Aeroplane Monthly 1985-11
-
J.Stroud - Wings of Peace (1)
The Fokker F.IX PH-AGA with Pratt & Whitney Hornets and Townend rings.
The Avia-built F.IXD OK-AFG was fitted with three-bladed propellers. Two F.IXDs were built by this Czechoslovakian company, and were powered by Walter Pegasus II.M2 radial engines of 580 h.p.
The first Fokker F.XII, PH-AFL first flew early in 1931 and was delivered to KLM on January 16 of that year. Named Leeuwerik (Lark), PH-AFL made the first F.XII Far East flight on March 5-14, 1931. The aircraft was destroyed in a crash at Brilon on April 6, 1935.
With its tail well up KLM’s Fokker F.XII Uil takes off into a threatening sky.
The F.XII G-ADZJ, seen in Crilly Airways livery, had served with KLM as PH-AIE. It later passed to British Airways.
The Swedish F.XII, SE-ACZ, at Bromma in August 1946. It was then in Svensk Flygtjanst service. The aircraft was destroyed in a hangar fire a few months after the photograph was taken.
AB Aerotransport's F.XII Varmland was photographed left at Malmo wearing spats.
The Danish-built F.XIIM OY- DAJ at Kastrup, with Townend rings removed.
Airborne the F.XVIII PH-AIR.
The crew compartment of the F.IX.
Typical European service layout of a KLM F.XII cabin.
The cabin of a KLM F.XII with Eastern route layout. F.XIIs on this route usually had four sleeper seats in their 16ft-long cabins; the maximum seating for the type was 16, in four rows of three-abreast with two single seats forward and two aft.
In the less ominous weather in KEITH WOOD­COCK'S colour painting, AB Aerotransport’s F.XII SE-ACZ Varmland is seen in its original form.