VL PYORREMYRSKY. The supply of fighters by Germany to the Finnish Air Force in 1945 had to be suspended because of the worsening position of production for the Luftwaffe. To safeguard against this eventuality, the Finnish Air Force laid down a specification for a single-seat interceptor fighter which would be powered by the German 1,475-h.p. Daimler-Benz DB 605 AC 12-cylinder inverted-Vee inline motor. The design was to use wooden construction in order to conserve vital metal supplies. The result was the trim-looking VL Pyorremyrsky (Whirlwind) which was first flown in 1945. Only one prototype was completed when the final truce with the Russians was concluded. Two cannon, one in each wing, were fitted. The Pyorremyrsky was designed and built by VL-Valtion Metallitehtaat, Lentokonetehaat - the State Metal Works, Aircraft Factories. The roundels are white, blue and white.