Grumman F7F Tigercats were used by the U.S. Marine Corps from land bases during the latter stages of the World War II Pacific campaign. In all 364 were built with sub-types F7F-1 to '-4. Illustrated is a U.S.N. radar "droop snoot" F7F-3N (night fighter) illustrating for the first time that the T-cat could mount a 22- in. torpedo. Max. speed. 425 m.p.h. on two 2.100-h .p. P. & W. R-2S00-22 radials. Span. 51 ft . 6 in .; length. 45 ft . 5 in.; a .u.w. 21.650 lb.
The Polish three-seat RWD-13 first appeared about 1937 as a cabin tourer of mixed wood and metal construction with fabric covering. The Germans used RWD-13s as air ambulances in World War II. After the war, two RWD-13s, VQ-PAL and 'PAM (and a suspected third. VQ-PAF) found their way to Palestine and served with Aviron Ltd. and were used for charter and joy-riding. The original Czech 130-h.p. Waiter Major 4-1 inline was replaced by a 130-h .p. D.H. Gipsy Major. RWD stands for the names of the three designers, Rogalski, Wigura and Drzewiecki. VQ-PAL, illustrated, was taken at Ramlah in Palestine, 1945.
Difficult to photograph on most occasions because "268" is normally in the Ford Museum, Detroit, this only remaining example of the famous Ford Flivver was given an airing at the 1953 Detroit air show at Wayne Major Airport. Two were built, the other crashed into the sea and killed the pilot. Note the exceptionally large tail wheel.
This, J7498, was the first of three Handley Page H.P.28 (Type C.7) Handcross day bombers built in December 1924 to Air Ministry Spec. 26/23. Later, carrier landing trials were conducted with this massive 60-ft. span, 3-bay biplane . Carrying a crew of two, the Handcross was powered by a 650-h .p. Rolls-Royce Condor Mk. III water-cooled engine which gave a maximum speed of 117 m.p.h. for an a.u.w. of 7.480 lb. Time to 6.000 ft. was 7 min. Length. 40 ft.; height. 13 ft. 6 in .
The Single-seat Short Monoplane was designed and built at Eastchurch in 1911, where the famous balloon-manufacturing brothers Short set up the world's first production line of aircraft. The likeness of the 1911 Short Monoplane to the earlier Bleriot types is obvious, but the brothers Short stressed their first monoplane to withstand hard use. The undercarriage was especially rugged . Commander C. R. Samson. R.N. undertook the first flights in February 1912. Powered by a 50-h.p. Gnome seven-cylinder rotary driving a two-blade Chauviere wooden airscrew. the monoplane had a maximum speed of 60-65 m.p.h . Span. 29 ft . 3 in .; length . 25 ft .