Flight, June 1924
THE THIRD INTERNATIONAL AERO SHOW AT PRAGUE
THE GERMAN EXHIBITS
DIETRICH-GOBIET FLUGZEUGWERK, CASSEL
The "D.P.IIA" is a two-seater school machine. Originally the machine was a biplane with pure cantilever wings, but as exhibited
a pair of N struts had been added, probably mainly to stiffen the wings against torsional loads, as there is no external wing lift bracing. The fuselage is of welded steel tube construction, very similar to the Fokker machines, and is covered with fabric, except the front portion near the engine, which is covered with aluminium. The wings are of usual wood construction, and the top plane only is provided with ailerons (balanced). The top plane is supported from the fuselage on each side by a steel tube tripod to the front spar and a single strut to the rear spar, exactly as in the well-known Fokker "D.VII." The seven-cylinder Siemens engine, of 75-80 h.p., is mounted on a steel structure in the nose of the fuselage, and is cowled-in all except the cylinder heads. The pilot and passengers are placed in tandem, the pilot occupying the rear seat, so that the presence or absence of a passenger does not affect the trim of the machine. The main dimensions of the "D.P.IIA" are: Length, o.a., 5-9 m. (19 ft. 5 ins.); wing span, 7-2 m. (23 ft. 7 ins.); wing area, 16-32 sq. m. (176 sq. ft.); weight of machine empty, 400 kgs. (880 lbs.); useful load, 220 kgs. (484 lbs.); total loaded weight, 620 kgs. (1,364 lbs.); wing loading, 7-75 lbs./sq. ft.; power loading, 17 lbs./h.p.; maximum speed, 160 kms./h. (100 m.p.h.); range, 525 kms. (325 miles); time to 1,000 m. (3,300 ft.), 6 mins.; ceiling, 3,850 m. (12,600 ft.).
Flight, May 1925
THE ROUND-GERMANY FLIGHT
The Dietrich Machines
Known until recently as the Dietrich-Gobiet Flugzeugwerke, the name of this firm has now been changed to Dietrich, of Cassel. The machines entered by this firm belong to two types that have already become well and favourably known throughout Germany, i.e., the D.P.IIA biplane and the D.P.VIIA monoplane. One of the biplanes will be piloted by Herr Richard Dietrich himself.
The D.P.IIA was the first machine to be produced by the Dietrich works, and has a certain resemblance to the Fokker biplane, especially those of the D.VII type. It is a small-span biplane with cantilever wings, but has inter-plane struts for resisting torque. The wings are of totally different construction from that of the Fokker, having normal spars and ribs and being covered with fabric.
The fuselage is of the welded-steel tube type of construction, with diagonal bracing wires somewhat after the style of the Fokkers. The engine fitted is a Siemens seven-cylinder, radial air-cooled of 70-80 h.p. The petrol tank is situated in the fuselage, and contains enough petrol for 4 1/2 hours' flight at full power. The main dimensions of the D.P.IIA are: Length, o.a., 5.97 m. (19 ft. 7 ins.); span, 7.2 m. (23 ft. 7 ins.); wing area, 16.32 sq. m. (175 sq. ft.). The weight of the machine empty is 420 kgs. (925 lbs.); useful load, 240 kgs. (528 lbs.); total loaded weight, 660 kgs. (1,453 lbs.); top speed, 140 km./h. (87 m.p.h.); landing speed, 70 km./h. (46 mph.); and ceiling, 3,200 m. (10,500 ft.).