The A.W.52G makes a landing approach with its large trailing edge Fowler flap fully lowered, April 1946.
The A.W.52G under construction at Baginton on September 20, 1944.
A sequence showing the A.W.52G under tow from Coventry on April 26, 1946. The bifurcated cable was attached below and behind the leading edge. When these pictures were taken, the glider had completed 22 1/4 hr towed flight and 12 3/4 hr free flight. It was usually released at 20,000ft.
A plan view of the A.W.52G under tow, showing the straight trailing edge between the main undercarriage legs.
An unusual early photograph of TS363 before markings were applied
A front view showing the canopy offset to port and the partially buried nacelles.
The first A.W.52, TS363 performing at the 1943 SBAC display, Farnborough
The first A.W.52, TS363. The large centre-section Fowler flap is well portrayed.
The A.W.52G comes in to land. The wind-driven pumps in the main legs provided power to draw air into the slots in front of the elevons.
Left to right, F. R. Midgley, chief test pilot in 1946, E. G. Franklin, glider pilot, and W. W. Barratt, the observer.
Photographs of the second A.W.52, TS368, seem to be rare. It differed from TS363 only by having Derwent engines instead of Nenes.
The unfinished A.W.52G cockpit, with minimal instrumentation.
Armstrong Whitworth AW 52G
Armstrong Whitworth AW 52