Flight, April 1935
NEW RUMANIAN COMMERCIAL MONOPLANE
Six Passengers Carried at 155 m.p.h.: 360 h.p. Siddeley "Serval" Engine
A VERY sturdy, high-wing cantilever monoplane has recently been built by Intreprindere pentru Constructii Aeronautice Romane, of
Bucarest, and has successfully completed its flight trials. The machine is of mixed construction, the cantilever wing embodying a single spar and being built in one piece. The ribs are of Rumanian spruce and the whole wing is covered with plywood. Flaps are fitted inboard of the ailerons, which have differential control.
Welded steel chrome molybdenum tubing is used for the fuselage and engine mounting, the fuselage, in the main, being covered with fabric. An adjustable tail plane is fitted, and the trailing edge of the rudder embodies a small "tab" for trimming purposes.
Dual control is provided in the pilots' cockpit, which is placed beneath the leading edge of the wing and is totally enclosed. The cabin contains six armchairs and an individual ventilator is provided near each seat. There is a roomy baggage compartment.
A geared Armstrong Siddeley "Serval" ten-cylinder two-bank radial engine, giving a maximum output of 360 h.p. at 2,200 r.p.m. and driving a three-bladed wooden airscrew, is mounted in the nose of the fuselage, and is fitted with an N.A.C.A. cowling. Four petrol tanks are placed in pairs within the wings close to the fuselage and centre of gravity.
A maximum speed of 155 m.p.h. (250 km./hr.) is claimed, the cruising speed being 130 m.p.h. (210 km. /hr.). The ceiling is 16,400ft. (5000 m.) and the climb to 9,840 ft. (3 000 m.) occupies 16 minutes. Empty, the machine weighs 2,910 lb (1 320 kg.), the gross weight being 4,960 lb. (2250 kg.).