Flight, August 1925
THE LINCOLN STANDARD LIGHT 'PLANE
SOME little time ago the Lincoln Standard Aircraft Corporation of Lincoln, Neb., U.S.A. - a firm that has done a considerable amount of pioneer work In the development of commercial aircraft in America -
produced, under the supervision of Mr. S. Swanson, of Vermillion, S. Dakota (the Chief Engineer), a neat little machine of the advanced light 'plane class.
In general design this machine is very similar to the "Sport 'Plane," fitted with a 28 h.p. 2-cyl. Opposed Lawrence engine (air-cooled), constructed by Mr. Swanson in 1922 (described in FLIGHT for May 17, 1923) and the larger "Swanson-Freeman" two-seater model, 80 h.p. Le Rhone, built towards the end of 1923 (described in FLIGHT for February 28, 1924). The new machine, however, embodies several constructional modifications in detail, which, no doubt, result from past experience and general advance in aircraft practice.
While there is nothing out of the ordinary in the design of this machine, it nevertheless possesses several noteworthy features, and its performance is remarkably good. It is a single-seater, single-bay tractor biplane, fitted with a 3-cyl. radial air-cooled Anzani engine, of 30-35 h.p. Mr. Ray Page, President of the Lincoln Standard Corporation, has stated that he places little reliance on motor-cycle type engines, and he believes that this small job, neatly built-up around a new-type 3-cyl. 30-35 h.p. Anzani engine, gives a performance pleasing to those seeking a sturdy light 'plane where economy and dependable operation are the main requisites.
Both top and bottom planes, each 20 ft. in span, are built in continuous units from tip to tip, the main spars being spliced in the centre, at which point they are bent to a 4-degree dihedral. They are separated by a single I interplane strut, each side of the fuselage, while the centre of the top plane is supported above the fuselage by three pairs of inverted V-struts - a pair for each of the main spars, and the third pair forming a diagonal bracing between the other two.
Ailerons are fitted to the lower plane only, with the operating cables concealed in the lower part of the interplane I struts. The lower plane, it will be noticed, passes underneath the fuselage, to which it is attached at the centre of the main spars. The planes are easily removed and erected - in fact, the machine may be dismantled ready for crating or storage in less than 30 minutes, by the removal of only seven bolts. The entire tail unit is of welded steel tubing, and the various surfaces are of generous proportions. The wing section employed is the U.S.A. 27, and the top plane is given 1 1/2 degrees incidence - the lower plane having none.
The fuselage, which is, we believe, of the spruce-ash girder type as before, is of very fine streamline form, of ample proportions at the cockpit just aft of the rear-wing spars, and tapering sharply to a horizontal knife-edge - almost a point - at the rear. Except for the engine portion and the top deck over the cockpit, the fuselage is fabric-covered, numerous stringers maintaining the streamline form. The fabric used for the fuselage and other surfaces is grade A linen, given five coats of new nitrate dope and finished with Valspar.
A conventional V-type undercarriage, with rubber sprung axle, is fitted, attached direct to the fuselage, forward and entirely free of the lower plane.
The principal characteristics of the new Lincoln-Swanson light 'plane are :-
Span 20 ft.
Chord 2 ft. 10 ins.
Gap 3 ft. 4 ins.
Stagger 1 ft. 3 ins.
O.A. length 16 ft.
O.A. height 5 ft. 7 ins.
Area of main planes 108 sq. ft.
Area of ailerons 12 sq. ft.
Area of tail plane 7 1/2 sq.ft.
Area of elevators 5 1/2 sq. ft.
Area of fin 3 sq. ft.
Area of rudder 3 sq. ft.
Weight of machine, empty 370 lbs.
Weight, fully loaded 600 lbs.
Weight, per sq. ft. 5 1/2 lbs.
Weight, per h.p. 17 lbs.
Speed range 35-90 m.p.h.
Cruising speed 75 m.p.h.
Climb to 800 ft. 1 min.