Air Enthusiast 1972-04
D.Hunt - Recollections of the Canadian Sabre
This illustration shows the cockpit of a USAF North American F-86F-35, but the basic instrument layout and much of the additional equipment is common with that of the Canadair Sabres.
CL-13B Sabre Mk 6 of JG 71 "Richthofen" of Federal German Luftwaffe, Wittmundhafen, 1963.
CL-13B Sabre Mk 6 of No 17 Sqdn, Pakistan Air Force, Mauripur, 1968.
F-86E(M) Sabre Mk 4 of the 4 Aerobrigata, Aeronautica Militare Italiana, Practica di Mare, 1955.
CL-13B Sabre Mk 4 (XD727) of No 92 Sqdn, RAF, Linton-on-Ouse, 1954.
CL-13B Sabre Mk 6 of the Esquadron de Caza, Fuerza Aerea Colombiana, Palanquero, 1957.
CL-13B Sabre Mk 6 (23666) of No 439 Sqdn, RCAF, Marville, France, 1957.
The Luftwaffe bought 225 new Sabre Mk VIs from Canadair, to add to a batch of ex-RCAF Mk 5s acquired in 1957.
The standard version of the Canadair Sabre was the Sabre Mk 4, shown in the markings of No 92 Squadron.
Final production version of the Canadair Sabre was the Mk 6, built for the RCAF, as illustrated, and for Germany, South Africa and Colombia.
An RCAF Sabre Mk 2, the first of the Canadian-built versions to enter service.
The first Sabre Mk 6 of the South African Air Force.
The Luftwaffe bought 225 new Sabre Mk VIs from Canadair, to add to a batch of ex-RCAF Mk 5s acquired in 1957. Ninety of the former were transferred later to the Pakistan Aif Force, one of these ex-Luftwaffe aircraft being shown in the photograph.
One of the three Mk 2s supplied to the RAF in advance of the main batch of Mk 4s.
One of the six Sabre Mk 6s acquired by the Colombian Air Force.
After being phased out of service with the RAF, many Canadair Sabre Mk 4s were supplied, through the Mutual Defence Aid Program to Italy and Yugoslavia, and are shown in the markings of Italia.
After being phased out of service with the RAF, many Canadair Sabre Mk 4s were supplied, through the Mutual Defence Aid Program to Italy and Yugoslavia, and are shown in the markings of Yugoslavia.
Canadair CL-13 Sabre F Mk 4 XD727, individual aircraft "D" of No 92 Squadron, RAF, which operated Sabres from January 1954 to April 1956 within Fighter Command and based at Linton-on-Ouse.