Dragon Rapide / Dominie / D.H.89
Легкий транспортный и учебный самолет. Деревянный двухмоторный биплан. Шасси неубирающееся, в обтекателях. Военный вариант пассажирского самолета DH.89 "Дрэгон Рэпид", в свою очередь, представлявшего собой модернизацию машины DH.84 "Дрэгон", совершившей первый
полет 24 ноября 1932 г. Она была спроектирована в КБ фирмы "Де Хевилленд эйркрафт" под руководством Э. Хэгга и серийно выпускалась с конца 1932 г. Этот самолет имел военный вариант с вооружением (DH.84M), предназначавшийся для поставок на экспорт. Опытный образец DH.89, названный первоначально "Дрэгон Сикс", поднялся в небо 17 апреля 1934 г. С июля того же года "Дрэгон Сикс" строился серийно. В 1935 г. создали первый военный вариант этой машины, DH.89M, для экспорта. Модификация для британских ВВС, DH.89B "Домини", начала выпускаться с сентября 1939 г. Заводы "Де Хевилленд" в Хэтфилде и "Бруш кочуоркс" в Лоборо собрали в общей сложности 728 DH.89, в том числе 521 военный. Во время войны в Австралии восстановили производство самолетов DH.84. С сентября 1942 г. их строил завод местного филиала "Де Хевилленд" в Бэнкстауне. Всего там сделали 87 экз.
Экипаж у транспортных машин - 2 чел. и 6-10 пассажиров, у боевого варианта - 3 чел., у учебного варианта - 5-6 чел. Моторы "Джипси Сикс" (DH.89M), или "Джипси Куин" III (DH.89B). DH.84M и DH.89M несли вооружение 3x7,69 и бомбы до 150 кг.
Военные DH.84M эксплуатировались в Ираке (с апреля 1933 г.), Дании (с марта 1934 г.) и Португалии (с 1937 г.). В Ирландии и Турции военная авиация использовала как транспортные машины DH.84M обычного гражданского варианта. Первые DH.89 были приняты на вооружение британских ВВС в ноябре 1938 г., авиации флота Великобритании - в 1940 г. Эти машины поставлялись также в различные английские доминионы. Военные DH.89M имелись в Испании (с декабря 1935 г.), Иране (с июля 1936 г.), Литве (с апреля 1937 г.) и Китае (с декабря 1937 г.).
- DH.89M для экспорта с измененным остеклением кабины, с вооружением 1x7,69, бомбы до 150 кг;
- DH.89B "Домини" I, на базе гражданских DH.89A поздних серий (с посадочными щитками), учебный самолет для подготовки штурманов и радистов, без вооружения;
- DH.89В "Домини" II, легкий транспортный самолет, без вооружения.
Первыми использовали в боевых операциях DH.89M испанцы - в колониальной войне в Марокко. Впоследствии DH.84 и DH.89 с обеих сторон участвовали в гражданской войне в Испании (в том числе до конца 1936 г. и в качестве легких бомбардировщиков).
В начале Второй мировой войны британские ВВС реквизировали много DH.89 и DH.89A. В мае - июне 1940 г. они применялись на передовой во Франции для доставки грузов и перевозки раненых. Позднее вместе с "Домини" эти машины участвовали в эвакуации войск из-под Дюнкерка. В 1941 - 1944 гг. самолеты типов I и II служили для перевозки почты, офицеров связи, в т.ч. на линии Англия - Северная Ирландия. Существовали и салонные машины для недалеких полетов государственных чиновников и военного руководства. Часть "Домини" II была изготовлена в санитарном исполнении. В 1944 - 1945 гг. эти самолеты опять вернулись на передовую, поддерживая наступление британских войск в Европе.
Австралийская авиация использовала для перевозок в тылу и на фронте (в частности, на Новой Гвинее) как реквизированные гражданские машины, так и DH.84 местного производства. Некоторое количество DH.89B в 1942 г. передали американским частям в Великобритании, использовавших их как штабные и связные.
Иракские DH.84M во время мятежа Рашида Али в мае 1941 г. участвовали в первом налете на английскую авиабазу Хаббания. Большая их часть была уничтожена ответными ударами англичан.
Иранские самолеты в марте 1938 г. разоружили и передали в гражданскую авиацию. В Советском Союзе имелось несколько машин разных модификаций, принадлежавших ВВС и ГВФ. Они перешли к советской авиации после присоединения к СССР стран Прибалтики летом 1940 г. Самолеты ГВФ после начала Великой Отечественной войны эвакуировали в глубь страны. Они использовались для перевозок в тылу до 1944 г. Бывшие литовские DH.89M, вошедшие в ВВС РККА, были брошены при отступлении, позднее отремонтированы и летали в составе одной из эскадрилий Люфтваффе, укомплектованной эстонскими экипажами.
DH.89 участвовали в ряде локальных войн. В частности, они применялись в боевых действиях в Палестине в 1948 г. Эти машины состояли на вооружении в Израиле, Иордании и Ираке. Израильские самолеты использовались и в качестве легких бомбардировщиков.
Выпуск DH.89 закончили в 1948 г. (а военных "Домини" II - в июле 1946 г.). Часть "Домини" после войны переделали в гражданские DH.89A. С вооружения британских ВВС их сняли только в 1947 г., морская авиация списала последние самолеты этого типа в 1963 г.
Моторы, количество х мощность:||2x200 л.с.
Взлетная масса, максимальная:||2500 кг
Максимальная скорость:||253 км/ч
Практический потолок:||5090 м
de Havilland DH.89 Dragon Rapide и Dominie
Первый прототип самолета DH.89 Dragon Six, созданного на основе опыта, полученного при разработке и эксплуатации легких транспортных машин DH.84 Dragon и DH.86, поднялся в воздух в Стэг-Лэйн 17 апреля 1934 года. Машина была оснащена двигателями Gipsy Six мощностью по 200 л.с. (149 кВт). Поставки серийных самолетов, получивших новое название Dragon Rapide, начались в июле 1934 года. В числе первых покупателей были авиакомпании "Hillmans Airways", "Railway Air Services" и "Olley Air Service". С марта 1937 года на задней части нижнего крыла стали устанавливаться небольшие посадочные щитки, с внешней стороны от гондол двигателей, и этим самолетам было присвоено обозначение DH.89A. Гражданские варианты Dragon Rapide широко использовались по всему миру, а в Канаде эти самолеты эксплуатировались на лыжном и поплавковом шасси. Надежность и экономичность самолета позволили добиться очень высокого уровня продаж для середины - конца 1930-х годов. К началу Второй мировой войны гражданским операторам были поставлены около 200 самолетов.
Военный вариант DH.89M был разработан в соответствии со спецификацией G.18/35 Министерства авиации на самолет-разведчик для Берегового командования RAF. В носовой части, справа от места пилота, был установлен неподвижный пулемет, а в крыше кабины была смонтирована кольцевая пулеметная установка. Хотя крупный заказ Министерства авиации выиграл более совершенный Avro Anson, два экземпляра DH.89M были построены для Литвы и три - для Испании, которая использовала свои машины для борьбы с мятежниками в Марокко. Эти самолеты имели еще один пулемет в полу кабины и подфюзеляжные держатели для 12 бомб калибра 12-кг.
Хотя DH.89M не выиграл конкурс на береговой разведчик, Dragon Rapide прижились у военных в качестве связных самолетов. Первая машина была закуплена для Высшего совета по делам авиации и эксплуатировалась 24-й эскадрильей в Хендоне. Гражданские Dragon Rapide использовались для снабжения британских сил во Франции весной и в начале лета 1940 года, а множество самолетов использовались в качестве связных вспомогательной транспортной службой. В 1939 году три DH.89 были приобретены для подготовки радистов Министерством авиации по спецификации T.29/38, а за ними последовали еще 14 самолетов для 2-й радиошколы. Два первых из этих DH.89A были переданы военным в сентябре 1939 года. Учебные машины, внешне отличавшиеся кольцевой антенной пеленгатора, получили обозначение Dominie Mk I, в то время как связные варианты назывались Dominie Mk II.
К моменту завершения серийного производства в июле 1946 года, построили 728 Dragon Rapide, из них 521 по военным контрактам (большая часть этих самолетов имела обозначение DH.89B). В Хэтфилде изготовили 186 машин, но из-за загруженности выпуском других самолетов производство было передано фирме "Brush Coachworks Ltd" в Лестершире. В число военных DH.89 входили 65 самолетов, использовавшихся Королевскими ВМС с 1940 по 1958 годы, причем часть из них была мобилизована с гражданской службы, часть передана из ВВС, а часть была новой постройки.
Вскоре после окончания войны несколько сотен оказавшихся лишними Dominie были переданы в другие страны, в том числе Бельгии и Нидерландам, а часть, со снятым военным оснащением, продана гражданским покупателям. Таким образом, эти самолеты оказались разбросаны практически по всему миру. Кроме того, последние 100 серийных машин, построенных "Brush Coachworks", но не поставленных военным, дорабатывались в соответствии с требованиями гражданских заказчиков ремонтным подразделением "de Havilland" в Уитни. Эти самолеты поступили в авиакомпании "Iraqi Airways", "Jersey Airways" и KLM. В 1950-х годах авиакомпания BEA использовала большой флот Dragon Rapide для работы на линиях, соединявших Британию с многочисленными островами у ее побережья.
DH.89A Dragon Rapide Mk 4: вариант с двигателями Gipsy Queen 2 и винтами с постоянной скоростью вращения; прототип был изготовлен в 1953 году. Многие самолеты были доработаны до этого стандарта, позволявшего увеличить взлетную массу и улучшить летные характеристики
DH.89A Dragon Rapide Mk 5: единственный самолет, доработанный компанией для своих нужд и использовавшийся в качестве связного; был оснащен специальными двигателями Gipsy Queen 3 с механизмом ручного управления шагом винтов
DH.89A Dragon Rapide Mk 6: самолет со стандартными двигателями, но оснащенный металлическими винтами фиксированного шага Fairey X5
de Havilland DH.89A Dragon Rapide Mk 4
Тип: легкий транспортный самолет с экипажем один/два человека
Силовая установка: два рядных поршневых двигателя de Havilland Gipsy Queen 2 мощностью 200 л.с. (149 кВт)
Летные характеристики: макс. скорость на оптимальной высоте 241 км/ч; крейсерская скорость на оптимальной высоте 225 км/ч; начальная скороподъемность 366 м/ мин; потолок 4875 м; дальность полета 837 км
Масса: пустого 1465 кг; максимальная взлетная 2722 кг
Размеры: размах крыльев 14,63 м; длина 10,52 м; высота 3,12 м; площадь крыльев 31,21 м2
Полезная нагрузка: до восьми пассажиров в закрытой кабине
Flight, April 1934
THE DE HAVILLAND "DRAGON SIX"
This week we are able to publish the first details to be released of an aeroplane developed to cater for the speeding up of air lines similar to those in this country. It is the inevitable result of steady development
SWITZERLAND is to receive the first "Dragon Six," as the model which is herein described has been bought by Herr R. Herzig, of the Ostschweiz Aero Ges. for operation on the line St. Gaul, Zurich and Berne, which will connect with the lines to Marseilles and Barcelona. Another of these new machines will also soon be on its way to South Africa
The "Dragon Six," or D.H.89, to give it its works designation, is obviously the outcome of improving a standard "Dragon" in the light of knowledge gained with the four-engined D.H.86, which was described in FLIGHT of February 22, 1934. It resembles the latter machine perhaps even more than the standard "Dragon," because those improvements very largely consist of alterations to external features, of the kind which immediately catch the eye. For example, the wings are very like those of the D.H.86, that is, heavily tapered, with wire bracing in the front bay only. Similarly, each engine is mounted over one unit of the landing gear in a most distinctive manner. As will be seen from the table, by these improvements and by the use of two "Gipsy Six" engines, the cruising speed has been raised to 140 m.p.h. (225 km/h), and the machine has quite a considerable ceiling on one engine with full load. From a consideration of these main details it is immediately obvious that the "Dragon Six" is a machine which is particularly suitable for the development of air services in all parts of the world.
The wing construction does not differ very much from that used in the D.H.86. The biplane structure is braced by one pair of streamline-section steel tube struts and one built-up steel strut of similar section. This strut is, incidentally, spot welded, a manufacturing process which de Havillands have not so far used very extensively. The top planes have spindled spruce spars throughout their entire length and each is in one piece as far as the root fittings either side of the top of the fuselage. The bottom wings have spars of the same construction as far as the pair of inter-plane struts. Inside those, the surface is in the form of a bottom centre section which carries the engines and landing gear, and each side is, of course, identical. In this centre section the front spar is a steel tube and continues from one side to the other under the floor of the fuselage. The leading edge of the wings is smoothly finished off with fabric covered plywood, and the ailerons, of which there are four, are completely covered with the same material. They are not balanced aerodynamically and are tapered to conform with the plan form of the wing. The ailerons in the top wing are operated by a push rod which is worked by a lever underneath the bottom plane, and led through the single strut between the wing tips, thereby doing away with external connecting gear to a great extent, and, of course, reducing drag considerably. All the inter-plane strut roots are carefully faired to the wing surface with light alloy "cuffs." The wing roots are similarly filleted and faired into the fuselage with sheet light alloy fairing.
The engine and landing gear on each side form separate units. From each side of the wheel axle a tube runs straight up to the front spar, and carries in it a shock-absorbing strut designed and manufactured by Aircraft Components, Ltd., of Cheltenham, or, as it is perhaps better known, a Dowty leg. These tubes are braced to the rear spar by other steel tubes. In the front of this structure the engine mounting is carried, and this follows normal de Havilland design, being a welded up mounting of square section steel tubes. From the spars above the centre section, sloping struts of streamline section steel tube are carried up to the top of the fuselage. Behind the engine in each case is a welded aluminium fuel tank, the standard capacity being 40 gallons (182 litres), and behind that again is an oil tank of similar construction. Over the whole of the engine, these tanks, and the landing gear, a very neat fairing is built up of sheet Elektron, the engine cowling itself being of the same material and merging into the fairing over the wheel very cleanly. This latter is made in two pieces, the lower forming a fairing round the wheel itself and also a mudguard, sliding up inside the skirt of the upper portion when the Dowty legs are compressed. Dunlop A.H.746 wheels are used, carrying medium pressure 8.5 in. by 10 in. Dunlop tyres and Bendix wheel brakes.
The engines are the latest pattern 200 h.p. inverted six-cylinder "Gipsy Sixes." They are fitted with Eclipse direct drive electric starters, and the B.T.H. magnetos are of the small compact kind placed on the top of the engine where they do not cause any bulges in the cowling. A revolution counter with normal flexible drive is carried on the inside of each engine mounting with its dial placed so that the pilot can see it easily from the cockpit.
The fuselage is not quite the same as the D.H.86, as the plywood is now placed outside the longerons. The general construction continues to be of spruce and plywood with vertical and diagonal spruce struts wherever necessary. Particular care has been taken to give the fuselage a good shape externally, and with this end in view sheet Elektron curved corner pieces are put over the corners outside the longerons and spruce stringers are run along the fuselage outside the plywood to carry the Titanine-doped fabric with which the fuselage is eventually covered.
The pilot's cockpit, which is not fitted with dual control as standard, is particularly light and airy, with an abundance of windows, giving the pilot a clear outlook in all directions. The windows in the front and at the sides are of Triplex glass, and the latter are both made to open, so that a clear view may be obtained in bad weather. Slightly behind the pilot on either side, and also right over his head, the windows are of cellon carried on a steel tube structure. The controls are normal, with a “spectacle" wheel for aileron control. The wheel operating the tail plane adjusting gear, which is of the screw type, is on the left-hand side of the pilot, below the throttle operating levers. The throttles are actuated by cables passing over large pulleys, but the altitude controls are of the Simmonds-Corsey type. The hand lever for working the Bendix brakes is on the left-hand side of the pilot's seat, and the brakes are also, of course, differentially controlled by the rudder bar in the usual de Havilland fashion. A neat hinged dashboard fills the space below the front window, and carries, besides the usual range of Smith's instruments, an electric fuel gauge made by the same firm, and a Reid & Sigrist Turn and Bank Indicator and a Fore and Aft Level. The switch box controlling the navigation lights and cabin lighting is on the bulkhead behind the pilot. A rudder bias gear is fitted, actuated by a small crank handle near the floor between the pilot's legs, and the foot-rests on the rudder bar itself are fully adjustable over a wide range. The fuel cocks are operated from the cockpit by Simmonds-Corsey controls.
The passenger cabin can, of course, be arranged in any manner to suit individual users. The standard arrangement includes accommodation for six passengers with luggage. This first machine is tastefully upholstered in grey by L. A. Rumbold & Co., Ltd., and the tubular chairs are made by the same firm. Cellon windows extend the whole length of the cabin and are set in light alloy frames, while the space between the external plywood structure and the internal upholstery, which is necessitated by the thickness of the longerons and bracing struts, is filled, at the sides of the cabin, with Cabot quilting for sound-proofing purposes. An adequate supply of fresh air is brought into the cabin through a plated duct, placed high up on either side and fed from an inlet in the fairing of each upper wing root.
The tail units are of the distinctive de Havilland shape and spruce construction. The fin and rudder are plywood covered, and the latter carries a small metal aerodynamic balance in the same manner as that of the D.H.86, which was fully dealt with on page 172 of FLIGHT for February 22, 1934. The tail plane has a plywood leading edge, and the whole is fabric covered, while the elevators are also fabric covered. Great care has been taken with fairing in the tail units to the fuselage, and the tail plane is braced to the fin and fuselage with dual streamline wires.
The control surfaces are all worked by Tru-lay cables passing over large diameter pulleys, thus obviating any unnecessary friction. The tail wheel is of the fully castering type, carrying a 10 in. X 3 in. Dunlop tyre, and the taxying shocks are absorbed by rubber blocks in compression.
Recently we flew in the new D.H. "Dragon Six" a few minutes after having made a trip in the older type "Dragon," and had an opportunity of making an interesting comparison of the two types. The "Dragon Six" was flying "light" and carried, besides Capt. Hubert Broad, the pilot, only three passengers. The sound proofing arrangements had not then been completed and consequently the machine was somewhat noisy. When, however, it is finished, it is improbable that it will be noisier than the standard "Dragon." The wing area, seen through the windows, appears small compared with that of the earlier type, owing to the sharply tapered wings. Acceleration on the ground was considerably in advance of that of the old model, as was to be expected in view of the improved aerodynamic design and increased power. Although the engines were throttled well back on the climb, we were at 10,000 ft. in a surprisingly short time, and at this height Capt. Broad demonstrated the excellent manoeuvrability of the machine.
While we were cruising at below normal power a Leopard “Moth" ("Gipsy Major"), which was looking for us above the clouds, had difficulty in catching up with us, as the cruising speed of the new machine was about 140 m.p.h. As no form of air brake is provided the gliding angle is flat and the actual landing speed is probably 4 or 5 m.p.h. higher than that of the old type. We thought the undercarriage seemed less harsh than that fitted to the standard "Dragon," although there is little cause for complaint regarding the old type of landing gear.
Flight, November 1935
THE MILITARY RAPIDE
For Coastal Reconnaissance and G.P. Duties: Interesting Armament Installations: Internal Bomb Stowage
WITHIN the past few months the R.A.F. has given official recognition to a new class of aeroplane, a type intended for coastal reconnaissance and, to a certain extent, for offensive measures against enemy shipping. The tactical uses to which such a machine could be put are legion. In addition to undertaking the duties already mentioned it could be employed to escort torpedo bombers and shipping, to patrol long stretches of coast line, and to undertake antisubmarine work, for which it is provided with bombs.
It is now permissible to describe a three-seater coastal reconnaissance version of the Rapide or D.H.89 civil biplane which has been produced by the De Havilland company to perform all these duties. Obviously the machine could also undertake, over land or sea, the multifarious jobs of the general-purpose aircraft, or act as a troop carrier or an ambulance, making it an attractive proposition to air forces in which the economical operation of aircraft is of paramount importance.
Structurally the machine is similar to its civilian forerunner, and consequently this description will deal only with the features peculiar to the military version. Actually, it applies to the prototype machine supplied to the R.A.F.
The pilot's roomy cockpit is located in the nose of the fuselage. There is an extremely complete instrument board and a tapping key to operate signalling lights both on top of and below the fuselage. On the starboard side is a Mark III Vickers belt-fed machine gun with its breech easily accessible. The feed block is on the left of the gun and cartridges are fed from a box containing 400 rounds beneath the pilot's seat. There is a Very light pistol in the cockpit, which is also provided with a light and dimmer switch, and a drift sight is let into the floor A bomb release is also provided for the pilot.
In the front portion of the fuselage, where he can easily talk to the pilot, is the observer-bomber. Just to the real of the pilot's seat is a hole, with a sliding hatch, for bomb sighting purposes, and behind the Vickers gun is an electrical bomb switch with selectors and releases and the handle for opening the sliding hatch which covers the four 20 lb. bombs.
As the bomber lies down to sight the bombs he finds an instrument board in front of him, together with an altimeter, A.S.I, and temperature gauge. The navigator's sighting compass, which may be placed on the outside of the machine for taking bearings, is normally situated just above this board.
On the left-hand side of the fuselage is the navigator's table with a watch, course and distance calculator and chart board.
The bomb load consists of two 100 lb. and four 20 lb. bombs, the former being slung in the middle of the fuselage and accessible from the inside of the machine through the doors of a raised box on the floor. When released they fall through spring-loaded trap doors in the belly of the fuselage which then close automatically after the projectiles have left.
Opposite the navigator sits the radio operator, who has a similar table and transmitter, receiver and switchboard mounted in front of him. On the right-hand side of the fuselage is stowage for three parachutes for the crew. Other items are a rack to take four flares and two fire extinguishers and a first-aid box, the latter being accessible from the outside of the fuselage by ripping off a small fabric panel. At the extreme rear of the cabin are the four 20 lb. bombs already mentioned.
An ingenious gun mounting of De Havilland design is provided for the rear gunner, who sits on a swivelling seat. The ring itself is mounted on roller races, and it is claimed that, when the gun is fitted, it can be rotated by the pressure of one finger. For any firing position, except that for ground strafing, the gunner sits, and the greater the angle of elevation the higher the position of the gun. In other words, the height of the gun varies with the eye of the gunner instead of the gunner having to adjust his height to that of the gun. When not in use the whole gun and its mounting can be folded away in two or three seconds, the whole being covered by a sliding hatch. Stowage for eight 97-round drums of ammunition is provided.
Between the cross tubes of the top centre section is installed a Youngman flotation dinghy which is normally deflated and retained by a three-ply cover. Should the machine descend into the sea, this dinghy is automatically inflated from a cylinder of compressed carbon dioxide, whereupon it bursts its covering and floats, providing means of keeping the machine afloat and of allowing the crew to leave the scene of the descent. Attached to the dinghy are two marine distress signals and a hand inflator.
Flight, October 1938
British Commercial Aircraft
For many years, as a logical successor of the original Dragon, the Rapide (D.H.89) has had a reputation for making air services almost, if not entirely, self-supporting. It is the most economical medium-sized transport aeroplane in existence to-day, and its original development was the direct result of the fact that our own internal airlines had to fly by themselves. An enormous number of them are used all over the world, and the De Havilland Company has reason for looking on the type (if old-fashioned when seen through superior eyes of heavily subsidised nationals) as the most successful one they have ever produced.
De Havilland Rapide data.- Span, 48ft.; length, 34ft. 6in.; all-up weight. 5,550 lb.; weight empty, 3,260 lb.; payload, 1,472 lb.; wing area, 336 sq. ft.; wing loading, 16.52 lb./sq. ft.; power loading, 15 lb./h.p.; maximum speed, 157 m.p.h.; cruising speed (on 75 per cent. power), 140 m.p.h., and cruising range, 556 miles.
SPEEDY AND ROOMY: View of the "Dragon Six" taken recently at Stag Lane.
17 апреля 1934г.: первый полет выполнил один из самых удачных самолетов фирмы "de Havilland" - Hatfield; самолет достиг скорости 253 км/ч.
HEAD ON: The manner in which low profile drag has been achieved to a great extent is shown in this photograph.
LARGEST OF THE LOT: Capt. Hubert Broad finishing a heat on the "Dragon Six"
Hillman's D.H.89 Rapide G-ACPO, one of eight operated by the company.
SMART AND SPEEDY: A new D.H.89 just delivered to Hillman's Airways, Ltd.
The smaller type of commercial aeroplane is represented by the D.H. Rapide
ICH DIEN: It is fitting that the new De Havilland "Dragon Rapide" for H.R.H. the Prince of Wales should have been completed at this time - Their Majesties' Silver Jubilee, which, incidentally, marks a period of twenty-five years that has seen British aviation grow from a very small beginning. The machine was photographed by a Flight photographer in the bright sunlight above the heavy clouds which covered the Home Counties last week-end. Mr. Waite, one of the makers' test pilots, was delivering the machine to the Prince's hangar at Hendon.
The Prince of Wales' first D.H.89 Rapide, G-ACTT.
FAR EAST TERMINUS: The Imperial Airways D.H. 86 Dorado at Hong Kong after two years service on the Penang - Hong Kong service. From now on this service will cut across from Bangkok, thus shortening the flying distance. The Union Jacks painted on the fin and the wings are an efficient commentary on the present Far East situation.
The de Havilland D.H.89A Dragon Rapide G-ACYR, in which General Franco travelled at the start of the Spanish war, is now stored in Spain where this picture was taken recently.
Dragon Rapide G-ACYR is currently displayed in the Museo del Aire near Madrid.
" ... simplest and sweetest ol twins - a D.H. Rapide ..."
The Dragon Rapide in which the author flew General Franco to Tetuan from Las Palmas in July 1936.
Brian Woodford's D.H.89A Dragon Rapide G-ACZE made its public debut in Royal Flight colours at Woburn on August 17, 1986. The aircraft has been restored by Ron Souch at Southampton.
In 1942-43 the Allied Airways fleet consisted of Rapides G-ACZE, G-ACZF and G-ADAH, Dragon G-ACNJ and Puss Moth G-ABLS. Rapide G-ACZE is currently under restoration at Hamble and the Puss Moth is currently owned
UNITED'S FIRST: The new Dragon "Rapide," finished in silver with red struts, for United Airways' London-Blackpool service, which will be opened next month.
Dragon Rapide G-ADAH in the livery of Northern Scottish Airways Ltd.
The Martin Navigation fleet consists of three D.H. Rapides and a Dragon
The first D.H. "Rapide" to be delivered to British and Continental Airways, a new company which is to operate a daily service to the Continent. Two others are at present on order. For the moment, the Continental destination of the first service cannot be revealed, but Messrs. J. K. Morton and A. P. K. Hathersley have joined the Company as pilots.
The Ethyl D.H. Rapide at Jodhpur.
THE ROYAL RAPIDE: A new private aerodrome is being prepared for the King at Smith's Lawn, Windsor. This is the D.H.89 at present owned by His Majesty, and the photograph shows it on the compass base at Hatfield. G-ACTT, the other D.H.89 used by His Majesty when Prince of Wales, was sold some time ago to Olley Air Service.
The second Prince of Wales' Rapide was G-ADDD, acquired in June 1935 and sold to Western Airways Ltd in November 1938.
The scene at Mildenhall on the arrival of the King, with a background of Hinds and Heyfords.
A line-up of four D.H.Dragon Rapides in North Eastern Airways' livery at Doncaster in 1938. G-ADWZ was later impressed into the RAF as X9449, and during a night-time Army co-operation flight it crashed at Llanrhaiadr-ym-Mochnant, N. Wales, on August 2, 1940. G-ADDE survived impressment as X9386 but failed to obtain a post-war C of A. G-AEXP, a D.H.89A, was impressed as X8505, damaged by enemy action at St Omer on May 25, 1940 and subsequently destroyed. G-AEMH was impressed as X9387 and survived many scrapes with the RAF to last until 1961, when it was scrapped at Ipswich.
When Anglo-Iranian aircraft were flying, oil drillings were set alight so that the dense black smoke acted as markers. In still air the smoke would sometimes rise to 10,000ft and was visible from 100 miles away.
The DRAGON RAPIDE 1938 Model
BEA Islander Class Dragon Rapide G-AFEZ Lord Shaftesbury, used on the corporation's Scottish, Scilly and Channel Islands route.
Bromma’s terminal building which has already been found to be too small for requirements and is likely to be extended during the next year.
The D.H.89A Dragon-Rapide Light Transport (two D.H. Gipsy-six engines).
D.H. Dragon Rapide G-AGLN, ex NR696, was registered to Anglo-Iranian in December 1944. Exactly two years later, in December 1946, the aircraft was lost in a crash at Abadan.
Rapide G-AGSH awaits another inter-island flight at Jersey. This aircraft made its first flight in April 1945 and joined Channel Islands Airways three months later, before being absorbed into the BEA fleet in early 1947. The initial BEA colour scheme was somewhat austere, the Rapides being silver overall with the airline’s “Speedkey” logo within a red circle on the fin and “British European Airways” running discreetly beneath the cockpit and forward cabin windows.
Passengers disembark from G-AGSH and make their way to the single-storey building at Alderney Airport - "terminal" may be too grand a word! The airport has been gradually upgraded since John’s visit in 1947 and, although not as busy today as it was in the 1970s and 1980s, Alderney still services more than 9,700 aircraft movements each year.
With a stiff breeze blowing over the landing field at La Grand Blaye on Alderney, Rapide G-AGSH is prepared for its return hop back to Guernsey, and then on to Jersey, during John Stroud’s visit to the Channel Islands at the end of April 1947. Although the smallest of the three islands by some margin, Alderney can boast the first licensed airport in the Channel Islands, having opened in October 1935.
Three of BEA’s Rapides beside the terminal at Guernsey on April 30, 1947. The nearest, G-AGSH (c/n 6884) and the furthest, G-AGPH (c/n 6889), were both operated by Channel Islands Airways before the latter became part of BEA in the nationalisation process in 1946; G-AHXZ (c/n 6825) had joined BEA from the Ministry of Supply in September 1946.
This photo, taken by the author in April 1977, show the restored Rapide, G-AGSH, outside the BIA hangar at Jersey
This photo, taken by the author in April 1977, show the restored Rapide, G-AGSH, after arriving at Dinard
Rapide G-AGSH as BEA's "Lord Baden-Powell" in the early 1960s
Five of BEA’s Islander-class Rapides on the hardstanding at Jersey. In November 1947 the last Croydon - Guernsey direct service was made, all London services to the Channel Islands originating from Northolt from 1948, using Dakotas. The Rapides continued to be used, however, on services to the islands from Southampton.
The Parachute Regiment Free Fall Club's newly restored Rapide G-AGTM at the Staverton display 13/4/69;
Three BEA Rapides, all former Channel Islands Airways aircraft, sit together on the hardstanding at Jersey, its distinctive diagonal paving completed by the German forces after their invasion of the Channel Islands in June 1940.
De Havilland fly-by during the Shuttleworth display at Old Warden on 27th June, 1976. Formation consists of D.H.80 Puss Moth G-AEOA, D.H.89 Dragon Rapide G-AHGD, with D.H.83 Fox Moth G-ACEJ behind it, and D.H.82 Tiger Moth G-ANOH
D.H.89A Dragon Rapide G-AHKV (1957-63)
Когда лишние военные самолеты Dominie оказались на гражданском рынке, их в основном покупали небольшие компании и организации, например, такие как Автомобильная ассоциация (на снимке).
D.H.89A Dragon Rapide G-AHXZ of Channel Island Airways on the Croydon apron on March 15, 1947. Previously NR737, this Rapide was burned out at Renfrew on August 28, 1951.
<...> 'YR in the colours of its first civilian <...> Sigrist Ltd.
<...> Wild flying ’YR from Elstree on <...> 1961. Elstree was the aircraft’s base <...> by Hunting Surveys Ltd.
Rapide G-AIYR plying her trade.
The author at the controls of Dragon Rapide G-AIYR, photographed while up from Elstree by RICHARD T. RIDING. Note the Hunting Surveys Ltd logo on the nose.
Evocative picture of D. H. Dragon Rapide G-AIYR on finals to the easterly runway at Land’s End in 1977 - with the author at the controls. Land’s End Airport (St Just) was opened in September 1937, though Olley Air Service's D. H. Dragons used the site as early as 1935, Capt Olley having purchased land between Sennen and St Just at that time. The airfield lies five miles west of Penzance, Cornwall.
D.H.89A Rapides are, alas, a disappearing breed. This one was photographed near Wycombe Air Park in December 1973 by Tom Hamill of Flight
De Havilland Dragon Rapide 4 G-AKOE made its first flight for 13 1/2 years at Chirk on October 17, 1978. It was restored by North Western Aero Services of Chirk, Clwyd, and is to be leased by British Airways for publicity work.
With Butlin’s bunting waving in the breeze in the background, G-AKOG comes in over Taylorcraft Plus D G-AHCG to land at Ingoldmells.
A line-up of the visiting aircraft at Skegness Airport Ltd’s Grand Air Display held at Ingoldmells on August 27, 1950. Leading the line is the company’s own de Havilland Rapide, G-AKOG, beyond which is Bond Air Services’ D.H.86B G-ADVJ and another Rapide, G-ALBC.
Cambrian Rapide G-AKUB was named Glamorgan was delivered to the airline in April 1948. In January 1955 it was sold.
Cambrian Rapide G-AKUC Monmouth was delivered in May 1948 and remained with the airline until January 1955.
One of ANT’s Dragon Rapides, G-AKZT.
Cambrian's Dragon Rapide G-ALAT, named Anglesey, was delivered in May 1949 and sold in June 1954.
Another photograph of Cambrian Dragon Rapide G-ALAT Anglesey, awaiting customers.
Bond Air Services’ D.H.86B G-ADVJ sits on the Ingoldmells grass in company with Rapide G-ALBC, owned by construction company McAlpine. Both of Bond’s D.H.86Bs went to Bahrein after leaving the company in 1951; sadly, G-ADUH was destroyed in a ground collision in 1952 and G-ADVJ was derelict by the end of that year.
In 1935 Garden joined the newly-formed United Airways Ltd, which provided services between London, Blackpool and the Isle of Man. Garden flew the airline’s Dragon Rapides, which were absorbed into the British Airways fleet on amalgamation with other airlines in late 1935.
After the landing in a field at King William's Town. The machine took off from the road in the foreground.
The passenger (Mr. F M. S. Tegner) and mechanic (Mr. G. J. Frisby) during a two-hour wait at Khartoum for "Customs."
The Lord Mayor, Aid. R. S. Dalgliesh, welcomes Sir Philip Cunliffe-Lister as he steps from the Communications "Rapide."
MAJOR D. CLOETE, M.C., A.F.C., Director of Aviation in the Government of Southern Rhodesia, with the D.H.89 which he is flying out to Africa. At a ceremony at Hatfield recently, Mrs. Lanigan-O’Keefe, wife of the South Rhodesian High Commissioner in London, named the machine Southern Rhodesia. Used on administrative duties, it will save officials many long and tedious journeys. Maj. Cloete, who was flying in 1914-1918, and was a C.F.S. pilot, will pilot the D.H.89 on many of these trips.
COMFORTABLY TO KENYA: Capt. G. de Havilland and Mr. F. T. Hearle (left) have delivered a Wilson Airways Dragon Rapide by easy stages to Kenya. Mr. Hearle has been a colleague of "D.H." since 1908, when he helped him build his first machine.
Unloading a R.A.N.A. Rapide at Beira, where the company's service links up with that of Imperial Airways; the golf clubs remove any false ideas about "darkest Africa."
DELIVERED: A pleasantly informal snap from Hatfield, showing Aero O/Y pilots taking delivery of their Company's second D.H. Rapide. Left to right : Mr. Peter de Havilland, Flt. Capt. Raunio, W/O Nylund, Mr. Geoffrey de Havilland and Mr. George Gibbons.
The party at Hatfield before leaving for East Africa. From left to right the group consists of Messrs. Beatty and Philips, Flt. Lt. Hawker, and Messrs. Wetherall, Williams and Davidson
The scene at the opening ceremony, with the first of Aero’s two Rapides in the foreground.
D.W. Lucke in the machine which made the trip - the Ethyl Export Corporation's Rapide.
FOR THE NETHERLANDS INDIES: These three D.H. Rapides are to be used for aerial survey work by the Netherlands New Guinea Petroleum Company. One is to be fitted with a P.B. automatic pilot.
Трудно поверить, но именно "Дрэгон Рапид" послужил основой для DH-88 "Комета"
A STANDARD RACER: The New Zealand D.H. "Dragon Six," Tainui, flown by J. D. Hewett and C. E. Kay, which, after running sixth in the speed race, was held up with minor damage at Cloncurry.
ETHYLISED: The "Dragon Six" which the Ethyl Export Corporation has just taken over for work in Europe and the East. The "Gipsy Six" engines have special aluminium cylinder heads with steel valve seats and Stellited valves, to enable advantage to be taken of the widespread supplies of leaded fuels of high octane value. The cabin is luxurious and the machine is finished in black and yellow. Mr. D. W. Lucke is the pilot.
Type which have done an enormous amount of pioneer work on airlines in all parts of the world: the D.H.89, or Dragon Rapide
Pegging down for the night at Kano. The sacking is to protect the windscreen from the tropical sun - but the sun won.
Giffard Bay, on the beach at St. Helier, with three of the service "Dragons" in the background. This picture was taken immediately after landing and before the inevitably large crowd collected.
Lord Londonderry about to enter the Communications "Rapide" for an Empire Air Day tour.
Oscar helps a passenger disembark from a British Airways Dragon Rapide at Liverpool in 1936. Two years later he would join Imperial Airways and train to become a pilot on “hellish” flying-boats.
The D.H."Dragon-Rapide" (two 200 h.p. D.H. "Gipsy-Six" engines).
MILITARISED: The "Dragon Rapide" ordered for No. 24 (Communications) Squadron at Hendon.
De Havilland D.H.89A Dominie K4 of the Kenya Air Force over East Africa. A military variant of the 1934 Dragon Rapide, the RAF name "Dominie” was not bestowed until after the outbreak of war. The example here was probably a communications machine.
DH.89 поступил на вооружение ВВС под обозначением Dominie. На снимке 1943 года два "Домини" Mk.I, принадлежавших 2-й школе радистов британских ВВС. Учебные машины отличались большими кольцевыми антеннами над фюзеляжем
Two D.H. 89M Dominie Wireless and Navigational Training biplanes (two D.H. Gipsyqueen III engines).
<...>wartime photograph of G-AIYR as <...> HG691 of No 2 Radio School, <...> Yatesbury, Wiltshire.
Another performer at both Duxford and Old Warden was Martin Barraclough and Tom Storey's Duxford-based de Havilland Dragon Rapide/Dominie G-AGTM/NF875. Our picture was taken on a sortie from Old Warden on June 25, 1978, with Martin in charge.
"Дрэгонфлай", ранее принадлежавший южноафриканской авиакомпании, и английский военно-санитарный "Дрэгон Рапид".
D.H. Dragon Rapide “Z7258”/G-AHGD
de Havilland D.H.89 Dragon Rapide air ambulance.
Транспортный "Домини" II, построенный заводом "Браш кочуоркс"
Аэродром Диредава, 3 апреля 1941г. На заднем плане - "Савойя" S.79, на которой главнокомандующий итальянских войск в Эфиопии герцог Аоста прилетел для переговоров с англичанами о сдаче Аддис-Абебы.
The de Havilland Factory and Aerodrome at Rongotai, New Zealand. The aircraft are D.H. Dominies, with a Fox Moth, a Puss Moth, a Moth Minor, and a Tiger Moth in the foreground.
Built by Brush Coachworks Ltd at Loughborough, and powered by two 200 h.p. Gipsy Queen IIIs, de Havilland D.H.89A Dominie I NR677 was built for the RAF as a radio or navigation trainer, being delivered to No 18 MU on July 15, 1944. It was passed into the Royal Navy's charge on August 20, 1945.
Израильский "Дрэгон Рапид" сразу по прибытии в Палестину получил военный камуфляж. Снимок сделан в момент перекраски.
UBIQUITOUS: A D.H. Dragon Rapide, used by Canadian Airways on the daily Seattle-Vancouver service, parked in front of the administration building, Boeing Field, Seattle, Wash. An interesting feature of this Rapide is the increased fin area necessary when floats are fitted. The other machines will be recognised as a Lockheed Electra 10A of Northwest Airlines and a Boeing 247D of United Air Lines.
WEST. - A D.H. "Dragon-Rapide" on skis of a streamlined type. Canadian Airways Ltd. operates several De Havilland machines, on skis in the Winter and on floats in Summer.
A Rapide (two Gipsy Sixes) operating on skis.
STREAMLINE SKIS: The first D.H. Rapide to be fitted with skis in Canada. These are, it is believed, the first streamline skis to be fitted to a transport machine and have positive pitching movements about the axle.
Central Scotland Airport’s building layout, with the terminal between the two large hangars - a picture taken shortly before the opening ceremony, while the guests and visitors were indoors.
Последние минуты перед стартом гонки на приз Мак-Робертсона
ON MACROBERTSON EVE: An impressive scene on the apron at Mildenhall. On the right stands Jones's and Waller's "Comet," with its undercarriage undergoing last-minute repairs; Baby Ruth is at the compass base; in the centre is the Mollisons' "Comet"; behind it are Hewett's and Kay's "Dragon Six" and a D.H. service "Dragon"; and in the background the "Gee-Bee" is being run up, while the ill-fated Fairey Fox can be discerned.
A few of the visiting machines on the tarmac at Helsingfors Airport last Sunday. The machine on the left is the L.O.T. Lockheed 14, while in the foreground, just to be seen, is one of the Aero O/Y two Rapides.
AN AFRICAN RALLY: More than seventy machines appeared at the Lourenco Marques aerodrome for the air rally early last month.In this aerial photograph most of them are seen parked in front of the D.E.T.A. hangar. On the tarmac are this concern's three recently acquired Ju.52s, while on the right there are the four Rapides, the Dragonfly and the Hornet which are also used by the company.
During the final stage of the Dien Bien Phu battle, the USAF instituted an air bridge to deliver ammunition and spare parts to Indochina, leaving the French ‘Packets’ to fly only internal missions. This view - from the top hatch of an Invader - shows a C-54 and C-119 of the 315th Air Division of Misawa operating from Cat Bi. At centre is an ‘Aeronavale’ PB4Y Privateer of 28F and in front of the C-54 Dragon Rapide F-BAHY.
Three quarter side view of 4R-AAI, shortly after its arrival at Biggin Hill with plenty of oil visible on the undercarriage legs.
Three quarter front view of 4R-AAI with the messages of goodwill collected during its flight, visible on the nose.
D.H. Rapide I, 4R-AAI, ex NF865, seen at Biggin Hill after its flight from Sri Lanka (Ceylon)
The Strathallan Collection includes a fair cross-section of de Havilland types: Dragon Rapide G-ALXT/NF865, seen here with previous Ceylon registration 4R-AAI.
Flashback to the early days. This is the DH Dragon Rapide which was in service in 1939.
Ageless! Celebrating 22nd birthday is the prototype (c/n. 6250) D.H.89 Dragon Six (Rapide), ex-"E-4" ; CH-287; HB-ARA and now HB-APA of Motorfluggruppe, Zurich.
SHROUDED: The D.H. "Dragon Rapide" now used by Aero St. Gallen on services between St. Gallen, Zurich and Berne. During 1934 this company, which also owns a "Puss Moth" and a "Leopard Moth" and which has been doing school and charter work since 1931, carried 3,393 passengers. The "Rapide" was recently flown by Capt. Rieser from St. Moritz to Zurich with a hospital case. There are no hangars at St. Moritz - hence the funereal appearance of their latest acquisition in this picture
DRAGON RAPIDE. 2 1/2 tons, 6-8 passengers, economical cruising 132-135 m.p.h., 213-218 km./hr.
A snap of Swissair’s Rapide taken while the two machines were flying in photographic formation over St. Moritz.
As the Rapide JY-ACE was formerly TJ-AAD, it may well be that Rapide JY-AAE will be moved to the adjoining marks JY-ACF.
Formerly in service with the Fairey Aviation Co. Lid., the Rapide OO-AFG (initials of Avions Fairey Gossalies) is now flying with oversize windows similar to a Dragon I and electrically operated flaps.
A D.H. Dragon Rapide (two D.H. Gipsy Queen engines) delivered to "Zone Redningskorp," the Danish First Aod Organization.
Dutch Rapide V-3 is now based at Schiphol and still in use by K.L.M. for photographic purposes as PH-OTA "Gelderland".
Основа британской пассажирской авиации в африканских колониях - DH.89 «Драгон Рапид» (на переднем плане) и Армстронг-Уитворт AW.15 «Атланта» (за ним). Фото сделано в Палестине в 1937 г.
DH Dragon Rapide TJ-AAR from Transjordan.
At Berwick in February 1975, shortly after taking up its Australian registration.
TO AID EMPIRE DEVELOPMENT. The first D.H. "Dragon Rapide" to bear Australian registration letters, the machine illustrated will be used to inspect arrangements for the supply of Shell products in Australia and to collect data applying to their use.
ABOVE A WONDER OF THE WORLD: A D.H.89 Rapide, which has recently been added to the Rhodesia and Nyasaland Airways' fleet, flying over the Victoria Falls and the Zambesi Bridge.
Victoria Falls seen over one of the Gipsy Sixes of the Rapide.
FOR 'IRAQ'S FIRST AIRLINE. - Three "Dragon-Rapides" were flown from Hatfield by pilots of the Royal 'Iraqi Air Force for the 'Iraq Aeroplane Company, the first air operating firm in that country to operate.
This photograph of the Southern Alps of New Zealand was taken from a Dragon Rapide liner operating on a regular route of Cook Straight Airways which crosses 90 miles of mountainous country.
A Rapide flying in New Zealand.
IN NEW ZEALAND: One of Cook Strait Airways’ D.H. Rapides flying on the west coast route between Nelson and Greymouth. The company uses five of these machines and also runs a service between Nelson, Blenheim and Wellington. An additional service from Nelson to Takaka is to be opened in October.
Обнаружение косяков рыбы с воздуха. В 1919 году испытания, проведенные Управлением рыбной ловли США, показали, что косяки рыб, не замеченные с корабля, можно обнаружить с воздуха. С тех пор в некоторых областях мира для этой цели используется авиация. Эта практика продолжается и сегодня, особенно на Аляске. Идущие в прибрежные воды весной колоссальные стаи сельди - основная "мишень" для авиации наведения рыболовных судов. На восточном побережье авиация США также используется для наведения судов с гарпунами на косяки рыбы-меч и синеперого тунца. Для обнаружения рыбы главным образом используются легкие и маневренные машины сельскохозяйственной авиации, наводящие рыболовецкие суда по радио.
As ZK-BCP at Te Anau in December 1971.
’CP at Christchurch in January 1975.
Three De Havilland 89s for the Turkish State Air Line.
TURKISH DELIGHT: The Turkish consul and representatives of Turkish State Airways examine with interest one of the three D.H. Rapides which the company has just acquired. By arrangement with the French, the machines will be used on the Istanbul-Aleppo section of the French Indo-Chin'a service.
The D.H. Rapide Salama used by Aero O/Y in their internal airline experiments. The picture was taken on Helsinski aerodrome.
V-2, which became G-APBJ, still stands unconverted in the open at Croydon.
Rapide G-AKIF at Booker 27/1/77 in U.S. marks for a Glen Miller film.
Pioneers in India: part of the Tata fleet at Bombay
Fleet of De Havilland Twin Engined Air Transports (Air Dispatch Ltd.) finished with Berger Aircraft Finishes
Three D.H. "Dragon-Rapides" of the Chinese Ambulance Service at Kai Tak Aerodrome, Hong Kong.
The scene at Hatfield prior to the start of the rally. Fifty-odd aircraft are visible, all de Havilland, even the Chipmunk in front of the Rapides, although strictly speaking the Jackaroos should be excluded from the total.
One of Western Airways D.H. Rapides over Weston-super-Mare; the company’s base aerodrome is half-covered by chud on the right of the picture.
Medium-sized type used in the efficiency comparisons - the D.H.89.
One of Cook Strait Airway’s D.H. Rapides flying over Wellington.
Two Tigers escorted by a Rapide arrive overhead Strathallan.
Some of Capt J. T. C. Long's photographs taken during his flip in an Island Air Services Rapide in 1955. The one in the center shows the Albert Hall and Hyde Park, and the other two show another IAS Rapide accompanying Long’s machine.
“The Scillies scattered in an oval pattern across our track... ”, taken from Rapide G-AIYR in 1977 while heading north-east, on the eastern side of the Eastern Isles.
Fairly typical terrain over which Anglo-Iranian Rapides plied their trade.
View of Abadan from a Rapide.
Summer evening from 'YR over Sennen and looking towards the Longships Light - the author was at the controls.
View from BEA scheduled Rapide, about to turn finals for Land's End, August 1959.
The window frames and propeller boss of this De Havilland machine are made in BIRMABRIGHT, the light, corrosion resisting aluminium alloy with high mechanical properties and remarkable fatigue resistance.
Two Series I Sixes power the De Havilland Rapide. The cold intake, and inside warm air intake with flame trap, can be distinguished.
Flight testing was carried out on a D.H. 89. The “L” shaped fittings carrying the wheel arms were used to preserve the present location of wheel and vertical struts. Such fittings will not normally be required.
One of three de Havilland D.H.89M Dragon Rapides used operationally by the Spanish Nationalists air arm, 40-2 "Captain Vela"
One of three de Havilland D.H.89M Dragon Rapides used operationally by the Spanish Nationalists air arm, 40-1 "Captain Pouso"
One of at least three DH.89A Dragon Rapides acquired in 1936 by LARES, in wartime livery. At least four DH Dragonflies were also bought. As they were all powered by Gipsy engines, which were produced in Romania, they were easily kept in service as staff transports during the war.
A MILITARY de HAVILLAND: The D.H. 89 (two 200 h.p. 'Gipsy Six" engines) Coastal Reconnaissance machine. It has a fixed machine gun on the starboard side of the nose, and bombs are carried inside the fuselage. Note the shield for the rear gunner.
This view shows to advantage the special D.H. gun mounting which may be completely concealed when not in use
Прототип DH.89M, созданный по спецификации G.18/35 для прибрежной разведки. Этот самолет проходил испытания в Фарнборо в 1937-1938 годах.
A De Havilland "Dragon-Rapide" of the Lithuanian Air Force.
Самолеты DH-89M «Драгон Рапид» ВВС Литвы в аэропорту Амстердама во время перегонки «Драгонов» из Англии в Литву, апрель 1937 г.
Viscount Swinton chatting, on arrival in a D.H.89, with Sqn. Ldr. Reid and Mr. George Lowdell (left), the chief instructor.
The D.H. 89 coastal reconnaissance machine have been developed from civil type. The engines are Gipsy Sixes.
Two 100 lb. bombs are carried inside the trap doors, here seen agape. The pilot's fixed Vickers gun, on the starboard side of the nose, is also shown.
Twelve 27-lb. bombs are carried beneath the fuselage The opening seen in this view is for the bomb sight. The message hook is carried on the port side of the bomb racks.
Risk of damage to the tail unit by the rear top gun is eliminated by this special guard. The two rear guns are of the Vickers drum-fed pattern.