'KK+LX' w/nr 2133 was the first Do 24T-3 delivered to the EdA. All Luftwaffe markings but the fuselage factory codes were replaced by Spanish ones just before delivery.
Civil markings and white fuselage bands and upper wing discs with red crosses were applied to the EdA Do 24s in order to avoid confusion with Luftwaffe machines. Wing roundels were replaced by the EdA standard ones. This is w/nr 3347, the fourth Do 24.
In November 1945, after the end of World War Two, the Do 24s received new military unit markings. A second EdA roundel and a virgin's name, in white lettering, appeared on both sides of the front fuselage, as well as tail serials. The white areas with red crosses were not restored.
Shortage of material in the early 1950s made the aircraft appear crudely overpainted, or simply worn out.
Taken in the summer of 1971, HD.5-4 shows the elegant lines of the tough German flying-boat. For some unknown reason, the 'SAR' letters were larger than those painted on the other three examples.
Just before leaving for Pollensa, on May 30, 1944, Major Pombo and other members of the EdA group shake hands and exchange salutes with their Luftwaffe instructors. Noteworthy are the towel rack-type FuG 101 antenna under the wing; Spanish red-yellow-red roundels and rudder flag; ‘KK+LX’ factory code.
The first Do 24T-3 'KK+LX', ready to depart for Spain from the Luftwaffe's Berre Seefliegerhorst. Note life jacket-equipped Luftwaffe crewman in the foreground.
After celebrating a religions ceremony, a priest blessed the Do 24s at Pollensa. Maybe this was the moment when the aircraft received the 'virgin' names. Fourth Do 24, EC-DAB, is clearly visible in the background.
One of the first Do 24T-3s is lifted by the Pollensa's crane shortly before being moved to the base's apron.
Fine study of EC-DAB anchored off Pollensa. Noteworthy are the white fuselage bands and upper wing disks with red crosses, as well as overpainted former fuselage factory codes.
Poor quality picture of HR.5-7 '51-7' 'Virgen del Camino'.
Anchored in Pollensa Bay in 1952, HR.5-8 sporting a surprisingly fresh paint scheme. The lettering 'Virgen de la Luz' is visible just behind the front fuselage roundel.
In the early 1950s the white bands with red crosses became unnecessary and they were not repainted. In some cases, they even tried to cover them with brush-strokes of the increasingly scarce green paint. As can be seen from this picture of HR.7-10 ‘51- 10’ 'Virgen de la Paloma’.
Between May 12-14,1953, a group of EdA flight and maintenance members was sent to Karouba in Tunisia on board HR.5-11. It is seen here about to take off from Saint-Mandrier for Karouba. By this time the fuselage white bands with red crosses were almost completely worn out, as seen on HR.5-11 '51-11' 'Virgen de los Ojos Grandes'.
From May 1954 the Do 24s received 'DO-24T-3-XX' serials, as on this, the eleventh EdA Do 24. Note 'Virgen de los Ojos Grandes' lettering on nose and '51-1' unit code.
During 1953 a new scheme was adopted. HR.5-6 '51-6' 'Virgen de la Esperanza', was one of the Do 24s on which experimental paints were unsuccessfully tested. The new scheme comprised an overall ‘bottle green' finish with yellow bands along the fuselage and on the wingtips.
He 60 ‘60-5' was one of two of the type operated by the ‘He 59/He 60 Flight', later 51 Regimiento, 1939 to 1948. Note wartime 2-G-62's emblem on tail.
One of six IMAM Ro.43 internees later acquired by the Ed A. The 'matricola militare' serial is not clearly visible preventing the aircraft from being identified. The lettering 'FIUME' leads to suppose this aircraft was operated from an Italian Regia Marina heavy cruiser - which acted as recovery ship, sunk by the Allies during the Battle of Cape Matapan, Greece.