Самолеты, сегодня известные под одной маркой "Bernard", де-факто строились различными компаниями, основанными французским конструктором Адольфом Бернаром (также иногда А. Бернард). Первой из них в 1917 году стала компания ЕАВ ("Etablissements Adolphe Bernard"), а первым ее самолетом был двухместный ночной бомбардировщик АВ.1. Прототип АВ.2 был оснащен моторами большей мощности, а АВ.3 проектировался как грузопассажирский самолет.
Flight, January 1920
The Paris Aero Show 1919
The twin-engined machine shown on this stand is rather in a dark corner and thus does not, perhaps, attract the attention which it deserves. Superficially the machine looks much like any twin-engined machine, but a closer inspection reveals a number of interesting features. The fuselage is built entirely of wood, the longerons are roughly of rectangular section, or rather of a very flat L section with rounded corners. To them are attached the struts by means of three-ply corner pieces. The bracing is also of wood, in the form of long strips running from corner to corner. In each bay the strip running in one direction is single, while that running across it is split so as to accommodate between its two halves the corresponding single strip. The pilot is placed on the left-hand side in front, and control is by wheel and foot bar. A central passage leads through to what in the military machine was the rear gunner’s cockpit, which is now occupied by the "postman.” Along each side of the passage are placed mail boxes neatly arranged and easily accessible.
The two 200 h.p. Hispano-Suiza engines are placed in the angle between the Vee engine struts, and are supported from below by single undercarriage struts, braced laterally by wires. The petrol supply is automatic by two A.M. pumps forcing the fuel to a small gravity tank under the top plane. There are no petrol taps whatever in the whole petrol supply system.