Depicted as it operated during 1944 with the 468th Bomb Group (part of the 58th Bomb Wing (Very Heavy)), B-29-1-BW 42-6242 was the 29th production Superfortress from the Boeing Wichita factory. With its four twin-gun fuselage turrets removed and stripped of armour protection and other equipment, it was used as a tanker to fly petrol over the Hump from India to China. It flew 30 such missions before returning to the USA in November 1944, bearing camel mission symbols on the nose.
Aircraft of the 73rd Bomb Wing were identified by the open square marking on the tail, while the letter above indicated the group - in this case T for the 498th BG. The "26” is an aircraft-in-unit number and the "last four" of the serial number (42-65210) are on the fin. Named "Fay", this Martin, Omaha, built B-29-5-MO was flown by the 874th Bomb Squadron.
Wichita-built B-29-45-BW "Cannuck" in the markings of the 73rd Bomb Wing's 500th Bomb Group ("Z" on tail). The black bar on the dorsal fin is a "lead crew" flash and the green fuselage band is believed to be a squadron indicator.
Serial 44-62260 was a B-29A-70-BN from the Boeing assembly line at Renton, and was close to the end of the production run. Minus armament, it was operated by the 581st Air Resupply and Communications Squadron within the Thirteenth Air Force.
The triangle marking on the tail of this B-29 indicates the 58th Bomb Wing, while the letter "N" shows it was operated by the 444th Bomb Group. The fuselage colour band was indicative of the individual squadron, believed to be the 677th BS in this case.
One of 89 Washington B Mk 1s delivered to the RAF in 1950/51, WF443 was a B-29A-50-BN, originally 44-61883; shown here in the markings of No 90 Squadron, it subsequently went to No 115 Squadron as KO:D.