Air Enthusiast 2006-01
The Roundels File
Production batch Mk.III HX238 served all of its life at Boscombe Down, where it was photographed in April 1944 - note the Douglas Bostons in the background. It was used for trials of the Boulton Paul Type D twin-gun turret, complete with the gun-laying radar.
Preston-built Mk. VI RG814 was used mostly by Bristol on engine trials and is shown in Canada. Behind is Avro Lincoln 1 RE250 and some Douglas Dakotas. RG814 was struck off charge in May 1948.
English Electric, Preston-built Met.VI ST804 of 224 Squadron with Lancasters behind. It served only with 224, and was sold for scrap in December 1952. ST804 was based throughout at Aldergrove, with detachments to Gibraltar.
Preston-built Mk. VI RG814 was used mostly by Bristol on engine trials and is shown in Canada. Behind is Avro Lincoln 1 RE250 and some Douglas Dakotas. RG814 was struck off charge in May 1948.
Halifax B.ll Series I W1048 ‘TL-S’ of 35 Squadron, Linton-on-Ouse. Ditched in Lake Hoklingen, Norway, April 27, 1942, following a raid on the 'Tirpitz'. It was recovered in July 1973 and is currently in the RAF Museum, Hendon.
Halifax GR.II Series IA HR686 J2 of 58 Squadron, Coastal Command, St David's, in June 1944.
Halifax B.III PN369 'A' of 1341 Flight, SEAC in 1945. Note ‘normal’ roundel and fin flash converted to SEAC pattern by applying medium blue over the red and yellow elements on the markings. (No.1341 Flight was variously based in India at Allahbad, Poona or Digri at this time.)
Halifax B.V LK765 'QO-B' 'Block Buzzer' of 432 Squadron, RCAF, Skipton-on Swale, in 1945. Note sortie markers in 'pints' of beer and 30th shown as a beer barrel.
Halifax B.VI RG505 'DY-M' of 102 Squadron, 4 Group, Pocklington, February to May 1945. Daylight sortie formation markers on the fin in red, with codes outlined yellow for clearer identification.
Halifax B.VII NP742 'Embraseable U', of 408 Squadron. RCAF, Linton-on-Ouse, with 43 sorties, circa January 1945.
The prototype Halifax L7244 was assembled at Bicester, Oxfordshire, and was first flown by James Cordes on October 25,1939. It flew on manufacturer's and Boscombe Down trials followed by a spell with the first Halifax unit, 35 Squadron. It ended its days with the Airborne Forces Experimental Establishment before becoming an instructional airframe in August 1942.
Second prototype Halifax, L7245, was the first to have full armament. It first flew at Radlett on August 17,1940, and was delivered for trials to Boscombe Down. It became an instructional airframe in December 1942.
Radlett-built Mk.I L9515 became the prototype Mk.II and was first flown by Cordes on July 3, 1941. As illustrated, it was used for long nacelle trials n November 1942. It was used throughout by Handley Page and Boscombe Down before becoming an instructional airframe in October 1943.
Mk.II R9441 'TL-S' of 35 Squadron, February 1942. No.35 was the first unit to operate the Halifax, forming up at Boscombe Down in November 1940. R9441 later joined 102 Squadron and finally served with 1652 Conversion Unit. It crashed at Marston Moor on April 4, 1943.
Mk.II Series 1 W1245 'EY-B' of 78 Squadron was built by English Electric at Samlesbury. It went missing on a raid to Mainz on August 12,1942.
Radlett-built Mk.II HR926 'TL-L' of 35 Squadron. It served only with 35, and went missing on a raid to Kassel on October 23,1943.
Production batch Mk.III HX238 served all of its life at Boscombe Down, where it was photographed in April 1944 - note the Douglas Bostons in the background. It was used for trials of the Boulton Paul Type D twin-gun turret, complete with the gun-laying radar.
English Electric-built Mk.III NR169 served exclusively with 466 Squadron RAAF. In May 1946 it was acquired by the Australian-born aircraft designer Geoffrey Wickner, registered as G-AGXA and called 'Waltzing Matilda'. He flew the machine to his homeland, where it became VH-BDT before being scrapped in 1948.
A.III NA135 of 190 Squadron at Great Dunmow in June 1945 - an Anson and Stirlings behind. Built at Speke by Rootes in 1945, it served only with 190 and was struck off charge in February 1947.
Preston-built Mk. VI RG814 was used mostly by Bristol on engine trials and is shown in Canada. Behind is Avro Lincoln 1 RE250 and some Douglas Dakotas. RG814 was struck off charge in May 1948.
English Electric, Preston-built Met.VI ST804 of 224 Squadron with Lancasters behind. It served only with 224, and was sold for scrap in December 1952. ST804 was based throughout at Aldergrove, with detachments to Gibraltar.
После войны один из самолетов Halifax VI, RG815 Mercury, принадлежавший радиошколе британских ВВС в Дебдене, стал знаменит, совершив перелет протяженностью 40233 км с целью демонстрации возможностей радио- и радиолокационного оборудования. За это время самолет побывал в Ираке, Индии, Сингапуре и Австралии.
The Empire Radio School's Preston-built Mk.VI RG815 returning to its base at Debden after its 25,000 mile, three-month tour to Australia and New Zealand, November 1946.
Rootes-built GR.V Series 1 DG250 of 518 Squadron. It last flew with 1674 Conversion Unit and was struck off charge in July 1945.
Handley Page Halifax B.II. Additional side-views show (upper) prototype and (middle) Mk.II
Handley Page Halifax B.III. Additional side vew (middle) shows the prototype.
A.III NA135 of 190 Squadron at Great Dunmow in June 1945 - an Anson and Stirlings behind. Built at Speke by Rootes in 1945, it served only with 190 and was struck off charge in February 1947.
A.III NA135 of 190 Squadron at Great Dunmow in June 1945 - an Anson and Stirlings behind. Built at Speke by Rootes in 1945, it served only with 190 and was struck off charge in February 1947.
Pannier-equipped C.VIII PP225 under flight test from Radlett in July 1945. It served at Boscombe Down and then with 301 (Polish) Squadron before being struck off charge in December 1949.
Radlett-built A.IX RT796 served initially with 47 Squadron before joining 295 Squadron (illustrated). It was destroyed when the undercarriage collapsed during a heavy landing at Fairford on February 3, 1948.