The photograph, taken at Aspern, Austria in 1934, shows the huge Russian Tupolev T.B.3 (ANT-6) URSS 2237 during a visit. This five/six seat heavy bomber was initially powered by four 680 h.p. M-17 BMW VI engines and could carry a 2,200lb bomb load. The T.B.3 had a range of 620 miles and a maximum speed of 124 m.p.h. Four machine gun positions gave protective armament. Later models were fitted with two 830 h.p. M-34 engines.
Photograph depicts the Cierva C.30A Autogiro OE-TAX. A total of 66 Cierva C.30As, licence-built by A. V. Roe and Company Ltd at Newton Heath, Manchester from 1934, were distributed through the Cierva base at Hanworth. C.30As were powered by a 140 h.p. Armstrong Siddeley Genet Major IA which gave a maximum speed of 110 m.p.h. OE-TAX went into service with the Austrian Air Force and the service number 63 is discernible on the rudder.
This Lithuanian Anbo IV trainer was photographed at Croydon in July 1934 and was one of three of these military general-purpose aircraft to visit Britain. The Anbo IV was powered by a Bristol Pegasus L2 engine and its maximum level speed at sea level was 171 m.p.h.
Three D.H.60GIII Moth Majors are featured in the photograph. Moths OE-TUE, OE-TAT and OE-TOE were acquired by the Austrian Aero Club in 1936 for training military pilots, note the military serial numbers on the rudders. Licence-built Udet U-12b trainers are visible in the background.
This D.H.84A Dragon Mk 2, OE-FKD, was used for clandestine air force service.
The photograph of the H.P.42 G-AAXD, was taken at Wiener Neustadt. Horatius was a H.P.42W or Western model, identical externally to the 42E, Eastern model, but able to carry 38 passengers though luggage space was reduced by half. G-AAXD flew with Imperial Airways for eight years until wrecked in a forced landing at Tiverton, Devon in November 1939.