Recently returned to the Science Museum at Kensington, S.E.5a G-EBIB is seen at Hendon on December 7, 1935, shortly after its C of A had expired. Owned by Maj Jack Savage and part of a large fleet of S.E.5as used for skywriting - note the smokepipes - ’IB was originally E938 with the REC/RAE. It was put on to the civil register in April 1924 and today is preserved in its skywriting guise, with a restoration to its correct configuration nearing completion.
Another former Savage S.E.5a was G-EBVB, seen here. Registered to Maj Savage in January 1928, it went to Australia in the same year. It later returned to Hendon and is seen here during a visit to Barton, Manchester in August 1933, piloted by W. Ogden. It is believed that it was attached to National Aviation Day Displays for that year’s season. The aircraft was scrapped at Hendon after expiry of its C of A in 1934.
Originally owned and operated by Imperial Airways and named City of Melbourne, Handley Page W.10 G-EBMM was sold to National Aviation Day Displays Ltd (NADD) in November 1933 and, based at Ford, was renamed Youth of New Zealand. The W.10 is pictured at Woodford on June 10,1933. Later that year the aircraft was converted to a tanker for flight-refuelling experiments with an Airspeed Courier for an attempted non-stop flight to India on September 24, 1934. Its job done, the tanks were removed and 'MM was flown to continue pleasure-tripping with NADD. During the flight the aircraft suffered structural failure and it was destroyed in the subsequent crash near Aston Clinton.
Westland IV G-EBXK was completed at Yeovil in 1929 and was modified to become a Wessex the following year. Originally powered by three 95 h.p. Cirrus IIIs, the aircraft was re-engined with three 105 h.p. Genet Major radials. After flying as the company demonstrator, G-EBXK ended up with Alan Cobham's National Aviation Displays Ltd and, based at Yapton, was operated for pleasure-flying throughout the 1935 season. The Wessex is seen here at about that time, painted in a light blue colour scheme.
Following ten years' storage after competing in the 1925 Lympne trials, Parnall Pixie II G-EBKM was sold to F. J. Cleare at May lands in April 1936, and it is seen there in August 1937. It was sold to Ray Bullock in August the following year, and crashed in April 1939.
Westland Widgeon III G-EBRO was chosen by E. J. Riding as the subject of a model for a wartime issue of Aero Modeller (two separate words in those days). When he photographed the real thing at Walsall Municipal Aerodrome on March 8, 1936, it was owned by the South Staffordshire Aero Club and painted in the club colours of red and silver. Sadly, this wonderful aircraft was scrapped during the war.
Completed in 1928 and first owned by the Liverpool & District Aero Club, Avro Avian IIIA G-EBXY was latterly operated by the Blackpool & Fylde Aero Club. In December 1939 'XY was impressed into the RAF and became instructional airframe 2078M. It is pictured here at Stanley Park, Blackpool.