Aviation Historian 25
-
E.Wild - The Melon Run
Heron c/n 14127 was delivered to the Royal Jordanian Air Force as H-106 in January 1959, and was flown by the author from Amman to Luton on August 28, 1965, registered G-APPD.
The Doves and Herons undergo inspection at Amman before the ferry flight. The Doves became G-ATGI, ’TGJ, ’TGK and ’TGL.
Resplendent in its McAlpine Aviation colours, G-ATGJ (c/n 04113), formerly D-101, is seen here at Luton in 1970, following its conversion to Riley configuration with Lycoming engines. It later went to Australia as VH-ABK. The two ex-RJAF Herons, H-105 and H-106, became N782R and G-APPD respectively, although only the former was converted to Lycoming power.
With the handiwork of the author and his colleagues clearly visible in the hastily-applied registration on the rear fuselage, Dove G-ATGI (c/n 04097) is seen here at Luton in October 1965, shortly after its ferry flight from Jordan. Serialled D-100 in RJAF service, this aircraft was stored until late 1969, when it underwent Riley conversion .
Like all four of the RJAF’s Doves, c/n 04289 originally served with Jordan National Airlines before being transferred to the air force in the mid-1950s, when it adopted the serial D-103. Given the British registration G-ATGL for its return to the UK, this aircraft remained in Amman while the other three Doves and two Herons were ferried back to Luton, the author ferrying 'TGL back the following month.
The prototype Riley Turbo Executive 400, N1472V (c/n 04302) alongside the first three Doves to be converted by McAlpine - G-ASUX (No 3), SUV (No 2) and SUW (No 1) - at the company’s Luton HQ in 1965.
The Doves and Herons undergo inspection at Amman before the ferry flight. The Doves became G-ATGI, ’TGJ, ’TGK and ’TGL.