A-17A of the 90th AS, Barksdale Field. Squadron commander’s aircraft. A-17A of the Materiel Division, Wright Field.
A-17A of the 90th Attack Squadron during the 1938 war games. Camouflage was applied with water-based colours. The fuselage bands denote the commander's aircraft.
Canadian Nomad 3513 of 3 Training Command.
One of the two Bristol Pegasus XII engined Model 8A-1 built at El Segundo for the Swedish Air Force. A full year after the Douglas take-over, the trademark on the fin still reads Northrop.
ASJA-built B5s were recognisable by the front-mounted antenna mast and bubble canopy.
A Norwegian Douglas Model 8A-5N during reception flight. This variant was the most powerful of all Model 8s, easily recognisable by the large engine cowling with its upper air intake.
The USAAF operated ex-Norwegian aircraft under the designation A-33. This one, belonging to an unknown unit, was photographed at Moffett Field, California, on March 7, 1942.
Canadian Nomads were mainly used as advanced trainers with Bombing & Gunnery Schools.
A batch of 13 A-33s were delivered to Peru by the USAAF. Camouflaged example at la Palmas Air Base, Lima, in 1959. It is most certainly one of the very last flying aircraft of the type.
Peru ordered ten Model 8A-3Ps, this example photographed before delivery on December 12,1938. Note that the Northrop insignia has been retained on the fin but it reads Douglas.
An Argentine Model 8A-2 awaiting delivery. Argentina purchased 30 aircraft and the type was operated until 1955.
The Argentine Model 8A-2s were camouflaged and operated by the Regimiento de Ataque 3, stationed near Mendoza.
A total of 61 ex-French aircraft were handed over by the RAF as Nomad Is. AS441, shown here, was the second of these aircraft. Most of them were delivered to the SAAF. Note the exhaust stack.
The Model 8A-3Ns were delivered to the Netherlands in October 1939. Up until the end of the year, they were painted with the Dutch insignia as used from 1920, an inverted orange triangle outlined in black.
A Dutch Model 8A-3N showing the new national insignia. Nearly all these aircraft were lost during the German attack on May 10, 1940.
The detailed story of the Iraqi Northrops is not known but they were most probably destroyed on the ground by RAF aircraft in 1941.
One-piece wing centre section of the A-17. Fuel cells not yet installed.
The centre wing section was attached to the fuselage by six bolts.
A-17 fuselage was designed into two halves facilitating assembly and riveting.
The multicellular wing of the A-17 inherited from the famous Northrop Gamma permitted the easy installation of fuel tanks.
Underside of the A-17 outer port wing panel. The Curtiss H-75 (P-36) wings featured identical units.
Thanks to the semi-monocoque construction, the fuselage was both light and robust. Fuselage interior behind the rear cockpit. Command cables and pulleys are evident.
Pratt & Whitney R-1535-11 Twin Wasp Junior as mounted on the A-17.
Port side of the pilot's cockpit showing engine controls and armament panel.
Starboard side of the pilot’s cockpit showing engine gauges, cowl flaps command and starter pedal.
A-17 A gunner’s station. The storage compartment for the machine-gun, with its folding doors on the top of the fuselage, is visible on the right.