Air Enthusiast 1973-06
-
Model enthusiast
The Fiat C.R.42 {MM5701) of the 95a Squadriglia, 18° Gruppo Caccia Terrestre (detached from the 3° Stormo to the 56° Stormo for operation against the British Isles with the Corpo Aereo Italiano). This aircraft, based at Eechloo, Belgium, took-off at 1200 hours on 11 November 1940 as part of an escort for 10 Fiat B.R.20s of the 43° Stormo performing what was to prove to be an abortive attack on Harwich. Flown by Sergente Pilota Pietro Salvadori, MM5701 suffered a broken oil-pipe which resulted in the engine overheating. Salvadori eventually making a forced landing on the beach a quarter-mile north of the Orfordness lighthouse. Suffolk. The aircraft was later repaired and flown by the RAF as BT474, and is today preserved at Biggin Hill (although unfortunately repainted in an incorrect finish). The 18° Gruppo emblem comprised an axe with three arrows superimposed and the motto "Ocio che te copo!", the whole enclosed by a vertical rectangle.
A Fiat C.R.42 operated by 1./NSGr.7 based at Banya-Luka, Croatia, May 1944, as part of Fliegerfuhrer Kroatien. Note all-black undersurfaces, lack of underwing crosses and tail swastika. The Italian rudder marking can still be seen beneath the camouflage and the outer ring of the original Italian upper wing markings was retained after the application of German insignia.
The Fiat C.R.42 (MM5701) of the 95a Squadriglia, 18° Gruppo Caccia Terrestre (detached from the 3° Stormo to the 56° Stormo for operation against the British Isles with the Corpo Aereo Italiano). This aircraft, based at Eechloo, Belgium, took-off at 1200 hours on 11 November 1940 as part of an escort for 10 Fiat B.R.20s of the 43° Stormo performing what was to prove to be an abortive attack on Harwich. Flown by Sergente Pilota Pietro Salvadori, MM5701 suffered a broken oil-pipe which resulted in the engine overheating. Salvadori eventually making a forced landing on the beach a quarter-mile north of the Orfordness lighthouse. Suffolk. The aircraft was later repaired and flown by the RAF as BT474, and is today preserved at Biggin Hill (although unfortunately repainted in an incorrect finish). The 18° Gruppo emblem comprised an axe with three arrows superimposed and the motto "Ocio che te copo!", the whole enclosed by a vertical rectangle.

The lower side- view and wing tips (centre) depict a Fiat C.R.42 operated by 1 ./NSGr.7 based at Banya-Luka. Croatia, May 1944. as part of Fliegerfiihrer Kroatien. Note alt-black undersurfaces, lack of underw ing crosses and tail swastika. The Italian rudder marking can still be seen beneath the camouflage and the outer ring of the original Italian upper wing markings was retained after the application of German insignia.