First flying view of the new Polish tandem-seat SZD S-4 Kania 2 parasol monoplane which was first flown on 3rd September of this year at Mielec in Central Poland. Powered by a 125-h.p. licence-built Russian M-11 five-cylinder radial, the dual control, aerobatic and glider-towing Kania 2 has a maximum speed of 112 m.p.h. for an a.u.w. of 1,765 lb. Designer: Ing. E. Stankiewicz.
S-4 KANIA 2. This aircraft, designed by E. Stankiewicz, was developed from the earlier S-3 Kania, which was built in 1951 at the Bielsk Works, and was refused a permit to manufacture by the Aeronautical Institute in Warsaw, mainly on the grounds that there was no demand for this type of aeroplane. Recently, however, owing to a change of national policy, the design has been revived, modified and has now reappeared designated the S-4 Kania 2. Work started on the Kania 2 at the W.S.K. Works, Mielec, in April 1956, and an initial batch of three aircraft was put in hand, the first of which received a permit to fly on 31st August 1957 and made its maiden flight on 3rd September.
The Kania 2 is primarily envisaged as a replacement to the CSS-13 (Po-2, NATO "Mule"), and is intended to fill glider towing, parachute training and club flying and training roles. Powered by the same engine as the CSS-13, the M.11.D of 125 h.p., the Kania 2 shows a considerable improvement in overall performance. The aircraft is mainly constructed of wood, the single spar, 5-degree swept mainplanes being partially plywood covered. The fuselage, which is of the semi-monocoque type, is covered with a stressed plywood skin. The control surfaces are fabric covered. The tandem cockpits are fully equipped for dual control, the passenger occupying the front seat,'and the machine is fully aerobatic. The seats are suitable for the seat-type parachutes used by sporting parachutists, and there is a capacious luggage compartment behind the rear cockpit. The fixed undercarriage is sprung by rubber in tension, and low-pressure, small-diameter tyres are fitted. There is a possibility that a more powerful engine, M.11.FR of 160 h.p., will be fitted at a later date.