Jane's Encyclopedia of Aviation
Cierva W.9 (UK)
Two-seat experimental helicopter first flown in 1947. Special design features included jet thrust used for torque compensation instead of a conventional tail rotor.
The Cierva W.9 as tested by Alan Marsh, who was CO of No 529 Sqn, RAF, flying Cierva C.30As and Avro Rotas at Henley-on-Thames until its disbandment in October 1945.
The Cierva W.9 at Thames Ditton in 1944. The members of the development and construction team posing in front of the protoype are not identified, but presumably include C G Pullin, J S Shapiro, Ken Watson and perhaps Ray Pullin.
The Cierva W.9 Experimental Helicopter (200 h.p. D.H. Gipsy-Six Series III engine).