Aeroplane Monthly 1986-10
-
E.Morgan, E.Shacklady - The basketweave bomber (3)
Prototype Wellington III L4251, fitted with Bristol Hercules HE1SM engines, in company with a Spitfire.
Wellington II T2545 was converted from a Mk IC.
Mk II prototype L4250 photographed in June 1941, after installation of the 40mm cannon turret but before the single fin and rudder was exchanged for twin units.
«Веллингтон» (per. L4250) с 40-мм пушкой и новым двухкилевым оперением
L4250, with experimental dorsal turret, in camouflage during trials.
Wellington Mk II prototype L4250 after modification with twin fins and rudders to cure instability caused by the experimental Vickers 40mm cannon turret. The centre fuselage had to be rebuilt as a stressed-skin structure because the normal geodetic frame was too flexible to allow accurate sighting of the gun. Powered by Merlin Xs, L4250 had made its first flight on March 3, 1939.
Detail views of the Vickers 40mm cannon dorsal turret fitted to L4250. The stressed-skin fuselage section is seen at left, with an internal view of the turret installation at right.
Prototype Wellington III L4251, fitted with Bristol Hercules HE1SM engines, in company with a Spitfire.
A close-up of a Rolls-Royce Merlin X engine in a Wellington II. The Merlin X was rated at 1,145 h.p.
The Frazer-Nash hydraulic front turret of a Mk II Wellington, showing the twin 0-303in Browning machine guns.
The twin-Browning tail turret of a Wellington II. The turrets used a 300 lb/in hydraulic supply.
Wellington Mk II (special turret)