A de Havilland D.H.9A of 47 Squadron, RAF, over the Nile in the 1920s. A rebuilt airframe serialled JR7107 this machine is carrying apparatus for experimental parachute research in the canister on its lower starboard wing. Flying the machine when the picture was taken was parachute specialist Fg Off C. K. Coggle.
The RAF’s first long-distance formation flight, and the first to South Africa, was made by these four Fairey IIIDs, serialled (front to rear) S1103 (c/n F841), S1102 (F840), S1105 (F843), and S1104 (F842). Formed as the Cape Flight at Northolt in November 1925, the aircraft completed a successful Cairo-Cape-Cairo-England trip between March 1 and June 21, 1926, led by Wg Cdr C. W. H. Pulford, OBE, AFC. Flying as landplanes for the 11,000 mile Cairo-Cape-Cairo trip, and as seaplanes for the return flight to Lee-on-Solent, the four aircraft suffered only minor troubles, and their original Napier Lion VA engines were used throughout the journey.
Boulton Paul Sidestrand J9173 of "A" Flight 101 Squadron, based at RAF Andover in 1930. The pilot was Sgt Middleton, and the rear gunner is our contributor, “ACI Johnson, J.” The only unit to be equipped with Sidestrands, 101 was for many years the RAF’s only twin-engined day bomber squadron.
Vickers Vincent general-purpose aircraft K4118 is seen here during a Far East tour from Shaiba, Iraq, to Singapore with No 84 Squadron about 1937. Prominent in this view is the auxiliary fuel tank slung between the undercarriage legs, which gave the aircraft a range of 1,250 miles. This machine was struck off charge on March 17, 1939.
Westland Wapitis J9633, J9631 and J9595 of "C" Flight, 55 Squadron, RAF, based at Hinaidi, Iraq, over the river Tigris in 1930/31 during Middle East peacekeeping operations. The squadron began to receive Wapitis in February 1930, and used them until 1936.
Westland Wapiti J9726 of No 60 (Army Cooperation) Squadron, after turning turtle on the Northwest Frontier, India, in 1933. Based at Kohat, this unit served in India from April 1, 1920, when it was formed from No 97 Squadron at Lahore, until the outbreak of World War Two.
An unusual photograph depicting Hawker Demon I K2842 with No 4 Flying Training School at Abu Suier, Egypt, in February 1934. Normally a two-seat fighter with a Lewis on a gun ring in the rear cockpit, this example has had that position faired over, making it a single-seater.