Aeroplane Monthly 1974-09
-
C.West - A Cat on the Russian route
After evaluation at Felixstowe, Catalina P9630 was tested by Coastal Command squadrons. It was flown by the author in 1939.
The starboard cupola on the rear fuselage of "Cat". Twin Browning machine guns were carried on each side of the fuselage to protect the tail.
The Consolidated Catalina flying-boat
The cutaway diagram, below, shows the “living quarters’* of a Catalina. The engineer's position seems the least enviable.