Beardmore W.B.II
Страна: Великобритания
Год: 1917


Описание:
Flight, July 1920
The Olympia Aero Show 1920
Flight, August 1920
THE AIR MINISTRY COMPETITION AT MARTLESHAM
Фотографии

Flight, July 1920

The Olympia Aero Show 1920

The machines

Wm. Beardmore and Co., Ltd. (STAND 65); Parkhead, Glasgow

  IN addition to a 6-cyl. 160 h.p. Beardmore aero engine, a section of a passenger car as used on R. 36 type rigid commercial airship, models of R.34 rigid airship, H.M.S. "Argus" - the first "floating aerodrome" - the W.B. IX flying boat, parts of R.34, bombs, and several interesting photographs, two complete post-War aeroplanes are being shown by the Beardmore Co. One of these machines, the W.B.II, is a two-seater tractor biplane, similar in general design to the W.B.II fighting, reconnaissance and long-distance patrol machine used in the R.A.F. The fuselage is of the braced girder type, having four ash longerons and struts of spruce, braced with swaged steel rods, and faired to a circular cross-section. Special attention is given to the comfort of the pilot and passenger who are seated in tandem, behind the main planes, in roomy, well-finished cockpits. Ample provision is made for tools, luggage or mail.
  The main planes are of the usual braced type, having streamlined spruce struts, lightened where necessary, and all exposed bracing of streamlined wire. Provision is made for adjusting the angle of incidence of the tail plane during flight, from 0 degs. to +5 degs. The rudder is balanced, and the vertical fin is adjustable laterally to counteract slip stream torque, and so taking any load off the rudder bar. The control is of the usual type, the rudder bar being adjustable to five positions for length of leg. The landing chassis is of the V type, exceptionally strong, with articulated axle of special high-tensile steel tube in streamlined fairing. The tail skid is of ash with steel shoe and swivels for steering on the ground. Either a 160 h.p. or 200 h.p. Beardmore 6-cyl. engine is fitted. The engine is silenced, and a hand winding gear is provided in the pilot's cockpit for starting up.
  The second machine exhibited is the W.B.X, which has been designed to meet the requirements of the forthcoming Air Ministry Competition, in which safety, economy, and comfort are the chief qualities desired. As shown, this machine is fitted with wooden wings, but all-metal ones will be fitted for the competition. It may be used for long-distance, touring or general flying. The wings can be folded, thus greatly reducing housing space. The pilot is situated in the rear cockpit, and the passenger in an enclosed cabin in front, access to which is by means of a folding ladder. The cabin is very comfortably fitted up, and is provided with a folding table. Triplex windows, in detachable frames, are fitted, and the top of the cockpit may be opened or closed as desired.
  The fuselage is a circular section streamlined type braced structure of Duralumin, with longerons formed with airship type bracing. Struts and ties are of Duralumin, and tubular struts fitted with universal connections aid dismantling. Cowling round engine of Duralumin, but remainder of fuselage is covered with fabric supported by light Duralumin stringers. All Duralumin is treated and varnished to resist corrosion. The main planes are built up of spruce spars wound with glued tape and spruce ribs, steadied with stringers and diagonal tapes. Box and intermediate ribs are strengthened at the leading edge to resist torsion and down pressure; the trailing edge is of Duralumin tube. Interplane struts are of steel tube faired to streamline sections and bracing of streamlined wire. The planes are covered with doped and varnished fabric, and inspection windows and doors are fitted where necessary. The tail plane can be adjusted (0 degs. to +5 degs.) from the pilot's seat; it is built up like the main planes, and has swaged rod bracing. All control wires are inside the fuselage, and operate a shaft which in turn moves the elevator levers. The fin and rudder are built up on a steel framework with Duralumin ribs and stringers. The landing chassis and tail skid are similar to those described for the W.B. II, and the remarks on the power installation for the latter also apply to the W.B. X. The radiator, however, instead of being mounted in the nose, as with the W.B.II, is set in the top centre section. In both cases air control shutters, operated from the pilot's seat, are fitted.
  On both types the main petrol tank is in the fuselage with a small "service" tank concealed in the centre of the top plane. The fuel is raised by a wind-driven Austin glandless pump to the service tank, whence it flows by gravity to the carburettor, any surplus being returned by an overflow pipe to the main tank.
  During the exhibition a W.B. II will give demonstration flights, under the charge of Capt. C. E. Ward, at Cricklewood Aerodrome.


Wm. Beardmore and Co., Ltd.

  One of the machines which was to have been exhibited on the stand of this firm, the W.B. X, had not put in an appearance at the time of going to press, and we are informed that it will probably not be shown. The second machine, the W.B. II, is similar to the W.B. II fighting, reconnaissance and long-distance patrol machine used in the R.A.F. Its girder type body is carefully streamlined into a circular cross section. The narrow engine cowling which is possible with the Beardmore engine gives the pilot an exceptionally good view, and altogether the machine has a very neat, clean appearance. As the machine is practically a standard type, there were few unusual features to be found on it. One, which is shown in one of our sketches, is the unusual arrangement of the elevator cranks and control. The transverse tube which forms the pivot for the trimming tail plane carries on each side a crank from which tubes are taken to corresponding cranks on the elevator. In this manner the slackening and/or tightening up of the elevator cables when the tail plane is trimmed are avoided.

Flight, August 1920

THE AIR MINISTRY COMPETITION AT MARTLESHAM

Some Notes on the Machines Entered

The Beardmore W.B.10 200 h.p. Beardmore Engine

  Little information is available regarding the machine entered by Wm, Beardmore and Co., Ltd. It is, however, believed that this machine will be the W.B.10 which was to have been exhibited at Olympia, but which was not ready in time to be included in the firm's exhibits. The W.B.10 is a two-seater tractor biplane of orthodox design, and is chiefly remarkable for the fact that it is built of metal throughout. This refers to the Competition machine. The standard is fitted with wings of the usual composite construction. The power plant will be a Beardmore engine, but at the moment of writing it cannot be stated whether a 160 h.p. or a 200 h.p. engine will be fitted. We hope to be able to give a fuller description of this machine in a subsequent issue of this journal.
The Beardmore W.B.2 Commercial Biplane, with 160 h.p. Beardmore engine.
The Beardmore W.B.II at Olympia. A second machine, the W.B. X, unfortunately, failed to put in an appearance
THE BEARDMORE W.B.10: Our photograph shows the construction of the all-metal fuselage
THE BEARDMORE W.B.II: The sketch shows the unusual elevator crank lever arrangement and the tail skid
Beardmore Type W.B.II
Beardmore Type W.B.10