Flight, May 1925
THE ROUND-GERMANY FLIGHT
The machine entered by the Flugtechnischer Verein Spandau was designed by the technical chief of this Society, Herr Ing. Kurt Krokowski, and was constructed under his direction
by members of the Society. Like the Darmstadt "Mohamed" it is, therefore, entirely a private effort and as such deserves every encouragement. Both fuselage and wing are largely of three-ply wood construction, and the machine is a pure cantilever light monoplane two-seater. The two halves of the wing are attached by tubular bolts to short wing roots integral with the fuselage, and may be dismantled by simply undoing the bolts. The fuselage is of streamline form, and the various members such as wing roots, vertical fin and undercarriage legs, are carefully faired into the fuselage covering. The power plant is a 30 h.p. two-cylinder Haacke air-cooled rated at 30 h.p. The span of the machine is 11-4 m. (37 ft. 5 ins.), and the overall length 5-7 m. (18 ft. 9 ins.). The wing chord at the root is 1-8 m. (5 ft. 11 ins.), and at the tips is 0-6 m. (1 ft. 11 ins.). The wing area is 13 sq. m. (140 sq.ft.). The top speed is approximately 130 km./h. (80 m.p.h.), and the low speed is 60 km./h. (37 m.p.h.). The side view of the "Spandau" is given herewith and a three-quarter front view of the machine was published in our issue of May 14, 1925.