Junkers 52/3m freighter G-AERX at Croydon
THE SINCEREST FORM OF FLATTERY: Remembering the success with which D.L.H. have operated their regular night mail service between Berlin and Croydon, it is not surprising that British Airways have acquired two Junkers Ju. 52 machines for their Continental night mail. These were originally ordered by A. B. Aerotransport and have P. and W. Wasp engines with Hamilton v.p. airscrews - in place of the more normal B.M.W. Hornets. The first British Ju. 52 is seen here taxying out at Gatwick for its initial test flight with Mr. Campbell-Orde, the company's operational manager, on board.
The Ju 52/3m was no stranger to operations in the UK, three examples - G-AERU, G-AERX and G-AFAP - having been operated by British Airways before the Second World War. This example, G-AERU, was named Juno; its sister aircraft, G-AERX, was named Jupiter, which would become the type’s class name in BEA service.
Lockheed 10A G-AEPN was commissioned in April 1937. During the summer season Electras made six return flights a day each on the Croydon - Le Bourget run.
Another of British Airways' Electras, G-AEPR, about to depart Croydon on the high-frequency, 90-minute Paris service in July 1937.
Lockheed 10A Electra G-AEPP and a sister ship being erected at Eastleigh after shipment from Burbank, USA.
Lockheed 10As G-AEPN and G-AFEB awaiting passengers at Croydon at 3.23 p.m. on April 24, 1938.
Lockheed 14 G-AFGN, the actual aircraft used by Neville Chamberlain for the Hitler appeasement flights to Munich and Godesburg.
Another view of G-AFGN. This aircraft caught fire in mid-air and made a casualty-free crash landing in France in August 1939.
G-AFMO was badly damaged when it overshot while landing at Heston in January 1940.
FOKKER F.VIII. An unusual addition to the pre-war British civil register was the Dutch Fokker F.VIII. Two examples were purchased from K.L.M. by British Airways Ltd. (PH-AEF and 'AEI, formerly H-NAEF and 'NAEl), and delivered in November 1936. At that time there was a dearth of British air transports which accounted for the purchase of these two eight-year-old twelve-passenger (two-crew) air liners powered by two 525-h.p. Pratt and Whitney Wasp radials. The F.VIII was also built in Hungary by Manfred Weiss (also the Fokker C.V-E reconnaissance biplane). One example sent to Hungary was H-MFNA (later HA-FNA) for use by Magyar Legiforgalmi r/t. At one time K.L.M. used four F.VIIIs, PH-AED, 'EF, 'EH and 'El. G-AEPT (formerly PH-AEF) illustrated was photographed at Hamble in 1936, with a Saro Cutty Sark of A.S.T. in the background. Upper wing surface devices are magnesium flares for night landings! Cruising speed, 115 m.p.h.; range, 605 miles. Span, 75 ft. 5 1/2 in .; length, 54 ft. 11 1/2 in.; height, 14 ft. 7 in.
Fokker F.VIII G-AEPT, powered by two 500 h.p. Pratt & Whitney Wasp T1D1 engines, carried twelve passengers and two crew.
Fokker XII G-ADZJ, acquired from Crilly Airways.
Fokker F.XIl G-AEOS fitted with three 500 h.p. Pratt & Whitney Wasp T1D1 engines.