All 18 University Air Squadrons were equipped with de Havilland Tiger Moths after the Second World War. Machines belonging to Glasgow UAS bore the codes RUG, and those belonging to Aberdeen UAS bore RUA. Tigers continued in service with UASs and RAF Volunteer Reserve units until February 1955, when the last few were replaced by Chipmunks.
The author flew in an Avro Shackleton MR.2 of 217 Sqn, based at Kinloss, when he took part in “Operation Snowdrop". This MR.2, WR957, was photographed over RAF Middleton St George, County Durham, on August 7, 1965.