An early photograph of the prototype F-106A, 56-451, taken as it touches down at Edwards Air Force Base in California at the conclusion of a test flight. The aircraft made its first flight on December 26, 1956, from Edwards.
Another view of the second F-106A. Delta Darts were armed with Hughes MA-1 electronic guidance and fire control systems operating with the Semi-Automatic Ground Environment defence system.
This NF-106B was used as a variable stability test aircraft at Edwards Air Force Base.
The first two-seater Delta Dart, the F-106B, taking off on its maiden flight at Edwards AFB on April 9, 1958. The pilot for the 40min flight was John M. Fitzpatrick. Originally designated TF-106A, the F-106B retained the F-106A's combat ability and the designation was changed to F-106B.
The first F-106B lands following its maiden flight on April 9, 1958.
The first F-106B photographed on the same day. The elongated nose of the two-seater is evident in this view though the length of the fuselage was not changed with the addition of the rear cockpit. A total of 63 F-106Bs was ordered by the Air Force, the last aircraft being delivered in 1960.