Flight, July 1926
THE GERMAN SEAPLANE COMPETITION
Many British Engines Used
No. 1, the L.F.G. V.59, is a low-wing monoplane (twin-float seaplane) with 230 h.p. B.M.W. type IV engine. This engine, by the way, is extensively used in
the competition, and it may be recalled that the type is famous for its very low fuel consumption. The machine, like Nos. 3 and 4, was designed and constructed by the Luftfahrzeug Gesellschaft of Stralsund, one of the oldest of German aircraft firms. The type V.59 machine is of all-metal construction, and may be said to resemble the Junkers machines in its lines, while the construction is more nearly akin to that of Dr. Claudius Dornier. The V.59 has a wing area of 52 sq. m. (560 sq. ft.) and weighs 1,430 kgs. (3,146 lbs.) empty, while the total loaded weight is 2,200 kg. (4,840 lbs.). It is credited with a top speed of 151 km./hr. (94-4 m.p.h.).
No. 3, the L.F.G. V.61, is similar in every way to No. 1, but is of interest to British readers on account of the fact that it is fitted with a Bristol "Jupiter" engine. This naturally alters both the item weights and the performance. Unfortunately figures relating to weight are not available at the moment, but the estimated top speed is 185 km./hr. (115-6 m.p.h.).
At Warnemunde: No. 3, the L.F.G. V.61, with Bristol "Jupiter" engine, being weighed. This machine is of all-metal construction.
Two L.F.G. machines at Warnemunde: On the left the nose of V.61, with Bristol "Jupiter" engine. On the right, No. 2, the V.60 biplane, which has a 240 h.p. B.M W. IV engine.