мишеней Queen Bee были оснащены поплавками, особенно использовавшиеся в британских ВМС.
One of the RAF's two Tiger Moth seaplanes, S1675, as tested in 1934.
S1676, second of the two evaluation seaplanes, in the Rochester works of Short Brothers Ltd, 1932.
The D.H. "Tiger-Moth" Training Seaplane (130 h.p. D.H. "Gipsy-Major" engine).
de Havilland D.H.82A Tiger Moth seaplane.
The sole Tiger Moth Seaplane in Britain, G-AIVW, obtained a renewed C of A during August 1971. The picture shows ’VW refuelling at Aldeburgh en route for a demonstration at the Oulton Broad regatta on 30 August.
The D.H.82C floatplane, CF-FUG, was used by Tom Dow of Thunder Bay, Ontario, to attend the recent EAA Fly-In at Oshkosh, Wisconsin, and is shown on nearby Lake Winnebago.
Watt Martin's D.H.82C Tiger Moth CF-CKF on floats.
As 'XLA operating as a floatplane from Jami jarvi in August 1978.
One of two Tiger Moths modified by Jean Salis at La Ferte Allais, France, in 1978, to look like Albatros fighters for a television production
A 1946 production five-seat de Havilland (Canada) D.H.83C Fox Moth (CF-EVK) photographed at Cartierville recently. A D.H.82C Tiger Moth is in the background.
Framed between the port wings of a Tiger Moth are these three Hawker Harts of 610 Squadron.
An interesting photograph of the Nene-Vampire A78-2 when in use at the RAAF base at Rathmines as an instructional airframe. Also visible in this photograph are a Wirraway, Mustang, Auster III and Tiger Moth.
Undergoing respray after a complete rebuild by HAECO at Kai Tak airport, Hong Kong, April 1977.
Tiger Moths stacked in the Rollason hangar awaiting civil conversion, 1959.
Tiger Moth G-ANRX under restoration in the MAM workshops where it will be rebuilt as a crop sprayer.
Тысячи юношей свой первый в жизни полет выполнили на Tiger Moth. После кадетских эскадрилий молодые летчики продолжали набираться опыта в звеньях повышенной летной подготовки. На снимке - парни из колледжа Рэдли изучают мотор Gipsy Major.
"Twenty-Five-Hour": At work on one of the Club Tigers - now the standard training type at Brooklands.
Tens of thousands of pilots in the Royal Air Force of Great Britain and in military and civil schools throughout the world owe the correctness and thoroughness of their tuition to the confident choice of the leading flying training authorities - the Tiger Moth and its Gipsy Major engine.
THE "TIGER MOTH" FIGHTER: The disc which was attached to the propeller for tests; the dispersion of the shots can be seen.
A piece in the March 22, 1968, edition of the Bucks Free Press, reporting the court case brought about by Joan Hughes flying Tiger Moth G-ANFM under a bridge on the M40 for the filming of Thunderbird 6 in May 1967. The report states that after a 2 1/2-day hearing, the jury took a mere 40min to reach a verdict of not guilty on all 13 counts of the indictment.