Aeroplane Monthly 1987-01
-
E.Morgan, E.Shacklady - The basketweave bomber (6)
A Wellington 1A takes off from RAF Bassingbourn in November 1940.
Wellington T.10 of 1 Air Navigation School, South Cerney, photographed on September 18, 1948.
Wellington T Mk 10 RP468 was fitted with a tailboom radar device and became G-ALUH in July 1949.
Wellington Mk X DF609, seen at Wisley in August 1916, was fitted with a modified rudder balance.
Wellington X X3595 of 75 Squadron photographed in May 1942. The aircraft was struck off RAF charge in December 1948.
The Vickers Wellington Mk X was the ultimate bomber variant of the type, built at Vickers’ Chester and Blackpool factories. The Mk X entered RAF service in 1943, by which time the type’s career as a frontline bomber was drawing to a close, Bomber Command’s four-engined heavies having taken over the primary bombing role.
Wellington Mk XVII NC869 of 51 OTU photographed in April 1945.
Wellington T.10 PG314 of 201 Advanced Flying School, 1950.
This hybrid Wellington, Z8670, was fitted with Merlin 62 engines and was used as a test bed for the early Whittle jet engines. The Whittle W.2B, codenamed Squirter, was mounted in the tail of the fuselage.
The “Loch Ness” Wellington, N2980, emerging from its watery resting place in 1985.
221 Sqn Wellington VIII in original camouflage scheme, photographed in July 1941. Note the ASV aerials along the top of the fuselage, under the wings and beneath the nose. The engines are Pegasus XVIII radials.
Wellington GR.XIV with Leigh light, HS and under-wing RPs. This photograph of MP714 was taken in September 1943.
A Wellington Mk VIII with Pegasus XVIII engines. July 1941.
Two views of aerial installations on the Mks VIII and XIII.
Wellington GR.XIII JA144 in revised paint scheme with grey top and white sides and undersides.
A number of Wellingtons served as torpedo bombers. Dropped at a height of 70ft and a speed of 120kt at about 600yd from the target, the 18in Mk VIII torpedo was very effective in combination with ASV and the Leigh light.