De Havilland D.H.6
Страна: Великобритания
Год: 1917


Двухместный учебно-тренировочный самолет
Описание:
Airco (de Havilland) D.H.6
Flight, August 1920
THE "ALULA" WING: A Suggested Application
Фотографии

Airco (de Havilland) D.H.6

Airco (de Havilland) D.H.6, разработанный в 1916 году как учебный самолет, представлял собой биплан обычной конструкции, хвостовое оперение имело полотняную обшивку на каркасе из стальных трубчатых рам с деревянными нервюрами. Шасси из-за частых поломок при неосторожном пилотировании было усилено и включало подкрыльевые костыли для защиты концевой части крыла при неудачной посадке. Благодаря расположению инструктора и ученика в общей кабине, они могли общаться между собой в полете.
  Испытания показали, что D.H.6 был весьма легок в управлении и настолько устойчив, что его устойчивость даже пришлось снижать, чтобы ученики были готовы к полетам на менее "дружественных" самолетах, на которые им предстояло пересесть позже. В начале 1917 года самолет запущен в серию и выпущен в количестве 2300 экземпляров. Они служили в Королевском воздушном корпусе и Королевских ВВС до тех пор, пока не были заменены на Avro Type 504K. В дополнение к самолетам, построенным фирмой-разработчиком, D.H.6 выпускал ряд субподрядчиков.
  Обозначение D. Н.6А неофициально было присвоено в конце 1918 года модификации с уменьшенной до 38,37 м2 площадью крыльев и двигателем Curtiss OX-5.

  С марта 1918 года машины D.H.6, принадлежавшие Королевскому воздушному корпусу, поступили на эксплуатацию в Авиационную службу ВМФ Великобритании и ВМС США, где использовались для противолодочного патрулирования. Американцы совершали на них полеты над побережьем Ирландии. Патрулирование осуществлялось с одним членом экипажа и бомбовой нагрузкой в 45 кг.
  Когда закончилась война, в Королевских ВВС оставалось свыше 1000 самолетов D.H.6. Многие из них были проданы гражданским покупателям по остаточной стоимости. Шесть десятков самолетов в 1921 году было построено по лицензии испанской фирмой "Hispano-Suiza SA". Они использовались в испанских ВВС в качестве учебных машин.


ТАКТИКО-ТЕХНИЧЕСКИЕ ХАРАКТЕРИСТИКИ

  Airco (de Havilland) D.H.6

  Тип: двухместный учебно-тренировочный самолет
  Силовая установка: рядный поршневой двигатель RAF1 мощностью 90 л. с. (67 кВ), некоторые машины оснащались рядным двигателем Renault мощностью 80 л. с. (60 кВт) или двигателем Curtiss OX-5 Vee мощностью 90 л. с. (67 кВт)
  Летные характеристики: (с двигателем RAF 1) максимальная скорость 113 км/ч на уровне моря; максимальная скороподъемность 69 м в мин на уровне моря; набор высоты 1980 м за 29 с; продолжительность полета 2 ч 45 мин
  Масса: пустого 662 кг; максимальная взлетная 919 кг
  Размеры: размах крыла 10,95 м; длина 8,32 м; высота 3,29 м; площадь крыла 40,53 м2
  Вооружение: до 45 кг бомб под нижним крылом при решении задач противолодочного патрулирования

Flight, August 1920

THE "ALULA" WING: A Suggested Application

  IN our issue of July 22 we published the wind tunnel data relating to the wing just introduced by the Commercial Aeroplane Wing Syndicate, Ltd., of 34-36, Gresham Street, London, E.C. 2. This wing, the "Alula" wing as it is called by its designers, is, it may be remembered, characterized by a very high, maximum lift, coupled with an excellent L/D ratio. The table of data referred to showed that the wing is not a high-speed wing, nor is it a very wide speed range wing. What, then, is its particular usefulness? The answer to this question is furnished by its designers, who point out that it is pre-eminently suitable for carrying heavy loads at moderate speeds. To show one way in which this can be accomplished, the designers have had prepared a design for a 4-ton aerial lorry, the calculations for which have been carried out by Mr Harris Booth of the Blackburn Technical Staff. There are of course, a number of different ways of utilizing the "Alula" wing, and if desired it can be used in the ordinary biplane arrangement. Mr. Booth has, however, after careful estimates come to the conclusion that the wing will give the best results in the form of a cantilever monoplane. During the full-scale tests carried out by the Blackburn Technical Staff at Brough it was discovered that the slip-stream had a marked effect on the behaviour of the wing, and consequently the wing of the experimental machine was raised until it was above the propeller disc, as shown in our photo. The machine made a number of test flights piloted by the Blackburn pilot, Capt. Clinch, during which quite a number of valuable data were obtained. For instance, it was found that ordinary ailerons were perfectly useless, but fortunately Capt. Clinch was able to obtain sufficient lateral control by using his rudder, and so managed to land safely. A new method of lateral control then had to be devised, and this took the form of two hinged flaps in the leading edge of the wing. It was found that when the flap of the rising wing was pulled slightly it "spilled" the air and at the same time increased the resistance on that wing, tending to swing the machine, so as to give the lower wing greater lift. This, it will be seen, can be accomplished without the use of the rudder, thus virtually getting around the Wright Patent, which covers the use of warp or flaps in conjunction with the rudder.
<...>
One of the two D.H.6 prototypes, with traditional de Havilland rudder.
FLYING IN "THE ISLAND": On Thursday of last week the Brompton Motor Company inaugurated joyriding in the Isle of Wight, where they will continue during the summer. The photograph on the left shows two of the machines on the sands between Ryde and Seaview, and on the right are seen, standing by the D.H. 6, Lieut.-Col. A. T. C. Veasey, and Capt. R. E. Dean, the latter one of the pilots of the firm.
A Giant Seaplane: The four-engined "Atalanta'' flying boat was designed by the Fairey Aviation Company and built by the English Electric Company. It is fitted with four Rolls-Royce "Condor" engines. A good idea of size is provided by the D.H.6 standing next to the "Atalanta."
The line-up for the cross-country race at Bournemouth on Easter Monday. From left to right the machines are Caudron G.3 (70 h.p. Renault), F.E.2b (160 h.p. Beardmore), De H.6 (80 h.p. Renault), Avro (110 h.p. Le Rhone), Avro (110 h.p. Le Rhone), Avro (110 h.p. Le Rhone). The course was a double-circuit from the Bournemouth Aerodrome, round Christchurch Priory, a distance of 20 miles.
THE "ALULA" WING: Our photo, shows an experimental machine, built by the Blackburn Co. and flown by their pilot, Capt. Clinch, for ascertaining full-size figures for the wing. The high position of the plane is used to get it out of the propeller slip stream