Armstrong Whitworth Atlas
Выполнивший первый полет 10 мая 1925 года, Atlas стал первым самолетом британских ВВС, специально разработанным для поддержки сухопутных войск. Он строился довольно большой серией - всего британская авиация получила 446 машин (включая 175 учебно-тренировочных
Atlas Trainer, спроектированных по требованиям от 1931 года). Поначалу самолет проектировался в инициативном порядке, а его гражданский прототип переделали согласно требованиям военных, после чего машина получила военный серийный номер, как и два демонстрационных образца. Один из них демонстрировался на Парижском авиасалоне в декабре 1926 года, а затем совершил рекламное турне по Южной Америке.
По результатам сравнительных испытаний Atlas выиграл конкурс у Bristol Type 93 Boarhound, de Havilland DH.56 Hyena и Vickers Type 113 Vespa, хотя военные и потребовали внести в его конструкцию ряд изменений. Затем в 1927 году в Эндовере прошли эксплуатационные испытания, и в октябре первые серийные Atlas поступили на вооружение дислоцированной в Кэттерике (Йоркшир) 26-й эскадрильи. Поставки в заморские части начаты в начале 1930 года - первой стала находившаяся в Египте 208-я эскадрилья, где Atlas сменили истребители Bristol F.2B.
Помимо использования в интересах сухопутных войск аэропланы данного типа применялись в британских ВВС и как связные. Фотографическое училище в Фарнборо также использовало в своей работе эти самолеты. Вариант с двойным управлением являлся основным учебно-тренировочным самолетом британских авиационных училищ с 1931 года до принятия на вооружение в 1933 году учебных самолетов Hawker Hart Trainer. Четыре гражданских самолета с 1931 года эксплуатировались в авиационном училище фирмы "Armstrong Whitworth", пока школа не переехала из Уитли в Хэмбл, получив новое название - "Air Service Training Ltd".
Военный вариант Atlas пошел и на экспорт: Канада закупила 16 машин, Греция - 2, Китай -14, Япония - 1. Канада в декабре 1927 - октябре 1929 года получила шесть новых самолетов, а в ноябре 1934 года - 10 машин, снятых с вооружения британских ВВС, Один из канадских аппаратов переделали в учебно-тренировочный вариант, В Канаде последний Atlas списали в 1942 году. Один снятый с вооружения британских ВВС самолет был продан Египту. Всего же, включая поставки на экспорт, построили 478 самолетов Atlas.
С февраля 1932 года британские ВВС приступили к замене Atlas на самолеты Hawker Audax, а учебно-тренировочному Atlas замена в виде самолета Hart Trainer пришла в августе 1933 года.
Atlas Mk I: серийный вариант гражданского и военного назначения
Atlas Mk II: 14 самолетов для Китая имели фюзеляж новой конструкции и хвостовое оперение большей площади, так как самолет предназначался для использования в качестве истребителя и дневного бомбардировщика; самолеты имели ряд других отличий, включая двигатель Armstrong Siddeley Panther IIA мощностью 535 л.с; максимальная взлетная масса 2245 кг, максимальная скорость на уровне моря 245 км/ч; также построено три гражданских самолета Alias Mk II
Armstrong Whitworth Atlas Mk I
Тип: двухместный самолет поддержки сухопутных войск и учебно-тренировочный
Силовая установка: один звездообразный двигатель Armstrong Siddeley Jaguar IVC мощностью 400 л. с. (298 кВт)
Характеристики: максимальная скорость на уровне моря 229 км/ч; время набора высоты 1525 м - 5 мин 30 с; практический потолок 5120 м; продолжительность полета 3ч 15мин
Масса: пустого 1157 кг; максимальная взлетная 1823 кг
Размеры: размах крыла 12,06 м; длина 8,71 м; высота 3,20 м; площадь крыла 36,32 м'
Вооружение: один неподвижный стреляющий вперед 7,7-мм пулемет и один 7,7-мм пулемет на турели в задней кабине, до 218 кг бомб на внешней подвеске
Armstrong Whitworth Ajax
Прототип самолета Ajax, выполнивший первый полет в июле 1925 года, столь мало отличался от самолета Atlas, что совершенно непонятно, почему производитель присвоил ему новое наименование. Главным отличием Ajax от Atlas стала кольцевая пулеметная турель над кабиной стрелка-наблюдателя. Это, а также наличие хвостового горизонтального оперения консольного типа без подкосов и расчалок, ограничивающих сектор обстрела пулемета, указывает на основное назначение самолета - двухместный истребитель, вероятно, должен был дополнить одноместные истребители Siskin.
Помимо прототипа, было построено еще три самолета Ajax, причем два последних в варианте дневного бомбардировщика. Все четыре самолета были переданы британским ВВС. Ajax представлял собой биплан смешанной конструкции с неубираемым шасси, с фюзеляжем из стальных труб и полотняной обшивкой. Силовой набор крыльев - дерево, обшивка - полотно.
Armstrong Whitworth Ajax
Тип: двухместный многоцелевой самолет
Силовая установка: один звездообразный двигатель воздушного охлаждения Armstrong Siddeley Jaguar мощностью 385 л. с. (287 кВт)
Характеристики; макс, скорость на уровне моря 225 км/ч; время набора высоты 4570 м - 21 мин 30 с; практический потолок 6000 продолжительность полета 3 ч 15 мин
Масса: пустого 1016 кг; максимальная взлетная 1678 кг
Размеры: размах крыла 12.04 м; длина 8,61 м; площадь крыла 36,42 м'
Вооружение: один неподвижный стреляющий вперед пулемет калибра 7.7 мм и один 7.7-мм пулемет на турели для обороны задней полусферы
Flight, December 1926
The Paris Aero Show 1926
The aeroplane to be exhibited on the Armstrong-Whitworth stand is the "Ajax," a two-seater general-purpose aeroplane, fitted with the Armstrong-Siddeley "Jaguar" engine. This machine, which can be used either as a general purpose reconnaissance machine or as a two-seater fighter, may be said to be the two-seater development of the "Siskin" family with which our readers are already familiar. It is characterized by a very compact form and an excellent speed range, as well as by good controllability at all speeds. The normal load of the machine is 400 kgs., and fuel for a range of 800 kms. at cruising speed. This may be increased by 120 kgs. for special purposes. The top speed of the "Ajax" is 225 km./h. and the ceiling with normal load is 6,000 metres.
The engine normally fitted is the Armstrong-Siddeley "Jaguar" of 385 h.p. If a higher performance is required, or particularly a higher ceiling, the supercharged engine of the same type may be used. The "Jaguar" engine is entirely accessible. Inspection and running adjustments are easily made. A fireproof bulkhead is fitted behind the engine. Petrol and oil filters of ample size are provided in accessible positions. The petrol is fed from a gravity tank divided into two compartments, mounted inside the fuselage. Reference has already been made to the good controllability, which extends right down to, or beyond, the stalling angle, and the machine can be flown indefinitely without the use of controls, being very stable as well as manoeuvrable.
The undercarriage is of the type in which the shock of alighting is taken by an oil buffer so as to relieve the frame of undue stresses, and to prevent bouncing. The tail skid is controlled by the rudder bar, so that the machine can be steered with accuracy on the ground.
Specification of Armstrong-Whitworth "Ajax" :- Weight empty, 1,018 kgs.; fuel and oil, 262 kgs.; military load, 400 kgs.; total loaded weight, 1,680 kgs. Speed at ground level, 225 km./h.; speed at 3,000 m., 220 km./h.; slow speed, 95 km./h. Climb to 3,000 m. in 11 mins. Climb to 5,000 m. in 24 mins. Ceiling, 6,000 m. Endurance at a cruising speed of 200 km./h. 4 hours. Range 800 kms.
The sole representative of Great Britain at the Paris Aero Show, as far as aircraft is concerned, fell a victim to French methods of transport, having been sent in its packing case instead of by air. It might be asked why the machine was not flown over, as it might very easily have been. The reply to that is that, after leaving the Grand Palais, the "Ajax" is going farther afield, to a destination which seemed to be known to everyone at the show, but which is not to be made public in cold print. As a packing cast had to be made for the machine for its journey onwards from Paris, it was thought that it might as well go to Paris in its case, and thus preserve its finish untarnished. To all appearances there was ample time for it to reach the show before the opening day, but fate had decreed otherwise, and the "Ajax" made a somewhat belated appearance. Exactly how it arrived we were never able quite to discover. When visitors left the Grand Palais one evening the Armstrong-Whitworth stand was empty, and when the doors were opened the next morning the machine stood there looking as innocent as if it had been there the whole time. Probably Mr. Proctor and his assistants could throw some light on the subject if they chose, and certainly the task of getting the machine in overnight, getting it erected, and tidying up the stand must have meant hours of hard work under great difficulties. The main point is that the "Ajax" did arrive, and we are not at all certain that it did not get a great deal more attention by its late arrival than it might have done otherwise. At any rate for the first two or three days it received visits from a very large number of people, not only visitors to the show but also exhibitors, who were somewhat naturally keenly interested in the only example of British aircraft design and construction. That the machine created a very favourable impression cannot be doubted, and without being accused of bias in the matter we can say that the "Ajax" compared favourably with other machines in its class, its small size, compact lay-out, and generally clean appearance being such as to stand out in marked contrast to many other machines.
The Armstrong-Whitworth "Ajax" is very similar to the "Atlas" produced by Sir W. G. Armstrong-Whitworth Aircraft, Ltd., and which has recently been chosen as the British Army co-operation two-seater. The "Ajax" is, however, a general purpose machine, which may, if desired, be fitted with floats and used as a seaplane. As a matter of fact, on the Armstrong-Whitworth stand a pair of Short Duralumin floats for the machine were exhibited, and like the machine itself these attracted a good deal of attention, the more so as the French have not until comparatively recently had a great deal of experience in seaplane design. A drawing by Geoffrey Watson represented the "Ajax" as a twin-float seaplane.
One or two features of the "Ajax" are illustrated by sketches. The tail-trimming gear is very neat, its details being well shown in a sketch which is self-explanatory. Another interesting little "gadget" is the spring-loaded wire strainer in the anti-lift wires, the spring taking up any slack that may develop when the machine is flying, and thus preventing the vibration usually present in anti-lift wires. The sleeve covering the inter-plane strut attachments is another clever feature found on the "Ajax." When the split pin is withdrawn the sleeve can be slid along the strut, exposing the terminal fittings of the pinched tube attachment to the wing spar.
Compared with the undercarriages of some of the machines at the show, that of the "Ajax" is an extremely workmanlike affair, with its neat oleo shock-absorbing gear and sturdy common-sense fittings. It is noticeable that a much longer travel is provided than is found on the majority of foreign aeroplanes, and it may thus be assumed that the shock-absorbing qualities are correspondingly better.
Flight, July 1928
THE ARMSTRONG WHITWORTH "ATLAS"
One Armstrong-Siddeley "Jaguar" Engine
THE "Atlas," designed by Sir W. G. Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft, Ltd., of Whitley, Coventry, is a two-seater general purpose aeroplane. It is fitted with a "Jaguar" engine, which may be of various types according to the purpose for which the aircraft is intended. It is the standard Army co-operation aeroplane for the British Air Service, for which purpose it carries two machine guns, wireless, camera, message-picking-up gear, and small bombs. It can also be arranged as a light bombing aeroplane, for which purpose the total load carried is increased and extra petrol tanks can be fitted.
Fuselage. - This is made of high-tensile solid drawn tube braced with swaged wire, and built up with mechanical .joints without the use of welding. There is ample room for the pilot and gunner, and a prone position for bombing can be provided.
Wings. - Arranged as a biplane with the top plane larger in chord and span than the bottom plane. The construction is entirely in high-tensile strip steel and solid drawn tube and bracing wires, except the covering, which is of fabric. The interplane struts are streamline tubes. The ailerons are on the top plane only, and have horn balance.
Tail. - The tail plane and rudder are of similar steel construction to the wings. The elevators and rudder are both balanced.
Engine Installation. - The "Jaguar" engine is mounted on a pressed-steel bearer which can be detached with the engine by undoing four bolts. The magnetos and carburettor are accessible through large doors in the fuselage. The petrol supply is by gravity from a 75-gall. tank in the fuselage. Extra tanks can be carried on the wings to increase the range. The "Jaguar" engine may be supercharged or unsupercharged, and the airscrew may be geared or ungeared. The performances given are for a geared engine unsupercharged with normal petrol and 800 lbs. of military load. The petrol is enough for four hours' flying at a cruising speed of 120 miles an hour.
Undercarriage. - The oleo legs have a long travel. The first shock is taken by the displacement of oil and the suspension on the ground is by steel springs. The axle is of high-tensile steel with the wheels running on detachable sleeves.
Flight, June 1929
BRITISH AIRCRAFT AT OLYMPIA
SIR W.G.ARMSTRONG WHITWORTH AIRCRAFT, LTD.
THE exhibits of A. V. Roe and Co., Ltd., will, at Olympia, be staged on the same stand as those of Sir W. G. Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft, Ltd., the two firms being now combined. For the sake of alphabetical order, however, the two firms will be dealt with as if they were still entirely separate concerns.
Sir W. G. Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft, Ltd., will exhibit three complete aircraft: "The "Argosy" commercial triple-engined passenger machine, the "Atlas" Army Co-operation biplane, and the A.W. XIV single-seater fighter. All three machines, it is almost superfluous to state, are fitted with Armstrong-Siddeley "Jaguar" engines.
The second machine to be exhibited on the Armstrong Whitworth stand will be an "Atlas" Army Co-operation two-seater of the type in use by the British Royal Air Force. When used for this purpose the armament consists of two machine guns, camera, wireless, and gear for picking up messages. The "Atlas" may, however, also be used for light bombing, when it will carry, for instance, four bombs of 112 lbs. each. A similar aeroplane, but without armament, is used for advanced training instructions. Finally, the "Atlas" can be supplied with a float undercarriage for use as a seaplane, or with a ski chassis for use on snow and frozen water.
Constructionally the "Atlas" is an all-metal machine of normal Armstrong Whitworth construction, with steel tubular fuselage and all-steel wings. At Olympia the “Atlas" will be exhibited with a geared "Jaguar" engine provided with "Townend ring."
The main dimensions of the "Atlas" are :- Length o.a., 28 ft. 6 in.; wing span, 39 ft. 6 in.; wing chord (top), 6 ft. 7 in.; wing chord (bottom), 5 ft. 7 in.; wing area, 391 sq. ft.
With a petrol capacity of 75 gallons and an oil capacity of 7 gallons, the endurance is 3 1/4 hours when fitted with the geared "Jaguar." The gross weight is 4,115 lbs., and the military load 880 lbs.
The following performance figures for the "Atlas" landplane refer to the geared "Jaguar" fitted with "Townend ring," and to a gross weight of 4,115 lbs. :- Speed at ground level, 149 m.p.h.; at 5,000 ft., 145 m.p.h.; at 10,000 ft., 140 m.p.h.; at 15,000 ft., 131 m.p.h. Climb to 5,000 ft., 4-25 mins.; to 10,000 ft., 10-5 mins.; to 15,000 ft., 21-75 mins. The service ceiling is 17,700 ft., and the absolute ceiling is 19,100 ft.
Flight, October 1931
Two New Military Aircraft
THE Atlas II, as before, is meant to be used as a two-seater fighter, as a day-bomber or as an Army co-operation aircraft, having such duties as photography, wireless and the picking up of messages. Two-seater training of the advanced type is yet another of its uses, while when fitted with floats it makes an admirable seaplane. In this connection it will be remembered that an Atlas with stainless steel floats was used extensively as a tender to the High-Speed flight at Calshot during their training and during the actual race for the Schneider Trophy.
Among the chief improvements incorporated in the Atlas II are extra streamlining of strut ends, wing roots and undercarriage units, giving the whole aircraft a much cleaner appearance and consequently enhanced performance. The electrical generators, both the D.P. wireless supply one and the direct-current lighting and heating one, are engine-driven by means of flexible shafting and are housed in the fuselage, thus being out of the slipstream and causing no interference. The fairing panels outside these generators – they are on either side of the first fuselage bay - have small louvres in them to provide ventilation and cooling air.
The navigation lights have now been redesigned so that they are sunk into the wing-tips and the top of the rudder and do not project. The pilot's cockpit has been altered somewhat, thus enabling the pilot to get in and out very much more easily.
The control surfaces and their operation are now much more efficient, and the use of ball bearings throughout eliminates frictional losses. The ailerons are of a narrow chord, and are Frise balanced as well as being statically balanced, thus making them very light in operation. The top aileron has a movable portion built into the trailing edge in such a manner that this may be used as a fine adjustment for final balancing. A point to which particular attention has been paid is to ensure that all the controls are of the same weight of operation over a wide speed range.
The pilot's cockpit has been improved, and the general arrangement is such that all instruments and levers are in the most convenient position. The seat is made adjustable for height by the operation of a single lever at its side. A prone bombing position is provided for the after gunner with a camera mounting abaft it.
The undercarriage springing has also been improved greatly. This utilises oleo-cum-rubber compression legs of a new type, wherein the rubber is in the form of long cylinders sliding in metal casings. Wheel brakes can be fitted if desired, but owing to the low landing speed are not used as standard.
The power plant installation has been simplified, and the engine cowling can now be detached very readily. A Townend ring is fitted as standard and is mounted on flexible brackets, thus entirely overcoming any trouble there was in the past with the ring cracking owing to the vibration. The fuel feed is by gravity from all tanks. There is a main tank of 75 gall, in the first bay of the fuselage and another one of 20 gall, in one upper wing root. Another similar tank may be fitted in the opposite root if required. The engine fitted is the Panther, and may be geared and/or supercharged, giving 500/525 b.h.p.
The construction throughout is, of course, of the well-known Armstrong-Whitworth steel type. The wings follow standard practice, with built-up strip steel spars and ribs. The drag bracing is a combination of tie-rods and steel tubes. The wing roots have extra tube bracing, which is detachable, as it is here that the wing fuel tanks are fitted. A diagonal strut may be withdrawn to put the tank in place and then replaced up into a curved groove.
Handley Page slots are fitted to the top planes in a very neat manner with only two hinge points, both of which are well faired and offer a minimum of drag. The auxiliary surfaces are built up to the requisite section, and being fairly deep can withstand any tendency to torsional displacement.
The ailerons have steel tubular spars with ribs of drawn section strip steel. The trailing edge of the upper aileron has a movable flap on it, which, as already described, allows for fine balancing.
The rudder is of similar construction, with a plain steel tubular post and drawn ribs. The movable flap fitted to the top aileron is similarly used on the rudder.
The tailplane is a little unusual, and is to be distinguished for its exceptional rigidity. The spar is somewhat similar to that used in the main planes except that the web is shallower. This same spar section is used for the greater part of the drag bracing in the form of a warren girder between the spars, thus, by virtue of its depth, providing insurance against torsional displacement.
The elevators have spars of round section built up from strip steel. They have diagonal horn balances and are statically balanced by the inclusion of lead ballast in these horns.
The fuselage of the Atlas II follows standard Armstrong-Whitworth practice, with steel tube longerons, vertical ball-ended struts and tie-rod bracing.
In general lay-out it is obvious that a great deal of thought has been given to making this machine far cleaner than its predecessors, with far better performance as a result; being of steel it should be unaffected by climatic conditions and therefore suitable for use abroad.
Flight, November 1932
Whitley Aerodrome, near Coventry
The Atlas II
Capable of being used as a two-seater fighter, as a day bomber, or as an Army Co-operation aircraft, the "Atlas II" is a development of the "Atlas I," and is fitted with Armstrong-Siddeley Panther engine. It is, of course, a two-seater, and by giving the wings a considerable sweep back it has been possible to get both the occupants far enough back, especially in view of the cut-out trailing edge, to enable them to use their parachutes in case of emergency. Structurally the "Atlas II" resembles the A.W.XVI.
With a normal tankage of 95 gallons (432 litres) of petrol, the military load is 880 lb. (400 kg.).
When the "Atlas II" is fitted with supercharged Panther engine the gross weight is 4,625 lb. (2 100 kg.), and the following performances are attained :
Max. speed at 15,000 ft. 164-5 m.p.h.
Max. speed at 5 000 m. 202 km./h.
Time to 15,000 ft. 15-5 min.
Time to 5 000 m. 17 min.
Service ceiling 23,500 ft. (7 170 m.)
ARMSTRONG WHITWORTH "ATLAS" (Armstrong Siddeley "Jaguar"). THE all-steel Atlas is the best aircraft for land or sea reconnaissance. It is the standard Army Co-operation two-seater of the Royal Air Force.
FILLING THE PETROL TANK OF AN ATLAS.
ARMSTRONG-WHITWORTH "ATLAS": Army Co-operation 'plane with Armstrong Siddeley "Jaguar."
The Armstrong-Whitworth "Ajax," entered by Mr. J.D. Siddeley, is a two-seater biplane fitted with 395 h.p.Siddeley "Jaguar" engine. In the competition this machine will be piloted by Mr. Frank Courtney.
Ajax мало отличался от своего предшественника - самолета Atlas, поэтому довольно часто между ними возникала путаница.
The Armstrong-Whitworth "Ajax": A two-seater general purpose aeroplane with "Jaguar" engine. Can be fitted with float undercarriage.
Armstrong-Whitworth "Atlas" (Armstrong-Siddeley "Jaguar"). This is a new type of Army Co-operation machine, designed, as the type title indicates, for work with the Army. The type also took part in last year's display, but the actual machine to be seen this year is a modified version for general purpose work, equipped with petrol tanks on the wings so as to give extra range. Fitted with a supercharged "Jaguar" the "Atlas" maintains a good performance up to 10,000 ft. or so. Dimensions may not be given, but it will be seen that the machine is very small and compact for its work. Armstrong-Whitworth all-metal construction is used throughout.
Armstrong Whitworth "Atlas" (Armstrong Siddeley "Jaguar"). The Armstrong Whitworth "Atlas" might be described as a near relation of the famous "Siskin" family, to which it bears a strong resemblance, although it is a two-seater designed for Army co-operation work. It is one of the several types of this class of machine recently produced at the request of the Air Ministry, as the time must soon be approaching when the present machine in use - the Bristol Fighter - will have to be replaced by up-to-date equipment. A number of "Atlas" "Co-ops" have therefore been put into service with No. 13 Squadron, Andover.
Atlas AC 409 of the Royal Canadian Air Force. This aircraft served with No 22 (AC) Sqn at Trenton, Ontario and later at Rockcliffe. Two batches of Atlases were exported to the RCAF: a batch of six was supplied by Armstrong Whitworth between 1927 and 1929, and a batch of former RAF aircraft was sent out in 1934.
Atlas AC J9039 of 26 Sqn. A couple of Siskins are just visible behind it.
BRITISH AIRCRAFT TYPES WHICH ARE BEING FLOWN AT EL PALOMAR: 4, Armstrong-Whitworth "Atlas," with Armstrong-Siddeley "Jaguar" engine.
Fitted with a Mk I fuselage and Mk II wings, Atlas AC G-EBYF was used for Mk II development.
The second prototype Atlas II was originally marked A-3. It received the marks G-ABIV in October 1931, after flight testing had been completed. It was kept by the parent company and used for Tiger engine development work.
The second prototype Atlas II, G-ABIV, photographed after it was fitted with a new fin and rudder in an attempt to improve spin recovery. Powered by a supercharged Panther IIIA engine, the Atlas made its first flight in May 1931.
The same aircraft with Tiger engine and modified rear fuselage.
Atlas II G-ABIV in its fully developed form.
The third Atlas Mk II, G-ABKE, was completed in September 1931 and was delivered to 4 Sqn at Farnborough for service evaluation. It later passed to 16 Sqn at RAF Old Sarum for night-flying trials.
THE ATLAS II: Such points as the new rudder shape, the built-in tail lamp, the neat "slots," and general cleanliness make it immediately apparent as to where this efficient two-seater gets its performance.
A MILITARY REPRESENTATIVE AT HANWORTH: An Armstrong Whitworth "Atlas" Mark II (Panther engine). This machine has wings of CYH section, and seems to hang in the air remarkably well at low speed. Note the anti-drag engine cowling.
ARMSTRONG WHITWORTH "ATLAS II" ("Panther III").
Some of the Armstrong Whitworth machines: On the left the A.W.14, on the right the "Atlas," and behind them the "Siskin." Note that all are fitted with the "Townend ring."
The Armstrong Whitworth Atlas. Under it an Argosy wheel and a model of Argosy.
HOUSEHOLD BRIGADE FLYING CLUB "AT HOME": Some of the thirty-odd machines gathered at Brooklands last Friday. Three Service "Atlas" Co-Ops. from No. 13 Squadron, R.A.F.
THE R.A.F. DISPLAY FOR A SULTAN: On October 11 the R.A.F. gave a Display at Hendon in honour of the Sultan of Muscat. Our illustration shows No. 26 Squadron at "Message Picking Up ";
ON MEDIUM PATROL: A flight of No. 26 (Army - Co-operation) Squadron over the Yorkshire Moors.
Отличительная черта всех военных самолетов Atlas - крюк для приема донесений под фюзеляжем, стреляющий вперед неподвижный пулемет и турель Scarffe задней кабине.
A FLIGHT OF NO. 4 (ARMY. CO-OPERATION) SQUADRON. FLYING IN FORMATION
No. 2 (A.C.) Squadron. A flight practising formation flying with the air gunners ready for action.
OVER SALISBURY PLAIN: Armstrong-Whitworth "Atlases" of Cambridge University Air Squadron.
A FLIGHT OF NO. 4 (ARMY CO-OPERATION) SQUADRON. ATLAS AEROPLANES WITH JAGUAR ENGINES.
ECHELON ON THE RIGHT: Three A.W. "Atlas" machines with Armstrong-Siddeley "Jaguar" engines.
ROAD PATROL: No. 26 (A.C.) Squadron patrolling along the old Roman road.
A formation of Armstrong-Whitworth "Atlas" machines of O.U.A.S. flying along the coast of the Isle of Sheppey.
THE SHORES OF SHEPPEY: Three Armstrong-Whitworth "Atlases" of Oxford University Air Squadron out on the prowl.
OXFORD LOOKS DOWN ON CANTERBURY: The O.U.A.S. "Atlas" machines find a natural attraction in beautiful old cities and buildings.
"THAT'S THE STUFF TO GIVE THE TROOPS." NO. 13 (A.C.) SQUADRON DROPS SUPPLIES.
DROPPING SUPPLIES: Three Armstrong-Whitworth "Atlas" ("Jaguar") of No. 16 (Army Co-operation) Squadron.
A FORMATION OF AIRCRAFT TYPES USED FOR INSTRUCTION AT THE CENTRAL FLYING SCHOOL: From left to right, Gamecock, Atlas, Moth, III.F, Avro-Lynx, Siskin and Bulldog.
A MIXED GRILL: A formation of seven different types over Wittering, viz., "Gamecock," "Atlas," "Moth," "Fairey III F," "Avro-Lynx," "Siskin," and "Bulldog."
TRAINING TYPES: The machines from top to bottom are "Atlas," "Tutor," "Tiger Moth," "Tomtit" and "Siskin."
The staggering formation of aircraft was flown by instructors of Air Training Services Ltd in 1934. The aircraft are, from top to bottom: Avro Avian IVM, Avro Cadet, Avro Tutor, D.H.9J, Avro 626, Armstrong Whitworth Siskin III, Armstrong Whitworth Atlas, Saro Cutty Sark and an Avro Five.
An Atlas of No. 2 (A.C.) Squadron photographing a railway junction.
An Atlas AC of 208 Sqn on patrol in the Middle East. Based at Heliopolis, the squadron flew the Atlas from May 1930 until August 1935.
"WE WANT MORE BEER." THE "ATLAS" MACHINES WITH HOOKS DOWN TO PICK UP MESSAGES
EVENT 7. MESSAGE PICKING UP: Three Armstrong-Whitworth Atlas machines of No. 26 (Army Co-operation) Squadron coming in, with hooks down, to pick up their messages.
An Army Co-operation "Atlas" ("Jaguar") picking up a message. The "Atlas" is used by 208 (A-C) Squadron at Heliopolis, Egypt. In Great Britain the type used for this work is the "Audax" ("Kestrel")
AN ATLAS OF NO. 4 (A.-C.) SQUADRON PICKING UP A MESSAGE HUNG BETWEEN TWO STICKS
THE ARMSTRONG-WHITWORTH "ATLAS": Fitted with Armstrong-Siddeley "Jaguar" engine, this is now the standard Army Co-operation machine.
HELPING THE INFANTRY: View of an A.W. "Atlas" picking up messages which the infantry attach to a cord stretched between two posts.
Atlas AC J9956 of 2 Sqn demonstrating its message pick-up capabilities at RAF Mansion in November 1930.
An Atlas of No. 2 (A.C.) Squadron bombing a ground target.
Preparing for vertical photography. The camera is inserted under the wireless panel, seen on the ground.
TESTING WIRELESS SETS: Three different sets can be carried on the "Atlas" according to whether its duty is artillery observation, close reconnaissance, or medium reconnaissance.
Members of Oxford University Air Squadron studying a map.
WAITING THEIR TURN: Cambridge men in flying kit watch an instructor and pupil.
ARRIVAL OF VICE CHANCELLOR: Rev. F. J. Lys, M.A., being assisted out of his machine by his pilot, Wing. Com. Park, and the A.O.C. in C.
UNUSUAL MARKINGS: An Armstrong-Whitworth "Atlas II" ("Panther IIa") supplied to China. On the port top plane is the squadron marking. The national marking is carried on the starboard wing.
The arrival at Ingress Abbey of an "Atlas" aircraft with "Jaguar" engine, presented by the Air Ministry. These will be used for ground instruction only.
Atlas Trainer K2523 of 5 FTS seen at RAF Sealand. Part of a batch of 53 Trainers delivered to the RAF between September 1931 and July 1932, this Atlas became 723M in October 1935.
The Armstrong Whitworth Atlas Trainer was a two-seat dual-control trainer variant of the army co-operation Atlas. K1478 was probably delivered to the Royal Air Force College at Cranwell during the winter of 1930-31. Its flying career came to an abrupt end on October 22, 1935 when it spun in and was destroyed. The Atlas Trainer was issued to a number of training schools for advanced instruction and as a station communications aircraft. It differed in appearance from the standard Atlas by way of the modified rear cockpit, deletion of the Scarff gun-ring, the absence of the characteristic message hook and the forward-firing Vickers
The aircraft is an Armstrong Whitworth Atlas trainer, one of the fourteen Atlases (R.C.A.F. Nos. 402-415) known to have been supplied to Canada, and of which no less than thirteen were on R.C.A.F. strength on the first day of the last war, 3rd September 1939.
Part of a batch of 26 Atlas Trainers delivered to the RAF between April and June 1930, photographed at Whitley Abbey. In the background at left may be seen the S.E.5a G-EBIB.
Armstrong Whitworth Atlas trainer.
AST was formed by Armstrong Whitworth in 1931 with a large hangar built for the flying school on the north airfield (the former Avro factory and flying field being to the south). In this view of the crowded school hangar, the DH.83 Fox Moth G-ACCA helps to date the picture. This was registered in February 1933 but exported to Australia the following September, becoming VH-UTY. Other types in view are the staple of the school, with A W Atlas Trainer G-ABHW (registered April 1931, scrapped in 1938) in the left foreground. Behind the Fox Moth is Avro 621 Tutor G-ABIS which served with AST from March 1931 through to October 1941 as HM505 (by which time the school was designated 3 EFTS), becoming instructional airframe 3064M in April 1942. Behind the Atlas is Avro 631 Cadet G-ABYC which is another interloper, not having served with AST. This machine is the longest survivor of those identifiable in the photo, being broken up at Barton, Manchester in mid-1951.
AN AMPLE INTERIOR: Air Service Training at Hamble like plenty of room for their machines, and they get it in this B. &. P. hangar, which is 300 ft. long and 70 ft. wide.
A view out of the hangar at Hamble, showing the "Avians," "Cadets," "Atlases" and "Siskins" used by A.S.T.
APPOSITE: Christmas greetings from Air Service Training Ltd. at Hamble. The message is formed by white-overalled humanity "on the hands down," and the "A.S.T." consists of the ten different aircraft types which form the organisation's fleet: Avro V, 626, Avian, Tutors and Cadets; two-seater Siskin; A.W. Atlas; two Cutty Sarks; and D.H. Leopard Moth and Hornet Moth.
Half a dozen Atlas Trainers under construction at Whitley Abbey. The Atlas remained in production until 1933. Of the 446 total built, 175 were Trainers. Entering RAF service in October 1927, with No 26 Squadron, the type was eventually supplanted by the Hawker Hart and Audax.
BUS OF ALL JOBS: An Armstrong-Whitworth "Atlas" ("Jaguar") seaplane used by the High-speed Flight at Calshot.
Two views showing a left-hand lower wing of an Atlas (above), and an aileron, both being good examples of the Armstrong-Whitworth steel construction.
The cockpit of the Tiger-engined Atlas test machine, G-ABIV. Most of the labelling relates to the test engine.
The gunner’s cockpit in the Atlas I, with the pilot’s cockpit forward.
Two views of the balanced gun turret fitted to Atlas II G-ABIV in 1934.
The engineless Armstrong Whitworth Atlas (DC) K1195 was photographed at Hanworth in 1931. Note the damaged port aileron. The first Atlas flew in May 1925 and a total of 499 was built. Used in the Army Co-operation/advanced trainer role, the Atlas was eventually superseded by the Hawker Hart.
The Atlas II prototype G-EBYF photographed following its landing accident at El Palomar aerodrome, Argentina on March 23, 1931. The aircraft was shipped back to Whitley and repaired.
Left, rebuilt Atlas I JR9961 of 208 Sqn snapped after overturning at Suez Road on June 8, 1934.
Right, rebuilt Atlas AC KR1011 of No 4 FTS photographed, probably, following its take-off accident at Abu Sueir on September 26, 1935.
ON THE ARMSTRONG.WHITWORTH "AJAX": Spring-loaded turnbuckles are incorporated in the landing wires so as to keep them taut under all conditions. The strut attachment is neatly faired in aluminium sleeve held in place by a split pin.
The tail trimming gear of the Armstrong-Whitworth "Ajax" is mounted externally and is very accessible.
Metal ribs and their attachment to main spar on the Armstrong Whitworth "Atlas."
Details of steel spars and interplane and drag strut attachments on the "Atlas."
A typical fuselage joint as used on the Armstrong Whitworth "Atlas."
STEEL CONSTRUCTION: Sketches 1, 2 and 3 are typical examples of Armstrong-Whitworth steel tube construction. They show, in particular, the ball and cup method of attaching the vertical fuselage struts.
DETAILS THAT COUNT: Above, our artist shows how the tail lamp has been fitted snugly into the rudder, while below he depicts the method by which the tail plane has been faired to the fuselage of both the Atlas II and A.W.XVI.
Armstrong-Whitworth "Atlas" Armstrong Siddeley "Jaguar" Engine
Armstrong-Whitworth Atlas Mk.II Armstrong Siddeley Panther Mk.IIIA Engine