Weiss built a series of powered monoplanes, which were named after his daughters. Madge, seen here with Weiss employee Gerald Leake at the controls at Fambridge in 1909, was powered by an Anzani 12 h.p. three-cylinder fan-type radial engine connected via a chain-drive to a pair of pusher propellers.
One of Weiss’s monoplane designs on its rail-and-derrick launcher at Fambridge in 1909. By March 1910 Pemberton Billing’s “aero-colony” at Fambridge had been abandoned owing to a lack of smooth ground and too many drainage ditches, some of which were up to 6ft (1-8m) deep and 12ft (3-6m) broad.