Aeroplane Monthly 1978-05
-
A.Jackson - Avro 504K /RAF Piston Trainers/ (1)
The “blip ping” of the rotary engine and the tell-tale whiff of burned castor oil can be experienced all over again when the Shuttleworth Trust flies E3404 at Old Warden.
504K E3269 equipped with interconnected Handley Page slots and Frise ailerons for low speed trials at Farnborough in 1925.
Avro 504B, serial 9826, showing the dorsal fin, modified rudder and cutaway cockpit.
Production 504Ks outside A. V. Roe's Hamble works in 1917. Total wartime production of the type exceeded that of all other British aircraft.
War surplus 504Ks and Martinsyde F.4s stacked in the Aircraft Disposal Company works at Croydon in 1920. E449, now in the RAF Museum, is visible as the 5th complete serial from the right Airdisco, as it was known, was a subsidiary of Handley Page Ltd.
Between-the-wars line-up of Avro 504K trainers in peacetime colours at CFS, Upavon, in 1924.
First of the Sunbeam-built Dyak 100 h.p. engine conversions at Wolverhampton in 1919.
F8940 as modified for low speed control tests at the RAE, Farnborough, in 1922.
789, one of a batch of 44 Avro 504s (80 h.p. Gnome), photographed at Farnborough on July 30, 1915.
Avro 504J B3168 at CFS Upavon in 1917. The 504J was fully aerobatic, light and positive on the controls and showed up faults in a pupil's flying. HRH Prince Albert, later King George VI, learned to fly on a 504J at Croydon in 1919. The first 504Js went to the School of Special Flying at Gosport.
F. P. Raynham with the prototype Avro 504 in its original form, with square cut engine cowlings and warping “ailerons”, at Hendon for the Aerial Derby, September 20, 1913.
Avro 504J C4430, a converted machine with rudder marked “Avro 504A”, after an accident at Ayr Racecourse in 1917.
A Scottish Aircraft Co-built Avro 504K, HR244, somewhere in Egypt in the 1920s.
Avro 504K of D Flight, No 4 F.T.S. Abu Sueir Egypt.
War surplus 504Ks and Martinsyde F.4s stacked in the Aircraft Disposal Company works at Croydon in 1920. E449, now in the RAF Museum, is visible as the 5th complete serial from the right Airdisco, as it was known, was a subsidiary of Handley Page Ltd.
The Avro Type E prototype with 60 h.p. E.N.V. engine at Brooklands in March 1912.
It does not require a great deal of imagination to trace in the photograph the beginnings of the famous Avro 504. This biplane, with a Green engine, was produced in 1912, and was flown a lot by Mr. Raynham.
В эксплуатации петлеобразные дополнительные опоры шасси под нижним крылом иногда заменяли стойками с бамбуковыми лыжами.
Running up the 50 h.p. Gnome rotary of an Avro 500 at CFS, Upavon, in 1912.