LAZAROV LAZ-7M. For the first time Air Pictorial publishes a silhouette of a Bulgarian aircraft - the Lazarov LAZ-7M two-seat primary trainer and glider tug, which is in extensive use with the national aero clubs. The prototype LAZ-7 of 1946 was the first post-war design to be built in Bulgaria, and owes its origin to a general specification issued by another Communist state, Yugoslavia. The LAZ-7 was matched against the Yugoslavian Aero 2, which was flown for the first time on 19th October 1946. Both the prototype LAZ-7 and the Aero 2S were powered by the Czech 160-h.p. Walter Minor 6-III air-cooled, six-cylinder, inverted inline engine, and in the eliminating trials the LAZ-7 competed successfully. The decision was then taken to build the LAZ-7 in series production at the Bulgarian State Aircraft Works, and to replace the Czech Walter inline with a Russian-designed M-11FR air-cooled, five-cylinder, radial engine driving a controllable-pitch, two-blade Visch V-501 airscrew - also of Russian origin. The production LAZ-7M, designed by Ing. Professor C. Lazarov, bears a marked resemblance to its Russian counterpart, the Yakovlev YaK-18. Two contributing design factors are the common use of the M-11FR radial in the characteristic "helmeted" cowling - although that of the LAZ-7M is of slightly larger diameter - and the adoption by Ing. Professor Lazarov of the YaK-18-type tandem-seat cockpit canopy. Otherwise the design is quite conventional. The fuselage construction is of welded steel tube and wood, and covered with fabric. Both the wing and tailplane are fully cantilever, of mixed wood and metal construction, and fabric covered. Both the main undercarriage and tailwheel are fixed.