The prototype of the Fokker F.VIIa, registered H-NACZ, was transferred to the US in 1925, where it apparently flew unregistered, but with its manufacturer’s name prominently displayed.
F.VIIa ‘Old Glory’ left New York on September 6, 1927 for a nonstop flight to Rome in Italy, but the aircraft never arrived there. The wreckage was later found in the Atlantic Ocean, with no trace of its crew, Lloyd Bertrand and James Hill.
By far the most famous three-engined F. VIIa was this ‘Southern Cross’, used by Sir Charles Kingsford Smith for his flight across the Pacific from San Francisco to Brisbane. In the years that followed Kingsford Smith flew it around the world.
A twin-engined bomber version of the F.VIIa - there was only ever one XLB-2 built.
Fokker F.VIIa, ‘Wilbur’, used by the Pennsylvania Rapid Transport Co on its airmail contract routes.
Pan American was the first US airline to use the Fokker F.VIIb. NC3314, later went to Mexico as X-ABCL and from 1932 onwards it was registered in the Netherlands as PH-APA, later PH-TOL.
F. VIIa ‘Alaskan’ with a ski undercarriage used for the Detroit News Arctic Expedition by Hubert Wilkins.
A busy scene in and around the Fokker hangar at Teterboro Airport. An F-32 dominates the scene with, in the foreground, a Super Universal and in the background an F.VIIb.
The USAAC ordered a number of F.VIIb aircraft as the C-2A. 28-124 illustrated.
With F.VIIb ‘Friendship’ on floats, Amelia Earhart became the first woman to cross the Atlantic, although this time only as a passenger.
After having been converted into a three-engined aircraft and having ‘stolen the show’ in the Ford Reliability Tour the second F.VIIa was sold to Admiral Byrd for his flight to the North Pole.
One of the three RA-2s supplied to the US Navy. After having been equipped with the more powerful Wright J.6-9 engines the designation was changed into RA-3.
One of the five CO-4As supplied to the USAAC. A striking difference is the modified engine cowling.
Canadian Universal G-CAHE with a Fokker C.II taxiplane, a converted C.I.
A special ceremony at a Japanese airfield with, in the background, a Japanese Super Universal.
A Fokker Universal of Edward Hubbard, Fokker’s agent on the US West Coast.
The Fokker D.XI, with 300 h.p. Hispano-Suiza: This machine is a single-seater fighter, with a very small lower plane.
Fokker's D.XI fighter was based on the successful D.VII concept. Three D.XIs were supplied to the USAAC as the PW.7, the prototype is illustrated.
USAAC version of the Fokker F-14 was the Y1C-14, later just C-14.
One of the military C-14s was equipped as an ambulance aircraft and thus deserved a separate identification. It became the Y1C-15, later C-15.
Two pairs of engines in tandem and wheel spats over the fixed undercarriage characterised the Fokker F-32, once the largest aircraft in the world, albeit for a very short time.
The twin-engined B-8 bomber owed much to the F.VIIb but its powerplants were Curtiss Conquerors.
Fokker F-10 of the Richfield Oil Company shortly after take-off.
Six F-10s were delivered to the US Army Air Corps as the C-7A.
The Model 15 flying-boats for the US Coast Guard were built by General Aviation and therefore no longer called Fokkers. The type was derived from the F-11 amphibian and five were supplied to the USCG.
The S.I was a simple training aircraft, powered by a Curtiss OX.5 engine. It featured side-by-side seating for an instructor and pupil. The sole aircraft built went to the USAAC as TW.4.
The Fokker F.VI, alias PW.5, was a fighter aircraft but in order to avoid complications with regard to a USAAC order from the manufacturer who used to work for the enemy, the aircraft was given a type number in the F (for transport) section.
The Fokker F-11 amphibian did not become the great success Fokker had hoped for. Only six were built.
Fokker’s XA-7 was a two-seat low-level attack aircraft developed for the US Army Air Corps. Only a prototype was built.
A strange aircraft but still a Fokker. This H-51 was developed in cooperation with the Hall Aluminium Aircraft Corporation. It was an all-metal three-seater and the sole aircraft built first flew on May 5, 1929. Apparently it was only an experimental aircraft to gain some experience in all-metal construction.