Aeroplane Monthly 1987-11
-
G.Levett - Spitfires over the Strip (2)
Этот "Спитфайр" Mk.IX израильтяне использовали для ведения разведки
One of a large number of Spitfire IXs acquired from Czechoslovakia in 1948 and put into service with the Israeli Chel Ha’Avir.
A Spitfire ‘10’ was the first Israeli Spitfire D-130 and later 2001. It was probably photographed at Hatzor air base in late 1948 or early 1949.
A clipped wing Israeli Spitfire LF.IXE. In order to increase the range for the ferry flights from Czechoslovakia to Israel 90gal slipper tanks were fitted which, with additional internal tankage, increased the aircraft's range to more than 1,400 miles.
In 1955 the Israelis disposed of the best 18 Spitfires to the Burmese Air Force. In this photograph a number of Israeli Spitfires are being prepared for the ferry flight to Burma.