The first XF-84H poses for its first pictures on the runway in front of the Republic Co’s tower and hangar 3. Clearly visible are the high slab T tail and the shark fin behind the cockpit. The dark area forward of the fin contains the Ram Air Turbine for emergency hydraulic power, which extended automatically when the undercarriage was lowered.
Despite statements by many writers that the second XF-84H never flew, the USAF photo proves them wrong. It shows the author flying 17060 from Edwards Air Force Base on October 9, 1956, during the last flight of an XF-84H. This aircraft ended up on the scrap heap.