Boeing 377 Stratocruiser G-AKGH Caledonia landing at Heathrow in April 1954. The characteristic nosewheel-first landing attitude is very apparent in this photograph.
A superb photograph of Stratocruiser G-AKGH, BOAC's flagship, painted in early all-silver livery.
Another view of the BOAC Stratocruiser flagship, this time in the later blue, white and silver scheme. A total of 16 Stratocruisers flew with BOAC over a 9yr period.
Boeing 377 Stratocruiser G-AKGH Caledonia undergoing overhaul at BOAC’s Heathrow maintenance base. BOAC ground engineers became very proficient at changing the aircraft's Pratt & Whitney Wasp Majors.
Stratocruiser G-ANTY Coriolanus receiving attention at Heathrow - the BOAC headquarters building in the background had recently been opened.
Stratocruiser G-ALSA Cathay taxis in with outer engines stopped in time-honoured fashion.
Stratocruiser G-AKGH Caledonia in the early all-silver BOAC livery. In August 1958 this aircraft was sold to Transocean and became N137A.
The flight deck of a Pan American Stratocruiser, with the flight engineer's panel in the right foreground. All major controls were located within easy reach of the right hand of the pilot and the left hand of the second pilot.
The Stratocruiser offered exceptional standards of comfort, and on long flights passengers on the top deck could stretch their legs by descending the spiral staircase to the lounge and cocktail bar below.