BuAer 48236 was the second of the two prototypes of the McDonnell XFD-1, apparently identical in all external respects to the first prototype.
After several years of service for jet indoctrination of Navy Reserve pilots - this one at Colombus - the FH-1 Phantom was retired in July 1954.
A decade after retirement, two Phantoms were restored to airworthiness for use at a civilian jet school, but were little used.
BuAer 111749, the first production FD-1.
The first prototype, shown in the aerial view.
The Phantom makes its first carrier trials aboard USS Franklin D Roosevelt on 21 July 1946 - the first pure jet of US design and the first twin-jet in the world to operate from a carrier deck. Note the fixed rod ahead of the cockpit, to protect against an arrester wire coming over the lop of the aircraft.
FH-1 Phantom из 122-й истребительной эскадрильи КМП США, дислоцированной в Черри-Пойнт, Калифорния. Эскадрилья VMFA-122 получила свои Phantom в 1947 году и стала первой в морской пехоте США эскадрильей реактивных самолетов.
An FH-1 (as the Phantom had been redesignated in August 1947) in service with VMF-122, the Beaufort-based Marine Corps squadron.
A production model Phantom, still marked as an FD-1 in mid-1947, carrying the flush-fitting 295-US gal (1 117-l) belly drop tank.