The Snyder Glider during assembly at South Bend High School early in 1932. Dr Snyder is in the dark overcoat, and S. M. Pierce is in the white shopcoat with Fred Herreman beside him. Note the unusual wing section.
The glider became the Monowing with the Henderson-Heath engine installed.
The glider in flight, its internal structure visible through the unbleached muslin, minus aluminium primer.
Glen Doolittle in the glider with its narrow-track undercarriage and “wing fence” fins.
The generous wing area made an ideal billboard, and the S-4 is seen here, nearest the camera, covered with Sears-Roebuck commercials. It also wore political slogans for the 1935 elections.
Arup No 2, the most widely-travelled of the series, at the 1933 Chicago Air Races. Powered by a 36 h.p. Continental A-40, it logged several hundred flying hours without mishap.
The S-2 and S-4 at Bendix Field, South Bend, toward the end of their lives. The S-2 has a Szeckley engine, which gave it a poorer performance than with the original Continental installation.
Arup No 3 during its only flight.
The wing tip ailerons and long-stroke undercarriage show up well in this shot of the Arup No 2. Test flights, with Glen Doolittle piloting, began in April 1933, and it had a top speed of 97 m.p.h.
The S-2 with the original Continental installation.