Air Enthusiast 1998-01
M.Goodall - Wight Elephants
The Wight Twin Landplane under construction at West Cowes in 1915. Note double-camber wing section and one of the floats for the AD.1 seaplane in the foreground.
Admiralty ‘Aileron Propeller’ fitted to a Sopwith Type 860 Seaplane No.852 for testing at Port Victoria.
No.1358 at West Cowes after launching.
No 1358 at West Cowes. The ‘greenhouse’ is all too obvious!
AD Type 1 No.1000 moored at Calshot after removal of engines. Note the absence of the external radiators and armour plate and also the deeper central nacelle.
Front view of No.1000 showing redesigned central nacelle.
AD Type 1 No.1358 under construction at West Cowes. Note temporary struts to upper wing extensions and Admiralty Type 840 on the right with folded wings.
The Twin Landplane at Eastchurch in August 1915.
Wight twin Seaplane No.1451 carrying out torpedo-dropping trials off Felixstowe.
Improved Twin Seaplane No 1450 at Felixstowe for trials.
The end of the final flight of the Twin Landplane September 1915.
The Wight Twin Landplane under construction at West Cowes in 1915. Note double-camber wing section and one of the floats for the AD.1 seaplane in the foreground.
Wight Improved Twin Seaplane No 1451 taxying at speed in the Solent off Cowes.
Improved Twin Seaplane in the air over Felixstowe.
The Twin Landplane being brought ashore on the bank of the River Swale at Eastchurch after its journey by sea from Cowes in July 1915.
Twin Seaplane No 187 at West Cowes. Note 18in torpedo slung under the lower wing centre-section.
Wight Twin Seaplane.
Wight AD Type 1 No.1000.
AD Type 1 No.1358 under construction at West Cowes. Note temporary struts to upper wing extensions and Admiralty Type 840 on the right with folded wings.