Saunders-Roe’s S.R.45 Princess G-ALUN was an all-metal flying boat powered by ten 3,780 h.p. Bristol Proteus 600 engines. Brian Cox took a five-bob trip round Cowes harbour in September 1952 and took this pictures. The evening sunlight and the busy atmosphere make these photographs particularly pleasing. Fifteen years later, after years of speculation as to its future, G-ALUN was towed by tug to a breaker’s yard at Southampton, where the last of the line of great British flying boats was reduced to scrap.
Short Solent 3 N9947F, ex NJ2O5 and BOAC’s G-AKNT Singapore was photographed by N. Scherrer at Richmond, California, in May 1972. It was sold to the USA in 1955 and delivered to South Pacific Air Lines in November of that year. Originally stored at Oakland, it is seen shortly before being broken up
Short Solent 4 G-AOBL Aotearoa II was sold in Portugal in October 1958 by previous owners Aquila Airways. Anton Le Noble’s photograph was taken at Lisbon in May 1971, not long before the aircraft was broken up.
Short Solent 2 G-AHIL Salisbury was converted to a Solent 3 and renamed City of Salisbury in 1950. Photo shows the flying boat moored at Hamworth near Poole in Dorset, where it was photographed by G. C. Bailey.
Short Solent 2 G-AHIL Salisbury was converted to a Solent 3 and renamed City of Salisbury in 1950. By April 1958, when photo was taken, the tail unit had been removed and G-AHIL was soon to be no more.
Short Solent 4 G-ANYI is seen on the banks of the River Tagus at Lisbon, Portugal, in August 1971, when it was photographed by Anton Le Noble. Previously ZK-AMN Awatere of TEAL, this aircraft was sold to Aquila in 1955 and then to the Portuguese company ARTOP in September 1958. It remained beached on the Tagus until broken up in 1971.